Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

shame

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 03:35 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: shame

This whole speed and power thing is really getting out of hand. My 6'er, with 93 octane tune, CAI and Ford Racing Muffler seems DAMN FAST. I am constantly shocked when I look down at the speedometer and see how fast I am going. We give a few tenths away to '04 GT's on 0-60 (modded 6'er vs. stock GT).

This is by far the fastest car I have ever owned. It gets to 60 in no time. The whole speed thing really becomes a numbers thing, and if you really look at the difference, it's stunning how small it is.

For instance... Start looking at your watch. When the second hand hits the top, imagine you are heading down the line for a quarter mile. Now, the GT will get to 60 in about 5.5 seconds... your modded V6'er will get there a little over a second and a half later. A second and a half. Actually watch the second hand get to 5.3 (use your imagination for the .3), then you take ONE SECOND and a Half longer to get to 60. Huh? Big freaking deal. Now if it was a 9.9 second car 0-60, then you really feel the 4.4 second difference. But the difference is 1.5 seconds.

Now for the 1/4 mile... watch the second hand all the way to 14 seconds... seem to take forever, now the GT has gone 1/4 mile, now 1.5 seconds later, which takes no time, the V6 has gone 1/4 mile. I KNOW IF I AM AT A DRAG race track the GT was 130 ft ahead of me.... but... I DON'T DRAG RACE.

After saying all this, if a magic fairy could come down and change my V6 into GT, I'd let her do it. But there is no Magic Fairy, and many folks here who say "I got a GT for the same payment as my V6" are totally missing the point. A car is not a payment. It is a total cost. If you had three years left on your 5 year V6 loan, and you just reupped for a 6 year loan at the same payment, you have spent MANY THOUSANDS more money for the GT.

Again, this is no knock on people upgrading to a GT. Go for it. In my book....

1. The V6 is plenty fast. Far faster than over 85% of the cars on the road
2. I don't street race and I don't go to the track
3. My total cost of ownership will be many thousands less (probably $10,000 over the life of the car). Put that extra $10,000 down on your Mortgage and you'll save $20,000 over the life of your loan. Anybody know how to do time value of money calcs?
4. My V6'er will turn just as many heads as any V8
5. If I chose to, I can spend 1/2 the $10,000 I saved, put in a supercharger, and BEAT the GT in a race. I doubt I will, because the speed is not an issue for me.

Having said all that, damn, I'd like to have a GT. Just because. But if I use logic, common sense, and sound financial thought, it does not make sense for me.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:35 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

Well the v6's are normally like 5 grand cheaper and still a great car so since they had wanted like $30,000 for a GT like most i copped a v6 instead. But if your gonna like engine mod up the ying yang then after the costs itll pretty much add up to a GT and still get around the same power depending on what your doing to them so it'd just make sense to buy one in the 1st place. Ill be honest if i could afford a GT i would get one because then you dont have to add a bunch of stuff to make great power its the strongest 4.6L theyve released so your pretty much set. But like u said I still love my 6er lol.
If they had GT's around here for only $5K more than the V6 when I bought mine, I would have seriously looked at the GT. But around here, my V6 Pony Package, with just about all the options on it, I bought for $21,400. The closest GT I could find in price was still over $29K[:@]

But then again, the same dealerships around here were marking the GT500's up almost $20,000 and GETTING that!

I was seriously considering trading the V6 in when I saw that 0 down/ 0% for 72 incentive. But now...after coming back to my senses, I figure I can always take the money saved and mod out the V6 even more. Sure, it will still never be a GT, but it would never have costed me as much, in operating and insurance costs, not to mention purchase price. And if one really needed to be able to "KILL" anything else on the road, the $8K difference in price will buy alot of supercharger/turbocharger/nitrous/internal work/gearing/handling/etc, etc, etc. And it would still be cheaper to insure. Plus, you would have the added satisfaction of seeing jaws drop when they find out you did it in a V6
Old 08-26-2006, 03:42 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

I said it once before and ill say t again. I could easily afford a gt But modding a v6 to make gt owners feel bad is so much more fun =)
Old 08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
StoneWolf
1st Gear Member

I guess I'm lucky they don't have this deal in Canada, because I would be REALLY tempted.

