Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

stupid mistake(oil change warning)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:12 PM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

Default stupid mistake(oil change warning)

I remember reading a while back about a guy that changed his oil and when he went to turn his car on, all 5 quarts of oil sprayed all over the bottom of his car and everywhere else for that matter. I guess i didn't really take it to heart when I read it. Sunday, I decided to do the stangs first oil change. everything went smooth until i went to turn the car on. Same damn thing happened. all the oil exploded out the oil filter. After thinking about how the hell that could happen, I remembered the oil gasget story I read, and sure enough, after removing the oil filter I had just installed, there was the rubber ring from the old filter I removed before installing the new one! AHHHHHHHH.... anyways, just another warning to everyone out there that changes their own oil!
Old 10-03-2006, 05:37 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: stupid mistake(oil change warning)

Sorry it happend. Welcome to my world
Old 10-03-2006, 05:45 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Thanks for the reminder. When I changed my oil this last time, I figured I could unscrew it by reaching down through the engine compartment. As it unscrewed, the oil dripped down on the filter, so when it was free it slipped out of my hand and ended up in the pan. Make a nice splash underneath. [:@] Next time I'll grab it from underneath the car with a rag.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

That bites. But that's a good thing to read about. I'd probably have overlooked it also, as I would imagine the ring being covered in oil kind of gets camoflauged Hopefully it wasn't too much a hassle to clean up.

If you did it outside I suggest the roadflare + gas method of "cleanup." Don't need to wash it away if it burns away first [&:]
Old 10-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

Yup I was the guy who wrote and warned you guys about the gasket!! I remember that. Weird I just changed my oil again yesterday!!
And like always when I pulled the old filter off and drained it, I MADE SURE I looked to see if the old gasket came off with it when I drained it before reaching for the new one.. I've been doing this since I was 15-my dad taught me (I'm 47)
Tom
Oh and PS, put a thin film of oil with your finger on the new Filter gasket before screwing the new filter up there......
Old 10-05-2006, 12:09 AM
youngmustanger
1st Gear Member

This also happend to me, a couple of weeks ago, when I changed my oil. Most of my royal purple ended up on the floor, good thing I laid a tarp down.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:30 AM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thomas Ford

Oh and PS, put a thin film of oil with your finger on the new Filter gasket before screwing the new filter up there......
That will definitely help to keep the gasket from sticking and separating when you go to remove the filter. Some years back my boss told me the same story about losing the new oil and I've been checking the old filters ever since. Got 4 cars that I do the oil changes on and only one is mine.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

Cool!! Check the oil filter EVERY time when you pull it off before putting the new one on. And yes the thin oil rubbed on the new filter O ring prevents the sticking most times.
Tom
Old 10-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

When I remove the filter, I set up a "controlled dribble" from the filter to the pan using a piece of cardboard. Then I wiggle it around (I wiggle the filter, that is...) until no oil is dribbling out. Then I lift it down.

Ken
Old 10-06-2006, 03:58 PM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

LOL --- Guess I don;t feel that bad then I thought to myself - damn why do they tighten this filter so tight - it's a b!tch to get off. So figured , that I would put the new one back on , but not tighten as much... wow ... started it up, rolled off the ramps and what a nice piece of driveway art - LOL I quickly shut it off and checked underneath, sure enough I had to tighten it almost 8 more full turns - AAAGHHH Atleast I found out that way instead of 5 or 6 miles down the road

Quick Reply: stupid mistake(oil change warning)