Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

You guys and your GT's

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:51 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: You guys and your GT's

refinance your car get forced induction and tell the gts your insurance is less when you fly by.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:16 AM
pastor_ice43
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers

I don't want to open up this can of worms all over again, but the V6 is the smart choice. It's the car that a smart person would buy. It's cheaper, more efficient, and cost less to insure. And it's still fast, looks mean as h@ll, and sounds fantastic (w/ aftermarket exhaust).

With all the money you save, you still have money left over to treat your girl to a nice dinner (and that gets you the farthest, if you know what I'm sayin')

Ken
So if someone decides they want a GT instead because they CAN afford it, and because they want the extra power, they're not smart? Personaly, the first thing I look at when car shopping is how fast the car is.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:37 AM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

I do not think he was saying someone was not smart for getting a GT. Hey, if one can afford it then ROCK ON. I think Kenny ol boy was just stating that a V6, while slower, still does have its advantages. A smart person would buy both a V6 or a GT. As long as they are mustang owners, they're both smart in my book!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

have you actully called the insurance for a quote? i know mine wouldnt have been that much more for a GT but mines an 02
Old 09-11-2006, 09:43 AM
BlackoutStang
1st Gear Member

I'm a 16 year old male and mine only went up $30, which was no big deal considering how much I'm paying already... but luckily my parents cover my insurance since it's my dad's fault it's so high for the family (DUI)... But if mine only went up $30, I'd assume it would be reasonable for someone with normal insurance.

Call for quotes, it might not be as bad as you think.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:29 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I went to the dealership last week to see what they could do for me. The salesman was new and nervous as hell... I swear, it was like I was selling the car to HIM! I was telling him everything about the car. He didn't know if the GT I was looking at had a shaker system, just by looking at the CD faceplate you can tell.. if there's no "shaker" on it, then it's single cd's...

So the second I start talking to the guy, I tell him my deal. I'm 19, I'm in college, I don't have the money to be buying a GT and I don't plan on walking out of here with one... but let's crunch some numbers. So we hypothetically sell my mustang to them for $14K, and do some hypothetical haggling. Due to the negative equity, they'd want $6500 down, so I didn't qualify for their 0 down 0% APR 72 mos deal. I told them that's what I thought, thank you very much, I'm good to go... but nooooooooooooo.. the new guy's manager had to come out to try to make a sale. No way in hell will I sell my stang for $14K! All I wanted was the paper that they were doing all the math on. In a last ditch effort he offered me $1000 down, and something like $550 a month for 72 months... right. I declined. When all was said and done, I asked for the paper they were calculating on and the jerk off manager said "No, you can't have this, we'll be filing it away." Riiiiiiiiiiight, he's just mad because I wasted 30 minutes of their time with my hypothetical bargaining.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: teacherman

I do not think he was saying someone was not smart for getting a GT. Hey, if one can afford it then ROCK ON. I think Kenny ol boy was just stating that a V6, while slower, still does have its advantages. A smart person would buy both a V6 or a GT. As long as they are mustang owners, they're both smart in my book!
Thanks Teacherman, you are correct in what I was trying to say. A part of me is very jealous whenever I see a V8, but I didn't mean to suggest they weren't smart. Really, they're both smart buys, compared to some of the junk that's for sale out there.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

Look at it this way, the base price on a V6 Deluxe Coupe is $19,995.00, the base price on a GT Deluxe Coupe is $25,995.00. This gives you a budget of $6000.00 with which you can modify your V6. I would think you could easily exceed the performance of a stock or even slightly modified GT for 6K. And you will still be paying those V6 insurance rates.

According to the guys doing the Six Appeal article in Mustang Enthusiast they have added JBA headers and true duals and a Vortech supercharger and will be doing suspension mods next issue, all for less then the GT cost difference. There is also the pride of accomplishment, knowing you built your hot rod instead of buying it. If you do get that GT in the future, you will have gained valuable knowledge and experience that you can directly apply to modding the GT.

Just a thought... [sm=smiley2.gif]
Old 09-11-2006, 07:46 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pyrat

Look at it this way, the base price on a V6 Deluxe Coupe is $19,995.00, the base price on a GT Deluxe Coupe is $25,995.00. This gives you a budget of $6000.00 with which you can modify your V6. I would think you could easily exceed the performance of a stock or even slightly modified GT for 6K. And you will still be paying those V6 insurance rates.

According to the guys doing the Six Appeal article in Mustang Enthusiast they have added JBA headers and true duals and a Vortech supercharger and will be doing suspension mods next issue, all for less then the GT cost difference. There is also the pride of accomplishment, knowing you built your hot rod instead of buying it. If you do get that GT in the future, you will have gained valuable knowledge and experience that you can directly apply to modding the GT.

Just a thought... [sm=smiley2.gif]

Good attitude there Pyrat!

I'm in the same boat, looking at a new fairly well loaded V6 or a slightly used GT.
I admit I feel a little envy when I see a nice GT and I don't even own a stang yet

Still, I hate having plugged up holes on the dash etc where the options should have gone and I like the IU package.
I also need an auto for the wife to be able to drive it

Insurance is almost the same for me for both cars but surprisingly the 2004 model (I was considering that but not anymore) was actually more than the 2006 when I checked last.

I've driven both the GT and V6 and while there is a difference in power, it's not THAT much of a difference in NORMAL everyday driving.
The SOUND of the GT however is real sweet........

Another thing is the V6's are discounted a lot from sticker and the GTs at least where I live are not.
Of course if you plan to sell, the GT holds it's value a lot better as well.

I'm probably going to end up with a new 07 V6 equipped the way I like it.
I'm going for the Xcal/CAI and most likely either a Ford Racing or Flowmaster muffler and I have a good feeling
that should be more than enough for me.

Still, the bottom line is I could afford a new GT but you know something?
Spending $30k out the door has a psychological effect on me for some reason.
I'm sure I'd be cured after a week of driving the GT though

So, as you can see I'm still.....undecided.steve!!!!

Haha! But I am learning a heck of a lot reading this and other boards and if you guys have any questions about various cars (maybe for a fmily member or something) just fire away because I travel a LOT on business and get to rent all kinds.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

The financial impact of a car purchase is a biggie. If every time you look at the car all you can think of is how big a chunk of you budget the payment, insurance and upkeep are it takes a lot of the enjoyment out of ownership. I'm really happy with my V6, she may not be as fast as a GT (yet [sm=lildevil.gif] ) but she does everything I really need her to and with style and grace. I also get a warm fuzzy every time I look at her, and will for a long time to come.

And if by chance I win the lottery, there's always the Shelby CS6 package... [sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: You guys and your GT's