Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BURNOUT IN AUTOMATIC (how does everyone do it?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:28 PM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BURNOUT IN AUTOMATIC (how does everyone do it?)

Well what about rental cars? My buddy came back out here from iraq, and had a dodge stratus....fully insured, of course!
Well, he was slightly intoxicated, so I decided to drift a FWD car....Poor rear tires had so many flatspots....
But i would be going 30 mph, throw it in neutral, rev to 5k, and throw it in drive!
Did a few reverse 180's, and a few forward 270's!

Poor car....We (not me this time) actually crashed into a curb, both front tires went up the curb.......There was not one scratch on the bumper, tires were barely scuffed....I wonder why to this day....
Old 08-19-2006, 06:26 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

ok ok ill give you the secret. first get your boost at about 7 psi and then floor it lol :P
Old 08-19-2006, 09:19 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

ok ok ill give you the secret. first get your boost at about 7 psi and then floor it lol :P
Hey petepete since you already had two Mustang (Procharger & Vortech) s/c 4.0’s, how do you get 7psi of boost with a auto to floor it off the line to per burn out when they don’t start making kind of boost till around 3500 rpm or higher?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

Interesting discussion on the merits of an auto vs a manual when drag racing. Generally, all things being even, if the stick can hole shot the automatic and doesn't miss a shift it will win. Again generally, if the automatic stays with him out of the hole the automatic will win due to faster more consistent shifts. Want the best of both worlds? Google clutchflite. I've don't have personal knowledge of anyone doing this with a Ford automatic, but it could probably be done. The other option the automatic driver has is a higher stall speed torque converter. The torque converter change will go a long way toward eliminating the sticks advantage and would be much simpler than modifying the transmission to accept a clutch assembly.

Of course the other way of looking at the clutchflite is that it has all the disadvantages of both the stick and automatic.

Here's a paragraph from a Hot Rod Magazine article on hot rodding 30 years ago...

In drivetrains, automatics were only beginning to find a following. B&M was the premier automatic builder, with the torque converter the biggest drawback. This led to the proliferation of ClutchFlite and Clutch Hydro automatics, which fitted a clutch to the automatic and replaced the converter. This was the era when hot rodders reviled slush box automatics, a time when a real man would drive only a four-speed. HOT ROD was full of “crash box†techniques to produce quicker shifts.

Whole article: http://www.hotrod.com/thehistoryof/1...t_rod_history/

Oh yeah, and forget any of the suggestions about slamming the automatic into gear.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:43 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

[/quote]

Hey petepete since you already had two Mustang (Procharger & Vortech) s/c 4.0’s, how do you get 7psi of boost with a auto to floor it off the line to per burn out when they don’t start making kind of boost till around 3500 rpm or higher?

[/quote]

Just keep it at redline!!! LOL nah

Like 3500rpm is about 1psi for me with my procharger I get up to 6psi at like 5500 - 6000 rpm. I don't think I get the full 6 in first and second though, more like 5psi I believe. 3rd and 4th get the full 6psi . I'll haft to check it again!!! LOL[8D]
Old 08-20-2006, 01:46 AM
d2honeyz

Turn off traction control, hold brake, hit gas, (put a chip in it, it makes a difference) ease off break. where did you ever get a stupid idea to do a nuetral drop or reverse and hit drive? you won't have to worry about burnouts, as the transmission will be gone.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

To the guy that laughed at my first post (page one), I happen to like my Mustang way too much to abuse the sh@t out of it and blow the transmission or a rod. Maybe mommy and daddy will pay for it, but I've worked way to hard to mistreat my Stang that way. As you get older maybe you'll start appreciating things more (hopefully).
Tom
Old 08-21-2006, 02:42 PM
McBudd
2nd Gear Member

I am not one that gets into the whole burning out thing and I don't have any performance mods on my car. I can tell you that the '06 autos will burn out. I was trying to pull out into traffic and got tired of waiting for a gap in traffic, so when i noticed a tiny hole I floored it and my tires barked and did a burnout. Not what I wanted to do, but my point is they did.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:08 PM
chuckcsf
2nd Gear Member

That same thing happend to me last week. I don't know how I did it but I did do a burn out. This was the very first time that it happend and I could never do it again. I guess its how you work the gas? I'm all stock also so it couldn't have been the tuner. It was around 1pm and it was sunny and around 90 out.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:37 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

Just keep it at redline!!! LOL nah

Like 3500rpm is about 1psi for me with my procharger I get up to 6psi at like 5500 - 6000 rpm. I don't think I get the full 6 in first and second though, more like 5psi I believe. 3rd and 4th get the full 6psi . I'll haft to check it again!!! LOL[8D]
id get a smaller pully and have a wastegate purge off extra air at certain psi... 1psi at 3500.. im sorry.. but to me thats not worth the money.. i would want to see atleast 5-8 psi at that rpm.. then it being maintained for the reast of the rpm range

Quick Reply: BURNOUT IN AUTOMATIC (how does everyone do it?)