Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

is a muffler ricey??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Dior85
1st Gear Member

Default is a muffler ricey??

i herd getting a muffler may or may not help gas mileage. i was considering getting one if it does help but is it to ricer??
Old 09-14-2006, 05:28 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: is a muffler ricey??

ORIGINAL: Dior85

i herd getting a muffler may or may not help gas mileage. i was considering getting one if it does help but is it to ricer??
Putting a good aftermarket muffler is a great mod for our V6's... Free up about 10RWHP... a bit more if you go with the MRT... now of course when I say "good" I mean NOT A FART CAN! LOL! As far as gas mileage in theory it should improve... but the fact is the new exhaust sounds tends to make your right foot heavier... which does decrease your milage! LOL!
Old 09-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Dior85
1st Gear Member

any suggestions on a good aftermarket muffler??
Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

None of the s197 v6 specific mufflers are ricey at all IMO....it's when you get to the universal style ones you'll find rice.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:04 PM
steve_stang
1st Gear Member

I love my Flowmaster American Thunder.

Sounds great and looks awesome. It is a black muffler with a chrome tip so it blends in nicely under the car.

I have heard good things about Flowmaster, MRT, Mangaflow, Borla, JBA, GT takeoffs and others I cant think of.

And no, it is not ricey if you get a good one, it will actually make your car more mean sounding, might even trick people into thinking you have a V-8

Cheers,
Old 09-14-2006, 07:07 PM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

Mufflers will help a little bit with gas mileage and power. Don't expect amazing results, but it does help. On my 04 Crossfire I noticed about a 1.5mpg increase on highway with just a muffler, but on the street it dropped a lot because the right foot definately gained some weight.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:24 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

not ricey at all, i get compliments all the time and i did feel a little power from my mrt. The gas milage depends on the driver. I stayed the exact same on milage, but before i got the muffler i was still getting used to driving a stick. I drive alot harder now because of the sound (especially past the all girls school on my way home ).
Old 09-14-2006, 07:35 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

not ricey at all, i get compliments all the time and i did feel a little power from my mrt. The gas milage depends on the driver. I stayed the exact same on milage, but before i got the muffler i was still getting used to driving a stick. I drive alot harder now because of the sound (especially past the all girls school on my way home ).
Yep... the extra performance I felt when we put in the MRT made me think my butt dyno was seriously out of calibration! But we but the Mistress on Lidio's dyno and confirmed that gain! LOL!

BTW... stopped to pick up my step-daughters proofs from the photo studio... noticed the photographer was outside... went in side to pick up the proof.. he comes in and says "That car is absolutely beautiful! And the sound! I heard you pulling in... that sound was incredible! It didn't sound like a car... it was awesome!" Not quite sure what he meant by it not sounding like a car... but he was sooooo geeked about it I just let him go on! LOL!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:45 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

gotta love the mrt. I was in birmingham (where most of the teenagers in my area hang out on weekends) parking my car in the parking structure to go to a movie and my friend says, "dude" and points out the window and these three girls are staring at us from about 50 feet away and when we get out one of em says, "nice car." So we walk over to talk to em and it was a girl i had known in elementary school! Well she had quite obviously "grown up" ALOT and we talked for a while and then we decided we were all going to hang out the next day (saturday). So my friend and i go over to one of her friends' house and we hung out the whole night watching movies and doing other **** and then she asked me if i could take her for a ride in my car...yea i took her for a ride...

i LOVE my car. The muffler just makes it more noticable and beleive me, thats a good thing.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:52 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

BTW... stopped to pick up my step-daughters proofs from the photo studio... noticed the photographer was outside... went in side to pick up the proof.. he comes in and says "That car is absolutely beautiful! And the sound! I heard you pulling in... that sound was incredible! It didn't sound like a car... it was awesome!" Not quite sure what he meant by it not sounding like a car... but he was sooooo geeked about it I just let him go on! LOL!
Hey!!
Been following your mods for a while, including MM article!

One question about the MRT, how is it cruising as far as interior noise and more importantly (to me anyway) drone is concerned?

I once made the big mistake of removing the resonator on my Caprice Chevy small block ( in the rear) and the drone was horrid so I was cured of that little trick[:@]

So how is the MRT for just plain around town and crusing?

FWIW I am less undecided and I think the V6 2007 Pony/IUP is in my future.
No 2006 left around here except in sliver and I don't like that color (no offense to anyone because I DO like green[8D] )

I'm looking at maybe the Ford Racing/MRT/Flowmaster, keeping it single exhaust, an Xcal and CAI and that's about it for me.
I also need an automatic for my better half to be able to drive it.

Advice?

Quick Reply: is a muffler ricey??