Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is the V6 for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:27 PM
steviewire

Default RE: Is the V6 for me?

GT . I am from England and just took picked up my 2006 GT (Premium, IUP, 18inch fanblades, Antitheft, side airbags). I paid around $28k with my agents cost from Florida in April, it has took 5 months to arrive in the UK though.

I have had experience of a V6 on a 2000 mile round trip from Chicago to Toronto 18 months ago and although that that was the base model with auto box, the GT has it for me.

Now bearing in mind that the UK roads are congested compared to the US and the cost of gas is more expensive, if you can afford it go the GT. I would imagine that there must be some good deals left on the 06 maybe down to $25k on a premium)

I suppose it depends on your circumstances age, insurance etc. My GT will not be my daily driver so I am in a position to use it for pleasure whilst using a more economical MPV for commuting.

The V6 made me smile and turned a lot of heads over in US and Canada 18 months ago but the GT will put a big grin on your face.

As usual the choice will be down to your own preference, go with what you think suites you best.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

This guy said it all in my mind.

"I love it and after driving the V6 all my V8 regerts were gone! This is truly an amazing car. The V6 you'll have better gas mileage, lower insurance and an after market system that is never ending. For about $1K you can make the V6 even better and a totally different car. If you can afford the V8 and it is in your mind, then you have made your choice already don't wonder if regret wil come later"

(Post above mine)

Tom
Old 09-05-2006, 11:21 PM
GT05

GT. You're right, the gas mileage on the V6 is not much better than the V8. 20mpg on the GT and about 22 on the V6. Even though this generation V6 is the most powerful yet, I still think they could have done better. As far as handling is concerned, if you can handle the extra power, it will handle the curves. If you are patient and determined to buy a GT, wait for a dealer to get one in that was special ordered, then hope that the person who orderd it falls short. That is the best way to get a new GT for the price of the new V6. Like I said before, the GT CAN handle the curves and when you want to have a lil more fun, just hit that fancy "TCS OFF" button.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 AM
XtacY
1st Gear Member

For 25k you can get a slightly used Roush. Check ebay, there was two of them going for this price last I saw.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:06 AM
JudgeThis
2nd Gear Member

by any chance have you considered a Pontiac GTO, for the same price, it's a heck of alot more car. It just doesn't have the look.

I have a GTO and a Mustang. The GTO beats the tar out of the mustang in every single way. However, the mustang has the look. The attention getting look at me look. The GTO can have the same, but not bone stock. It's quite stealthy in that regard.

what have you considered in it's class??

the v6 and GT mustang are both nice, but if you can afford it, get the GT, the price difference after financing is hardly anything. we had to settle on a v6 due to being upside down in our 2006 mariner.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:29 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Thank you to ALL for the great advice!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yea, I am still undecided..My heart tells me GT (for the longetivity, and aftermarket, NOT for power) but my wallet is crying V6 haha!

Xstacy...Rousch's going for around 25k?
Hmm interesting!

They have the motherload of those things at a dealer near me but they are stickering for 35k+ !!

JudgeThis...The GTO IMHO is way overpriced...I saw a few at one of the dealers near me and they were up in the 30k+ range.
Also, I heard they are abandoning that car so I would rather not be stuck with an orphan.
To be honest, it kinda looks like everything else out there..
Specs look great, but just not my cup of tea.