Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is Pirelli Nero Zero tread directional

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default Is Pirelli Nero Zero tread directional

I should be getting my GT takeoffs soon.. and was wondering... from looking at pictures of the Nero Zero tread, it is not symettrical. So, I assume they have to go on one side? if so, how do you tell which side. In the center zone of the tire, there are three curved cuts in the tire. Two sweep one way, and one sweeps the other.

Do they go one so the point of the two sweeps is in the forward rotating position?

See picture here

http://www.pzeronero.com/en_PZ/produ...0003&s2=600002

Old 08-28-2006, 03:59 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Is Pirelli Nero Zero tread directional

one side of the tire is clearly marked "outside".
Old 08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Quote:
On the outside, the P Zero Nero M+S radial's silica-enhanced tread compound is blended to provide adhesive characteristics during high temperatures in the dry and low temperatures in the wet or snow. This compound is molded into an asymmetric tread design that features stable outside shoulder blocks combined with notched, continuous center ribs that increase footprint rigidity to enhance grip during acceleration and braking. Shoulder grooves and circumferential channels allow water to flow through the tread design to resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction. On the inside, the P Zero Nero M+S features twin steel belts to provide strength and durability on top of a polyester cord body.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:48 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

That really doesn't help. That makes sure the tire is mounted on the wheel correctly. Now, I can mount the wheel on either the left or right, in which case the pattern rotating forward toward the road is different.... they're not symettrical, so there has to be a "right" side to put them on.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:06 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

Uh, it does help. You mount the outside of the tire on the outside of the wheel. Then you put them on your car facing "outside" If you put them on the driver side outside will be on the left and on the passenger side outside will be on the right (from the driver's seat)
Old 08-28-2006, 10:05 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: LX200

That really doesn't help. That makes sure the tire is mounted on the wheel correctly. Now, I can mount the wheel on either the left or right, in which case the pattern rotating forward toward the road is different.... they're not symetrical, so there has to be a "right" side to put them on.
Sorry I bothered to go outside and actually look at my tires so I could try to help you.

Anyway, I just went out and looked again and that's all it says on them. "outer". No direction. Just "outer".

The tread is in opposite directions on each side of the car too but the side of the tire marked "outer" is always "out" so, I think that's all that seems to matter.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

^ had a better answer.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:41 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Wow... asymettrical tread and it doesn't matter which way they are mounted? That is really weird.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:44 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joshetc

Uh, it does help. You mount the outside of the tire on the outside of the wheel. Then you put them on your car facing "outside" If you put them on the driver side outside will be on the left and on the passenger side outside will be on the right (from the driver's seat)
This is weird. It means dispite the fact that the treads are not symmetrial, it does not matter how they are put on...... hummm....
Old 08-29-2006, 08:48 AM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

That really doesn't help. That makes sure the tire is mounted on the wheel correctly. Now, I can mount the wheel on either the left or right, in which case the pattern rotating forward toward the road is different.... they're not symetrical, so there has to be a "right" side to put them on.
Sorry I bothered to go outside and actually look at my tires so I could try to help you.

Anyway, I just went out and looked again and that's all it says on them. "outer". No direction. Just "outer".

The tread is in opposite directions on each side of the car too but the side of the tire marked "outer" is always "out" so, I think that's all that seems to matter.
You are right, of course the outer will remain on the outside no matter where the tire is mounted on the car. This is not a tough problem guys!

Quick Reply: Is Pirelli Nero Zero tread directional