Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

vibration at 65 to 72 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 05:27 AM
twinturbomustang
1st Gear Member

Default vibration at 65 to 72 mph?

im driving and it sounds to hi pitched for tire could it be drive shaft? its just a vibration its really loud tho i cna drive through it tho after 72 it smooths out anyone eltce have this?
Old 09-16-2006, 06:28 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: vibration at 65 to 72 mph?

You probably got warranty, take it in and have the dealership look at it. More then likely whatever it is would be covered.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:44 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

You probably got warranty, take it in and have the dealership look at it. More then likely whatever it is would be covered.
not if "twinturbomustang" actually has a twin turbo mustang.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:50 PM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

My 2005 V6 got the same problem. The first dealer said it was noise from wind. I took it to the second dealer. The called Ford tech support and then replaced the driveshaft. It is 80 % better. It still has little vibration between 60 and 70 mph. I think the little vibration is due to exhaust resonance; So, I live with the little vibration.
ORIGINAL: twinturbomustang

im driving and it sounds to hi pitched for tire could it be drive shaft? its just a vibration its really loud tho i cna drive through it tho after 72 it smooths out anyone eltce have this?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:09 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tientran

My 2005 V6 got the same problem. The first dealer said it was noise from wind. I took it to the second dealer. The called Ford tech support and then replaced the driveshaft. It is 80 % better. It still has little vibration between 60 and 70 mph. I think the little vibration is due to exhaust resonance; So, I live with the little vibration.
Just a thought,,, if it's exhaust doing it you should be able to rev the engine to the RPM that is the same as the point where you get the vibration and you would feel it, even sitting in park.

FWIW having dealt with vibration in cars over the years, it can be very tricky to track down.
Generally you can feel driveshaft vibration by putting your hand on the transmission hump when you are driving.
(that sounds kinky!!)

If that's the case, worn U-joints are a good guess but since you have a new driveshaft that's out.

Front tire vibration is usually felt in the steering wheel
Rear tire vibration in your butt or the seatback.

I would guess a poorly balanced tire or more remotely a dragging caliper /possible warped rotor.
Try driving up to the offending speed and very lightly stepping on the brakes.
Do you feel any vibration either in the steering wheel?

You might want to try getting the tires high speed balanced.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:36 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

just get your tires ballanced with road force.. i bet even when the tires are ballanced.. your tires alone are fubar
Old 09-16-2006, 08:35 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

Just a thought,,, if it's exhaust doing it you should be able to rev the engine to the RPM that is the same as the point where you get the vibration and you would feel it, even sitting in park.

FWIW having dealt with vibration in cars over the years, it can be very tricky to track down.
Generally you can feel driveshaft vibration by putting your hand on the transmission hump when you are driving.
(that sounds kinky!!)

If that's the case, worn U-joints are a good guess but since you have a new driveshaft that's out.

I would guess a poorly balanced tire or more remotely a dragging caliper /possible warped rotor.

nah, the engine runs completely differently when it is under load. Rev your engine and hold it at 2500 rpm's in neutral. Then do the same thing in 5th gear moving and it sounds TOTALLY different. The engine will run alot smoother when you rev it because there is almost no resistance.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:48 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

(that sounds kinky!!)

nah, the engine runs completely differently when it is under load. Rev your engine and hold it at 2500 rpm's in neutral. Then do the same thing in 5th gear moving and it sounds TOTALLY different. The engine will run alot smoother when you rev it because there is almost no resistance.

True...
I know what your saying about a loaded engine sounding different than an unloaded one
and I agree.
Different resonance etc.
Fer sure!

Personally, I think he has an out of balance tire or two.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:14 PM
twinturbomustang
1st Gear Member

its not in the steeringwheel or seat its in the whole car but after 72mph u just drive rightthrough it
Old 09-16-2006, 11:20 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Even if hes got a turbo if the problem has nothing to do with the turbo its under warranty

Quick Reply: vibration at 65 to 72 mph?