Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are alarms pointless?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:08 AM
Seant
1st Gear Member

Default Are alarms pointless?

Im thinking about getting the viper alarm installed. Not the one with automatic starter since it voids your warranty, but would it be pointless to get one. I kno if some1 wanted to steal your car they can but do u think it would sort of be a deterent to steal it? I also like the viper alarm cause it talks lol. Says Viper activated and if you get close to it or touch it it says stand back this car is protected by viper well thats what my boys car says hopefully the one i wanna get from best buy does the same i loved that
Old 08-31-2006, 02:10 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Are alarms pointless?

The problem is if someone trys to break in most peopel ignore the alram systems these days so they wont be like OMG THAT GUY IS JACKING THAT CAR KILL HIM. Its more worth it to put in a gps locator =)
Old 08-31-2006, 04:16 AM
ucdgreek
1st Gear Member

yeah id recommend getting lojack or that other company ford recommends cuz it has active anti theft and if ur car is moved in the middle of the night or whatever they call u and make sure ur the one in it. also i think its like a one time fee
Old 08-31-2006, 04:27 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

do you pay attention to an alarm going off? I diddn't think so
Old 08-31-2006, 04:44 AM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

Seriously, when is the last time you heard an alarm going off and thought to yourself "Hmm...There must be a car being stolen, better investigate!".
Old 08-31-2006, 04:45 AM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

And I think its funny when people have those alarms, and I roll by with my Aeroturbine Exhaust and hear "BEEP BEEP BEEP", I go in parking structures and laugh when I drop it in nuetral and rev it, literally 15 or more alarms go off, Classic.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 AM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Worst thing about alarms...a few years back while working at a maximum security federal pen., I had my car parked out in the lot. Now the employee and visitor lots were outside the fenced yard, but in plain view of the towers and guards. While at work, my pager goes off, letting me know that someone is messing with my car. So I call the towers and the front guards to ask them if they can see anything, and get told that they can't even see my car because there is a tractor-trailer rig out in the lot, but they can hear the alarm going off. I asked them to send someone out, because it was going to take me about 20 minutes from my desk to get thru security to get out there. By the time I get out there, and the local Bubba's see me and walk out with me, the tractor-trailer rig is gone....so is my car. In it's place, is a forklift, stolen off the docks that morning, along with the tractor rig. They had time to unload the lift, pick my car up, put it into a refrigerated trailer, and take off. Because of the angle, the guards in the tower could not see that side of the trailer, or didn't care, or were doing their jobs. But it took less than 20 minutes to do, and was in broad daylight, in front of a maximum security federal pen. Now insurance did cover the car, but not the emotional loss, nor relieve the anger, frustration, and yes...the tears.

The car...was a '68 Shelby GT500KR convert.

But, I do have the factory alarm on my new pony. I also have one in each of the other vehicles. If for nothing else, the false sense of security, and hopes that someone might take notice and see something...and I like the fact that they each have the auto door and trunk opener, and PANIC alarm for the wife when she goes out shopping alone. Plus...they make for an easy way to locate your car in the parking lot
Old 08-31-2006, 10:24 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Well i thought about getting an alarm system as well. I don't need one as much because mine is always in the garage but i looked at this one system from Audiovox. You can call a number and have your alarm activated or if you look your keys in your car then you can have it unlocked and stuff like that. Seemed kind of cool to me.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:43 PM
McChicken
2nd Gear Member

Holy sh*** slowryde that is a crazy story.

As far as car alarms go, they say auto theft is a "crime of opportunity," meaning, if you car is in the right (wrong?) place at the right time, that's when it will get broken in to. I figure every little thing you do to make your car less appealing to a car thief is worth doing. For instance, if your car is obviously alarmed but the guy right next to you isn't, then why bother getting spotted in the car with the viper alarm when you can just as easily hop in the next car and take as long as you need without being spotted. Or taking the faceplate off your stereo. 95% of people just put it in their glovebox, but why risk breaking into a car for nothing when the next car has theirs right in the dash.

Just don't be one of those people that set their car to ultra sensitive mode so it yells at every squirrel that runs by. [:@]
Old 08-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

if a theif wants your car...it is gone daddy gone

Quick Reply: Are alarms pointless?