Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Crummy MPG after cold air?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Mark_Henry

Default RE: Crummy MPG after cold air?

Okay, I updated the car last night to the 93 octane program and filled the tank up. I also went ahead and installed my new MRT sequential taillight harnesses (good quality and easy install) while I was waiting for the program to take. Now the car idles high (1100 rpm vs about 750 with the stock tune) both in Park and in neutral (IE while in gear, but stopped). It was late last night by the time I got done with all the mods, so I haven't had a chance to get it on the road yet. I'll drive it today and see how driveability has changed and will post back with the new mileage info once I work through the tank...

mark h
Old 10-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Mark_Henry

ORIGINAL: petepete

i dont see how any of you guys get over 250 i couldnt get that stock
Pete,

If you're at best hitting 250 miles per tank that means you're getting less than 17 MPG. That's way outside the range of what the car should be able to do, even with a custom tune and pipes (but maybe with a supercharger). If it's still under warranty you should have it looked at by a dealer.

mark h
Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I got a slight MPG bump when I added just dual exhaust. Then an additional slight improvement using CAI + tune. Didn't notice any change using Mobil 1 oil. Then a slight decrease going to the 17" GT take-off wheels & tires. And of course the engine was breaking in during that time. Summer driving with the AC on knocks it down..anyway just a reminder that sometimes there's more in play than you might be thinking.

I'm getting 26.8 mpg 95% hwy driving but lots of up/down hills...
Old 10-06-2006, 11:48 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I am averaging 17mpg. Delaware has less than 40 miles of Interstates, although we do have some good highways to the beach (where I get about 23mpg). Regardless, my mileage went up almost 1mpg after the tune/CAI with 93 octane. Keep in mind that our gas is blended with 10% Ethanol, which decreases mileage by about 10%. Never could figure that out - suppy of gas is increased by blending in 10% Ethanol, but demand is increased by 10% because we're getting worse gas mileage and need to fill up more often. Sounds like the Ethanol producers have a good lobbiest in DC!
Old 10-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

From a stop and reaching just 30mpg our cars eat gas like a fat kid on french fries on Maury. Coasting is where you see efficiency, so long as RPM's stay at or a little below 2K.

It would help if Ford actually gave is an instant MPG reader instead of that ****ing bar indicator. This isn't a cell phone, gimme actual numbers Ford! When Cingular sponsors you then sure the "more bars" thing could have a legit purpose. Instead it's just annoying.

City traffic I get about 21mpg. Interstate, depends on how much uphill is involved. I average between 28-31mpg. I can get about 450 miles on the interstate before needing a fill. At least those are all from my experience with 93 Brenspeed tune. I switched over to 87 tune, I want to see if I get any major hit in performance and efficiency. See if the 93oct is worth the cost or not.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:30 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

I usually get 25mpg depending whether its highway/city on that day but i noticed an increase by about 1-2mpg after i put mine on and im running a 91 tune at the moment. The only time i noticed it going down is when i lightly tested the new intake/tuner and so it ate the gas faster. But when im just driving normally and using cruising i get about 27mpg now.