Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT TAKEOFFs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:27 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT TAKEOFFs

I did it a few weeks ago. Did just the single swap and have no real plans to go dual. Here's a link to "my experience" and impressions - If Of Interest.

Overall.... very worthwhile mod for the effort IMHO. I ran into a bit of difficulty getting my old muffler to dislodge from the pipe once I had all the hangers off and clamp loose, but most others I've read about in here didn't even have that difficulty. And I too did mine without jacking up the car one bit.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I am yet another non-jacker. There's plenty of room under there. The job doesn't require huge brains, but:

-Make sure you fit the mid-pipe into the muffler intake good and snug.

-If, after installation, your tailpipe touches your valance, your valance will get melted. Take whatever steps are necessary to reallign the muffler (muffler shop, if necessary).

-The best tool, in my opinion, is a 13mm combo-rachet wrench, because it can fit in narrow places, and the ratchet action is a tremendous advantage. There's not a lot of room for fingers and wrenches when removing/installing the forward hangar bolt (which is located directly above the muffler).

That's my 2 pennies.

Ken
Old 10-01-2006, 03:26 AM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

I must have gotten lucky because mine lined right up, nice and level and with plenty of clearance.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tacatc

I must have gotten lucky because mine lined right up, nice and level and with plenty of clearance.
Mine's good enough, but not "perfect" within the valance notch.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:00 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

I didnt really have any problems. The worst problem i had was getting the high bolts on the hangers because i couldnt get the socket up there to unbolt them. a regular wrench or a thin socket comes in handy in those times. And for clearance i was glad i didnt have to adjust because i hear some people had problems with even getting it to lower. I have about a 1/4" which is plenty of room between.

P.S. When you take off the stock muffler start her up and take her about the block, its loud as hell with no muffler not to mention funny as well to me.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:01 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

if it doesnt clear the bumper put a metal baseball bat into the muffler and bounce it up and down thats what i did with mine
Old 12-08-2006, 04:40 PM
mustangtakeoffs

I just recently bought some and they make it sound much better. If you need some, this is where i bought them at.
www.mustangtakeoffs.com
Old 12-08-2006, 06:01 PM
SNAFU
Tech Challenged Member

Way to dig up a 2 month old post there, mustangtakeoffs! [>:]
Old 12-09-2006, 12:07 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

My take off has been on for six or seven months. I went on the GT side and found a muffler that the guy would send me for shipping only. I'm in my fifties, been there done the tinkering with my car thing. I went to a local shop and had it installed for a reasonable price and love the results.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32800/FBA03BEEE62F4886AC23B106449821F1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-10-2006, 05:15 PM
BlackStang126

does putting a single gt takeoff on a v6 void the warranty?

Quick Reply: GT TAKEOFFs