Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Powerhouse Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:51 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Powerhouse Turbo

you might want to runa smaller turbo because its at the back.. the exhaust will lose its energy and heat on its way.. and basically what makesthe turbo spool is the heat not the exhaust itself.. contact STS and try to find out the size turbo they use
Old 10-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

My problem is finding a wastegate that will fit right? my friend knows more about this than I do I'm just lost when it comes to this stuff I know I will need some flanges and a waste gate correct
Old 10-03-2006, 12:26 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

be careful how you set up the intake. You want it away from any water and under the car that is hard. i am still kind of considering using the universal sts kit and custom fabbing the rest with a dyno tune. They have some real nice kits, you may want to look into that. everything you need except tuning, piping, and possibly some fuel upgrades. you get free piping right? you could make a very powerful turbo kit with the sts kit for under 4 grand if you want. good luck.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

Don't know about yall man but 4 grand is big dollars to me it would take me a year to save that much up, but to be able to build it your self for only 2 grand now that I could do also I understand the filter being under the car is a problem but hell it must be working cause sts uses there turbo's on off roading vehicles and they have no problem..........plus the vette sits a lot closer to the ground than my mustang and there using it also
Old 10-03-2006, 02:09 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

i would pm fazm if i were you he is really knowledgeable about turbos. Also i would pm some of these camaro guys because they usually use undermount turbos
Old 10-03-2006, 02:30 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

if i were you I would keep that turbo under the hood, its really not gonna be that difficult to mount under there, its just a lot of custom piping and brackets. Just takes time and patience but well worth the effort. If i were you I would get a good turbo talk to like greddy or hks and they can match you up with the proper wastegate and b.o.v.

I would reccomend mounting an intercooler, its almost dumb not to do it if you mount the turbo under the hood or under the back, still needs that cooling.

it seems more complex than it is, if you have someone that can do the tubing your so far ahead. just go for it putting under the hood. I have done 2 import turbos and i cant figure out why people would mount them in the back, its a waste of money$ and you lose a lot of effieceny.

just my .02
Old 10-03-2006, 03:08 AM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

i was considering the sts universal kit with custom fabbed piping, but everyone advised against it.
That's because no one has ever seen there turbo kits in person before and are using the powers of the internet to judge. They aren't the best turbo systems, but they are good setups!
Old 10-03-2006, 03:09 AM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

you might want to runa smaller turbo because its at the back.. the exhaust will lose its energy and heat on its way.. and basically what makesthe turbo spool is the heat not the exhaust itself.. contact STS and try to find out the size turbo they use
Definately need something smaller, it has more piping to go through.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, but I wouldn't see why the site would lie to you I talk to the guy from northern region and he said that their gt mustang recieved 53% more horses (I believe it was 53 I know it was in the 50 region) so if it works that good being rear mounted in the gt it should be the same in a v6 same setup.....He told also told me that some of there cars were getting 70% more horses........The sound is something I love about them, but if I don't build my own turbo I was looking into getting the route supercharger from eaton, but hell it isn't bringing much HP neither all that money for high 13's..........you could do some bolt ons and lose a bunch a weight and get close to that
Old 10-03-2006, 12:54 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S2K1

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

i was considering the sts universal kit with custom fabbed piping, but everyone advised against it.
That's because no one has ever seen there turbo kits in person before and are using the powers of the internet to judge. They aren't the best turbo systems, but they are good setups!

i am just very worried about reliability in bad weather. I won't be driving in deep snow, but i will be driving in light snow and rain, possibly heavy rain. the whole turbo being so close to the ground and the intake (even with the snorkle) being in a spot water can get to easily scares me. I also am worried about having a 600 turbo 8 inches off the ground where it can be easily hit by a stone shot out from under my tires and such. i care more about reliability than anything when going f/i. if the sts kit is for sure reliable i'd definately do it, i'm trying to work out something with an exhaust shop so i can put the turbo in a different spot than it is on the gt kit maybe so it is safer.

Quick Reply: Powerhouse Turbo