Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil?

Alright fellows today is the first time I will be getting my oil changed so a few ? is Royal purple worth the money? Also if not what kinda of oil should a use which brand, synthetic or regular my car only has 6,000 miles on it and one more question I have heard it is good to put one quart of lucas oil treatment in is this good for the car?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:48 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil?

YOU WAITED 6000 MILES TO GET YOUR FIRST OIL CHANGE [sm=jawdrop.gif]
Old 09-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

No when I bought my Mustang is was a 06 DEMO car so it already had 3000 miles on it. The day I bought it they changed the oil right then for me.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:06 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dats1NiceMustang

Alright fellows today is the first time I will be getting my oil changed so a few ? is Royal purple worth the money? Also if not what kinda of oil should a use which brand, synthetic or regular my car only has 6,000 miles on it and one more question I have heard it is good to put one quart of lucas oil treatment in is this good for the car?
I use Royal Purple 10-30 with a Mobil 1 filter... forget the lucas oil treatment...
Old 09-16-2006, 02:14 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

I'm running royal purple and love it but is it worth the money??? I'm planning on trying mobil 1 next time due to the cost of it compared to RP. You can find 5 qts of Mobil 1 for $25 as opposed to RP at $7 per qt. Go with a better filter K&N or Mobil 1 for sure and good luck.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

There is a show on Spike TV about modifying trucks. They ran a test on Royal Purple where they first dyno'd a 4WD pickup with its recommended lubricants. They then replaced all lubricants with RP and re-dyno'd the truck. The results showed a 10 RWHP gain. Keep in mind that this was replacing everything, both differentials, transfer case, transmission, and engine. In the case of our vehicles we only have one differential, transmission and engine to get a gain out of so you can expect gains to be somewhat less, especially if you only change the engine oil, but the bottom line is, yes it does seem to make a difference in reducing HP robbing friction.

- You will want to make sure you are not impacting your warranty by using non-Ford specified lubricants. -

Edit: WRT oil change intervals, when I talked to the service people at my dealership about frequency of oil changes, they told me 3000 was a better idea than Fords recommended interval.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Wow, I've never heard of Royal Purple. Sounds good. I thought Mobil 1 was the best. How about Castrol synthetic? I read somewhere to use the thinnest oil possible and change the oil every 3000 miles or less. The thicker the oil, the harder it is for your engine to pump everything resulting in less horsepower and less fuel economy. You folks think this is true?
Old 09-16-2006, 06:04 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangmaster

Wow, I've never heard of Royal Purple. Sounds good. I thought Mobil 1 was the best. How about Castrol synthetic? I read somewhere to use the thinnest oil possible and change the oil every 3000 miles or less. The thicker the oil, the harder it is for your engine to pump everything resulting in less horsepower and less fuel economy. You folks think this is true?
Use the recommended weight of oil for the location/climate you live in... normally 10-30 is fine...
Old 09-17-2006, 10:12 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I ride motorcycles and we have the oil debate constantly. From my perspective, once you settle on a synthetic, stay with that brand and don't jump all over the market place; use the same product.

Unless you race or live in an area where the environment demands a special oil (dust, high heat, extreme cold), most any of the synthetics will work well. STick with the weight that FORD recommends (my ESCAPE calls for 5W-20)

Many of the guys on the motorcycle forum have used ROYAL PURPLE with success, but some of us have used other synthetics for years with no failures.

No wrong answer here. Don't mix additives with your synthetic (ie LUCAS), not needed and maybe not compatible with your respective oil.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

What about oil filters? When I make the big switch to Mobil 1 next month, should I continue using the Ford oil filter, or is there something that's obviously better.

Ken

Quick Reply: Oil?