Don't get me wrong, the V6 has the style I want and has enough power, but the sound of a V8 is just so nice My dad has an 01 GT and my 06 V6 sounds so wimpy in comparison.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:00 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Lol ya my estimate was from autotrader.....I forgot to take into consideration the dealership jack up prices....They have an 06 GT at the dealership Auto, leather, Its been there for over half a year and its still $30,000 i think thats rediculous plus they got an 06 V6 for $25000 which has been there as long. Its rediculous i tell ya
Old 08-26-2006, 06:28 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

Lol ya my estimate was from autotrader.....I forgot to take into consideration the dealership jack up prices....They have an 06 GT at the dealership Auto, leather, Its been there for over half a year and its still $30,000 i think thats rediculous plus they got an 06 V6 for $25000 which has been there as long. Its rediculous i tell ya
Trust me if they have been on the lot that long they will make a deal. Back when I was really hurting for a job I sold cars for a few months. When ever a car set on the lot more than six months they started putting bounties on them. After six months the dealer has to start paying interest on the cars so it actually starts costing them to have the car on the lot.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Mansmadlogic
1st Gear Member

plus with 8k in mods your will out perform gt easly
Old 08-27-2006, 12:19 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

With a few bolt ons, the V6 is impressive at the track and runs along side older V8's. I'm curious to see if the people that crossed over will do perfromance modificaitons past the typical CAI/Tuner and mufflers. I can understand the viewpoint of them wanting a faster car, that is covered under warrenty with no fear of issues with the dealer.

As for me, I'm waiting for the Boss. That is what will be in my garage next, parked right next to my six banger. But I was toying with the idea of pulling my Stella into a dealership parking lot, and seeing how they would react to a trade in. LOL. (no I wouldn't trade her in for anything, but would be funny to see them trying to figure it out) They are desperate to sell cars right now, and I think it has to do with the fact that 45% (ball park figure) of thier truck sales took a hit due to gas prices. We are talking Fords back bone sales here. As much as we love our stangs, and would like to believe we put the money in fords pockets (and we do to an extent), thier trucks is where its at for them.

I love all mustangs, so as long as people stick with mustangs, I'm happy for them and thier GT purchase.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:37 PM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

This whole speed and power thing is really getting out of hand. My 6'er, with 93 octane tune, CAI and Ford Racing Muffler seems DAMN FAST. I am constantly shocked when I look down at the speedometer and see how fast I am going. We give a few tenths away to '04 GT's on 0-60 (modded 6'er vs. stock GT).

This is by far the fastest car I have ever owned. It gets to 60 in no time. The whole speed thing really becomes a numbers thing, and if you really look at the difference, it's stunning how small it is.

For instance... Start looking at your watch. When the second hand hits the top, imagine you are heading down the line for a quarter mile. Now, the GT will get to 60 in about 5.5 seconds... your modded V6'er will get there a little over a second and a half later. A second and a half. Actually watch the second hand get to 5.3 (use your imagination for the .3), then you take ONE SECOND and a Half longer to get to 60. Huh? Big freaking deal. Now if it was a 9.9 second car 0-60, then you really feel the 4.4 second difference. But the difference is 1.5 seconds.

Now for the 1/4 mile... watch the second hand all the way to 14 seconds... seem to take forever, now the GT has gone 1/4 mile, now 1.5 seconds later, which takes no time, the V6 has gone 1/4 mile. I KNOW IF I AM AT A DRAG race track the GT was 130 ft ahead of me.... but... I DON'T DRAG RACE.

After saying all this, if a magic fairy could come down and change my V6 into GT, I'd let her do it. But there is no Magic Fairy, and many folks here who say "I got a GT for the same payment as my V6" are totally missing the point. A car is not a payment. It is a total cost. If you had three years left on your 5 year V6 loan, and you just reupped for a 6 year loan at the same payment, you have spent MANY THOUSANDS more money for the GT.

Again, this is no knock on people upgrading to a GT. Go for it. In my book....

1. The V6 is plenty fast. Far faster than over 85% of the cars on the road
2. I don't street race and I don't go to the track
3. My total cost of ownership will be many thousands less (probably $10,000 over the life of the car). Put that extra $10,000 down on your Mortgage and you'll save $20,000 over the life of your loan. Anybody know how to do time value of money calcs?
4. My V6'er will turn just as many heads as any V8
5. If I chose to, I can spend 1/2 the $10,000 I saved, put in a supercharger, and BEAT the GT in a race. I doubt I will, because the speed is not an issue for me.

Having said all that, damn, I'd like to have a GT. Just because. But if I use logic, common sense, and sound financial thought, it does not make sense for me.

Very well said. I love my car for what it is. I dont race, I dont take it to the strip, the car is plenty quick for me. The car is great for what it is, an affordable sporty car. And the girls love it!
Old 08-28-2006, 03:13 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy78045

Other than power the V6 wins... lower insurance, cheaper to buy, looks the same more or less... In my book, the V6 is the better stang...

pp v6 out handles the v8 too modified mustangs said it not me!

Quick Reply: shame