Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sound system

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:25 PM
opticalveracity
2nd Gear Member

Default Sound system

Hey guys, i know nothin about sound systems...i wanted to get some quality sound for under 500 including like everything i need...i want the shaker 500 or 1000, but is it better to get aftermarket? I found this and thought about this...will it work for my car..it comes with everything, looks nice, sounds nice etc....any one know anything, tips ,etc id appreacite it!

http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-hvZazZRZ...0&I=700SONPKG1

is this everything i need? does it come with everything i need...i guess ill use the stock face, ..i got the stock base ford stero...let me know guys, i want some quality sound, good acoustics, bass, treble, i wanna crank my music at times and the stock base ford stereo is not nearly cutting it..thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 11:16 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sound system

I thought my Shaker 1000 was pretty good... until I put in a Pioneer head unit! OH MY!! It is sooooo much better than the Shaker!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:19 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Its a decent system but that line of the sony products isnt too high quality...I would suggest something from Alpine, Pioneer or Rockford Fosgate. Also you would have to buy the amp wiring kit, speaker wire, hi-low converter for the stock stereo. It says on the right of that page what you need to get. They said i needed a hi-low converter since i reused the head unit so i got one. For my car i got a 760W Pioneer Amp and Dual 12" 600W Pioneer subs and it hits real nice.

One of my buddies got this package for his coupe and he said that its nice. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-j6Sf4yX...0&I=700ALPPKG6

In case your not aware, the subs sound pretty horrible from mustang trunks. The trunk rattles alot. It sounds great inside though.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Dean53
1st Gear Member

the good thing is that because you have the base ford stereo, it is really pretty easy to customize. THe aftermarket i gonna be way better than any shaker system. Although the shaker is better than total stock, the aftermarket is still way better. I would suggest starting with a good head unit, and some 5x7 speaker replacements for front and rear. I am partial to alpine, but pioneer makes a nice head unit also. most will do mp3 and cd, and many have ipod capability and stuff also. Lots of options. For speakers, alpine and infinity are both real nice. THese will make a big difference in your system. If you wanna take it to another level, get yourself a nice sub for the trunk, and an amp to drive it. The aftermarket for car stereo is huge so the options are endless. But with a $500 budget for now I would plan on about $200 to $300 on a nice head unit, and $100 for a pair of speakers (front and rear = $200), and about $50 on install parts and stuff. That would be a great first step to a good clear stereo. The amp and subs step will be a little more expenive. If you want more specific info just ask. I dabble quite a bit, and a couple of my good friends are mecp certified mobile installers, so i can get an answer to just about any question you have. Good luck and happy listening!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:15 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

the shaker 500 i have is sick..i put in a rap cd today the whole car was vibrating i never knew the woofers could be that powerful...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-THUNDERFORM-...QQcmdZViewItem

doesnt kill your enitre trunk
Old 09-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

I'm not so good on helping when it comes to tight budgets and music. I usually go all out, I take my music seriously. Hell my power cable going from battery to amp was $100 itself. But if you really want higher quality sound, and harder hitting bass, I can give a few tips.

The best bang for your buck.

1: New Head Unit. Shaker sucks. Period. It suits some people, sure. But I don't listen to Mozart so it wasn't for me. A new HU will put out more watts per channel. On average stock HU puts out about 7w/ch, average aftermarket will put out 20w/ch. Plus they look better.
2: Stay Away from Sony. Price is cheap. For a reason. Items are cheap and will eventually break on you. I've seen more blown sony speakers/subs than I have seen gay people in San Fransisco. Oh that's offensive. Hey they pride on it, only wearing my Captain Obvious cape.
3: Pawn Shops. They are your friend. There is a new stolen system every other week. Minimum. So stop by and see if you can find some decent quality equipment at a bargain price. Just don't show it off to your friends if one of them had their car broken into last week. Could get awkward. Pack heat.

With some of that in mind, also hit up eBay. Can find good deals, some of which are legit even. Just keep an eye out to make sure they don't wanna stiff you with overcompensating shipping costs.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:31 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ha you think it pumps with a shaker.. lol put an aftermarket H/U and your stock speakers wont be able to keep up!!.. lol my speakers are crap loli cant turn my deck up too much without distorting my speakers.. lol next year speakers will be an investment for me..

ill do what scrming did.. go kicker ..

im not gonna lie.. kicker is my favorite audio company
Old 09-17-2006, 01:54 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

3: Pawn Shops. They are your friend. There is a new stolen system every other week. Minimum. So stop by and see if you can find some decent quality equipment at a bargain price. Just don't show it off to your friends if one of them had their car broken into last week. Could get awkward. Pack heat.

haha thats great^
Old 09-17-2006, 03:04 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

That side mount box for the subs would be nice....The subs i have now were originally in my '00 stang until i traded up and to what my surprise was, i had to buy a smaller box to fit into this trunk. Its kinda annoying because it takes up all the trunk space and it wont stay in place, when i open the trunk after driving its all the way to the opening of the trunk and to the right usually. Wish i knew somehow to get it to stay back but havent figured anything out yet.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

as far as subwoofers, you're going to want to run some kind of JL audio or Alpine subwoofer. Speakers, i'd say alpine, pioneer, or JL. and for amps, definetly JL, pioneer, or alpine. Don't get rockford fostgate nething if you're trying to do things right....better right than half assed.
-Mike

Quick Reply: Sound system