MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   I'm Going V6 !!! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/184479-im-going-v6.html)

undecided.steve 09-24-2006 11:43 PM

I'm Going V6 !!!

So I guess I have to change my name to decided.steve !!

Alright so why a V6 and why a Mustang and why not a GT?
Good question and one I have been pondering for weeks!

It all starts at the beginning, a 2004 Mustang Vert Hertz special I rented for a couple of weeks.
It was a 3.8L, yellow and couldn't get out of it's own way.
But it was special, somehow.
Everywhere I went I got attention, people asking about the car and in reality OVERALL it was a fun
car to drive.

Jump to 2006 and I get a Hertz V6 vert rental again (be kind and have a gold membership is the key!)

I absolutley LOVED that car....
I'm 46 and that beast, at least to me, was fast, sounded and drove like a dream.....

It was the beginning of my mid life crisis......

My wife noticed how happy I was, and after we returned it (1000+ miles later) she said maybe we shoud live a little and
look at Mustangs.

With three kids in school/college, a few close friends dropping dead long before their time, reality was setting in.
(That's the personal part)

We figured maybe WE should start to live our dreams for a change......

So we started looking....
We started with Mustangs, looked at Dodge hemis, Chevy Cobalt/impala ss/Monte SS and so forth.

We even sank as low as a Mitsubishi Eclipse 2007 GT..... (Don't ask!!!!)
Great car until you read the reviews........
Virtually everyone hates it........

Me?

A 46yo ricer......????????????

NO WAY.......

I'm AMERICAN USA ALL THE WAY!!!!
A GM GUY, BUT FORD AND DMC ARE FINE AS WELL!!

So here I am back with the stang....
We watched Bullit the movie the other night, my grandma took me to see the original in the movies
way back when...
Great flick!

So to put an end to this saga, we are looking at a 2007 V6 auto in Grabber Orange or Vista blue.
So why not a 06?
No V6's anywhere to be found.

Plenty of GT's but not equipped the way I like.

I would rather have a loaded V6 than a stripped GT.

Would I like a GT?
Sure, if you will give me an automatic loaded for $21k out the door in NYC.....
Best I can do is about $26k out the door.
For less than 1k extra I can have a great V6 and have fun modding it......

I looked at used but I noticed one odd thing, many of the used GTs seemed to be from out of state and had more than one owner.

That worries me.

Coming from driving minivans etc the V6 Hertz special was nice and fast for me.

I intend on dropping in CAI/xcal and GT muffler and I suspect after that I will be in heaven.....
Mainly to get rid of the throttle lag and get a little more aggressive sound out of the car.

The Hertz I drove had the pony package and I felt it actually handled better than the GT I drove.
It just felt more nimble.
Hard to describe.

I'll post my pics when I get my baby!!!

BTW this is a wonderful forum.....

I got professional help in fixing my daughters Jetta from a member, and I really appreciate that.
Also, comparing this forum to the ricer stuff is a joke.
They are very immature and it has nothing to do with age.

I;ve been working on my own cars for 30+ years and I know the ropes.
The fartcan/superchip stuff is really getting old.....

omer333 09-24-2006 11:46 PM

RE: I'm Going V6 !!!

good for you!

jerseystang07 09-24-2006 11:52 PM

welcome to life with a mustang. if it were up to me i would go vista blue...i dont know why but its just a feeling:)!! good luck no matter what and ill see you in the forums!

JimC 09-24-2006 11:57 PM

Congratulations -- I have been very happy with my 2006 Pony edition convertible (my mid life crisis car my neighbors call it). I looked at a GT convertible which was exactly the same option wise, and couldn't justify the additional $5,000 for the 2 cylinders and the second or two faster to 60 time. I also thought the Pony handled great, and had more than adequate acceleration.

BigFloppy 09-24-2006 11:59 PM

You won't regret going the V6 route, especially because you got the stick...
my only regret... 20/20 is great...
I got the automatic AND 6 months after I got her... started working 100% from home so I don't have any commute anymore

I think I'm gonna lose my stripe now everyone's started copying it!

http://www.bigfloppydonkeyballs.com/mustang/Front1.JPG

undecided.steve 09-25-2006 12:00 AM

ORIGINAL: jerseystang07

welcome to life with a mustang. if it were up to me i would go vista blue...i dont know why but its just a feeling:)!! good luck no matter what and ill see you in the forums!
My wife loves your car!!!!

She's a blue person,.....everything in our house is, well it's blue!!!
We are looking at a Vista Blue Pony package 07 loaded with all kinds of stuff we don't need (Alarm for example) so
we are going to lowball on that one and see what happens!

The only reason we like grabber orange (really looks like schoolbus yellow to me) is because we don't see them anywahere.
That could be good or bad
:)

randy78045 09-25-2006 12:02 AM

I cant believe i read the whole thing..... :eek:

Congrats... :)

Mustangmaster 09-25-2006 12:05 AM

So what color do you want? Screaming yellow? What's your preference on interior? Cloth or leather? What color? If you get a Shaker 1000 audio it will take up half of your trunk space. Something to consider. A V6 will give you better gas mileage. I'm averaging 25 right now on mine. Insurance will be less costly. Just as good as a V8, only difference is the speed/power. Best looking car on the road in my opinion. Mustangs 05,06,07 done right after many years of screwing it up.

Robert

BigFloppy 09-25-2006 12:07 AM

AND believe it or not... the insurance on a convertible is LESS than the fastback!

EmperorOfChicken 09-25-2006 12:11 AM

read your original post awhile ago when you were still undecided, glad to see youve made a decision! (PICK THE GRABBER ORANGE!!!) :D