Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

car got towed and impounded

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 01:49 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: car got towed and impounded

i am a lawyer actually. and a secret agent. oh and a highly paid gigolo for horney super models. i hate work, can't wait to retire, jeese.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:07 AM
bennihill
2nd Gear Member

Winterhaven is like a town of 300-400 people and the only people around to enforce it have the main station in el centro which is an hour away. and my gf has filed reports on them before and nothing has happened. she knows of at least 20 other girls that have been harassed. i told them to all get together and file reports all at once and start complaining profusely but they are all too scared. cause if he gets away with it then he will harass them more and more and they don't want any more than it already is. i'm tryng to convince her though. only time will tell...

and what was said between us was nothing bad. when i talk to police officers i talk very politely because i don't like any kind of trouble with them because of the simple fact of the power they have. if they were brave enough to take off their badge they would see a very different side of me...

and i don't have the money for a lawyer. they don't have a captain here. because the town is so small all they have are deputy sherriffs (not sure how to spell that). all the captains and seargents and liuetenants and whatnot are in el centro and calexico. the station is considered a sub-post or a substation.

and he didn't even give the option to have someone come pick it up. even if he says because the car has no hood the guy who could come pick it up has nissan titan v8 and could've easily fit my hood in his bed.

and the military ID did nothing for him because he was never in the military. plus now that i'm out i have red hair and multiple piercings and the first thing he asked when he saw my ID was "were you put out on a section 8?" ( i guess he watched full metal jacket too many times). i told him no otherwise i would not have combat veteran military plates. i don't have arizona plates, just the license. the plates i have are for people who went to combat and got injured. i know only a few states has em. but thats off subject. i am not a california resident. period. plus he told me records would be open in el centro today. so i drove over an hour away to el centro to get the release papers i found out they were closed. when i came back here and tried to talk to them, they ran away from me like three times. so i know they lied to me.

surely their has to be a cali cop out there on mustang forums who knows exactly what to do!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:29 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

There are lawyers in here, and a few police officers that post here as well. I would try creating a post in the general sections and linking back to here to increase your chances of them seeing it.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:07 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I'm a retired officer from suburban Maryland/DC and I guess I missed most of what occurred here. Harrassing? Suing him? Getting him fired for???? I'm glad I'm not on the street anymore, it sounds like people just want to do whatever they please anymore. I work at a golf course a few days a week and the young guys don't like to be told what to do or not to do. I guess that applies here. Somehow, the idea is out there that we can do anything to our vehicles that we please (you can't) and that the police are so bored that they have nothing better to do then stop everyone (not true). I wasn't involved with this situation and we have no information from the officer to debate the points made. So, I'm done.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:15 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I reread the posts for a third time. Yes, if he persists and spends time following your GF or other women, he should be held accountable for that behavior. And yes, I'm not naive enough to think that behavior such as that doesn't occur. He will have a supervisor somewhere in the department, or contact the head of whatever government is in charge there (mayor, county supervisor), if you feel the need to complain about his behavior. Having said that, are you sure that he went by her house because of HER; or was he familiarizing himself with where you go to make sure you correct the hood problem? Once again, one side of any story is never enough.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
martimus

Dude... I don't post on this forum much but happened to run across this thread. I lived in Yuma for nearly 5 years so I know where you're coming from. Keep in mind that Winterhaven is, for the most part, sovereign as it sits on an Indian reservation. The cops in that little town all have BIG ego and chips on their shoulders. I suspect your best course of action will be to get your car out of impound and fight the ticket in front of a judge. Assuming that the court of record is in Calexico I'll bet if you contact the court and explain that you're not a California resident they'll likely toss out the charges of not having a california license or plate.

In terms of the hood missing, he probably hit you with a vague California law like 24002:

24002. (a) It is unlawful to operate any vehicle or combination of vehicles which is in an unsafe condition, or which is not safely loaded, and which presents an immediate safety hazard.

(b) It is unlawful to operate any vehicle or combination of vehicles which is not equipped as provided in this code.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:09 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Get his name and badge off the ticket and take the corrective action. He didn't do you right but you can't make him even more right by acting like a meathead when you complain. Go into the station and talk to the desk sarg and wonder why all this happened to you. Oh and yes it is illegal to drive without a hood in Cali. Hey benni you catch more bees with honey than vinager... GOOD LUCK!

ORIGINAL: bennihill

well, i am in the process of fabricating a custom hood for the stang and i'm driving around with no hood on, right? i live in yuma, AZ but my gf lives in winterhaven, CA. so as i was crossing the border i got pulled over. he said it was illegal in cali to drive without a hood on. i don't know if it's true or not but i told him i am not a california resident but he said he doesn't care. he gave me a ticket for not having a california license, california plates, and for my hood being off. then he towed and impounded it. when i told him i don't need CA plates or a license being that i don't live here, he said he sees me come here everyday or every other day so as far as he's concerned i live here. now i have to go to calexico (which is an hour away) and get a release form and then come all the way back here to get my car out of impound tomorrow.

plus he followed me to my gf's house so he could find out where she lives and now he wants to harass her. is there anybody that knows if this wrong and what i can do about it.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:13 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

go to court and argue the cali plates ticket, there is no way you wont win. Don't do anything about harassment until you get proof.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 PM
bennihill
2nd Gear Member

this is in response to djl0657. i don't think i can do whatever i like. i was just not aware of it being illegal in this state or any being it really isn't a safety hazard in my eyes (it's not like my engine will just fly out). god forbid the one in a million chance that happens. plus i have seen numerous other people do it and not get pulled over.

and if you don't think the police out here have nothing to do you might want to ask someone who lived/lives here (like martimus). when you go over the bridge into california you come a little "T" intersection where they like to sit for hours on end because they have nothing to do. when he saw me go by he looked at my girlfriend who was in the passenger seat. then he waited for me to go by followed me and then pulled me over on purpose right before we hit indian reservation land.

and fyi he has pulled her over numerous times asking for her phone number and where she lives. one time he even followed us to a club in yuma and watched me and my girlfriend dance. then when i started to go home i got pulled over by his buddy (who was no where near us) in winterhaven and he asked "did you do any drinking at ron's?". how would he know we were there? maybe somebody called and told him. he asked if i had been drinking and i told him no because i was the designated driver. it "took" over 45 minutes for him to make sure my all paperwork and registration was in order. so no i don't think he followed my girlfriend and I to know where i lived so he could make sure i fixed my hood problem. because even if i decided not to he has no jurisdiction being it is indian reservation land and the quechan police department have to deal with it. you got questions, i got answers.

believe it or not, not all young people are tweakers or greasers who have no regard for anyone with a higher authority than them. i did my military bit and served faithfully so i know what and who i am. there is always more behind the story. i was just giving the basics so if anyone is interested i will tell in more detail if you like.

thanks martimus.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:51 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you might need to explore the one avenue that I mentioned, contacting a supervisor to bring the officer's actions to the department's attention. I worked on a very well educated and professional department and we didn't have time to zone in on one or two people like your experience indicates. I worked in a very busy, urban environment and didn't have a lot of downtime. If they have a bad officer, they need to deal with it. For the benefit of every honest, hard working officer everywhere; this type of behavior needs to be addressed.

Take care. I hope you understand my perspective on any of these types of incidents. Having done the job for twenty six years and recognizing how difficult it can be to do it correctly and professionally, I will usually show support for the officer unless there is information to the contrary.

Quick Reply: car got towed and impounded