Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Satellite Radio antenna placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:55 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

Default Satellite Radio antenna placement

I had an aftermarket head unit and indash XM system installed this week and the installer placed the XM antenna right above the wind shield. Now everytime I walk out I see this black square staring at me. I wish I had noticed at the time of the install but what was suppopse to take an hour turned into 2 1/2 so by the time it was done I had to jump in and leave to make another appointment. The wire seems to come from the inside up and around the stripping on the wind shied to the center of the roof. I would like to move it to the back. I think I can run it under the black trim piece that runs along the top but once I get to the back glass there is no weather stripping to secure it under. For those that have installed Sat radio how did you run your antenna? Or does any one have any ideas how to secure the wire run the way I plan?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Satellite Radio antenna placement

I've seen installations like that but more frequently they seem to mount them just forward of the rear window. I prefer mounting the antenna on the trunk lid just aft of its leading edge. I think that location interrupts the Mustang's lines less.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:23 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

I would prefer either one of those, but the problem is securing the antenna wire in the back. If it can't be done from the outside is there a good way to run it inside and then to the trunk?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

Trunk mount: My Sirius receiver came with a stick on strip to cover the wire for a few inches where it runs across the surface of the trunk lid. You can remove the side kick panel under the dash, the sill and perhaps the rear kick panel and rear seat to route the antenna wire to the trunk, then around to the center of the trunk. You can buy wire ties with a screw mounting hole to help route the wire in the trunk. Make sure you leave enough antenna wire so it will be able to flex and extend when you open the trunk.

Rear top mount: Basically the same except you would need to route the antenna wire up and through the rear window seal. The trunk mount has the advantage of not requiring this and thus not making sealing up the hole an issue.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:09 PM
LisaJ429
2nd Gear Member

i have my antenna on the inside on the front dash. here is a pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/27161/D908D656C02E4889AFB525961A4FCEA6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-25-2006, 09:41 PM
powerProdigy
2nd Gear Member

i tucked the wire under the center consol, to the back seat, somehow under it or on the side of it into the trunk area. then i opened the trunk, picked up the antenna and shoved it inbetween the rear window and rear most trunk lip, and all i do is open the trunk and stick it to the under side when i take it to the car wash. I wish i could post a pic but i got no camera
Old 08-25-2006, 10:57 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Try mounting it in the back deck......Works great for me....

Old 08-25-2006, 11:30 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

When I had my Roady in I ran to the back via the center console but still had the wire running from the center console to the back seat. What did you do with that section of wire?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:43 PM
gwDiesel

ORIGINAL: LisaJ429

i have my antenna on the inside on the front dash. here is a pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/27161/D908D656C02E4889AFB525961A4FCEA6.jpg[/IMG]
Mine appears to be the same one, I have it mounted on the top left corner by the driver door and the front window. I rarely notice it there personally... They have gotten so small, not like the first one I had that looked about the size of a baseball...gads!
Old 08-26-2006, 12:04 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Well, I have my Roady XT actually mounted inside the center console. So, the antenna wire runs forward toward the shifter, into the front dash. Then I ran it around the passenger side foot well, under the door trim on the passenger side. Then, just ran it next to the rear seat, into the trunk. Came back up behind the seat, and put a little piece of velcro on the back of the antenna. Sticks to the back deck carpeting beautifully, and no exposed wires anywhere.....

Mike

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio antenna placement