Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just test drove a GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Default Just test drove a GT

Hey guys i have a 2006 V6 mustang with:
-pony pack (17" wheels)
-stick

I was intending to drive a GT exactly like my car, so i could concentrate on what the diff. was in power, but the one I test drove was:
GT California Special:
-stick
-18 wheels w/ BF GOODRICH G-Force
-3.55 limited slip ratio
-Shaker 1000

First thing that really pissed me off: Clutch grabbed in a TOTALLY different place, similar to my brothers jetta. It grabbed really far out. Also, it didnt have as much backpressure when pushing down as mine. The shifter felt different to, but that wasnt a problem (It felt more elasticy/slightly shorter throw)

Second thing I disliked: I dont know whether it was the 3.55 limited slip, 18" BF Goodrich tires, or a combination of the two; I couldnt get the damn wheels to spin even a little bit! Now, if i revved it up to 4,500 and dumped the clutch, it would have spun, but In my V6, i can almost accidentally make them spin AT LEAST a little bit. They also felt a little bit more bumpy, not as cushy as my pirrelli's.

Third thing: My car with a GT takeoff exhaust is louder. What the hell? I would definitley put louder exhaust on if I got one. It is deeper at idle, but i was expecting more.

Overall, the power was impressive, but I would definitley not spend the money on the Cali special and wheels and 3.55 ratio.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just test drove a GT

not doubting your driving ability but your car if you have a pp then you know your not able to really let the tires spin becuse of the traction control. and if the guy letting you test drive the car was willing to let you spin the tires i would be willing to bet your not the first one to do it so try another on if you intending to buy. just my .02
Old 10-09-2006, 09:26 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

With TCS on, i still can spin the wheels easily. There was no salesman with me when i test drove the car, but im planning on driving another without the 3.55 and 18 inch bf goodrich tires
Old 10-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Rnstanger
2nd Gear Member

A friend of mine let me drive her 05 GT when she first got it. It was actually the one that was on Overhaulin before it got Overhauled. Anyway, at the time I was driving my Mach1 as a DD and when I drove the 05 (auto), it felt pretty weak compared. Now of course it's stronger than the v6 but not so much to me that i would want to trade in the 6. I know what you mean about the aftermarket exhaust sounding louder on the 6 than a stock GT. I was at Chicane last week getting my springs put in and another guy was getting springs installed with a GT and he looks at me when they start both cars up and says "Your car is louder than mine". He almost looked a little dissapointed with his GT. hehe
Old 10-11-2006, 12:39 AM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know what the 3.55 limited slip ratio does?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

well we have like 3.31 gears i think (someone correct me), and the limited slip makes power to both wheels (2 wheel burnouts) as oppose to our 1 (only passenger side).

yeh gts come stock with tcs so mayb u didnt turn it off
Old 10-11-2006, 01:01 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LL88

Hey guys i have a 2006 V6 mustang with:
-pony pack (17" wheels)
-stick

I was intending to drive a GT exactly like my car, so i could concentrate on what the diff. was in power, but the one I test drove was:
GT California Special:
-stick
-18 wheels w/ BF GOODRICH G-Force
-3.55 limited slip ratio
-Shaker 1000

First thing that really pissed me off: Clutch grabbed in a TOTALLY different place, similar to my brothers jetta. It grabbed really far out. Also, it didnt have as much backpressure when pushing down as mine. The shifter felt different to, but that wasnt a problem (It felt more elasticy/slightly shorter throw)

Second thing I disliked: I dont know whether it was the 3.55 limited slip, 18" BF Goodrich tires, or a combination of the two; I couldnt get the damn wheels to spin even a little bit! Now, if i revved it up to 4,500 and dumped the clutch, it would have spun, but In my V6, i can almost accidentally make them spin AT LEAST a little bit. They also felt a little bit more bumpy, not as cushy as my pirrelli's.

Third thing: My car with a GT takeoff exhaust is louder. What the hell? I would definitley put louder exhaust on if I got one. It is deeper at idle, but i was expecting more.

Overall, the power was impressive, but I would definitley not spend the money on the Cali special and wheels and 3.55 ratio.
Very interesting viewpoint.....having owned an '05 GT with 17"/Pirellis and now an '06 GT with 18" Bullitts/BFGs, I think the BFGs are WAY better in a drag race....the whole purpose is NOT to spin. As for the V-6 with an aftermarket exhaust being louder, well the 60 degree V-6 has a very distinct sound( I agree with duals they sound really nice) and given the same exhaust setup the V-6 will usually sound louder....on the subject of clutch feel, my '06 feels super light as opposed to my '05(like night and day), but I have only driven the V-6 in auto form(not my cup of tea) so I can't comment on a stick V-6, are you considering a GT? The car handles much better with the 18" wheels and yes, the ride is firmer(lower profile tires do that). Plus IMO the 18"s just look more natural under the GT(and V-6 too)...best of luck.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for you imput. Yea, im considering doing the upgrade to a GT, mainly because I bought the V6 at a VERY good price, and I dont think ill do that bad on a trade. Now that I consider it, i would probably do the 18" BFG wheels, because of the increase in traction, especially in wet weather.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:05 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I love my 4.0L, but have no doubt, I test drove both cars stock and you WILL notice the difference on the GT. Both provide really good power for thier baseline engines, and with mods....show really good improvements on the track.

Just a little tip, I'm sure this will come with some debate. If you are a track junkie, and are shooting for going all out at the track, the 4.0 does show some real value in this area, namely if you break the motor. A replacment motor for our cars can be had for 800-1K bucks....400 if you really shop around at the salvage yards. For a built 4.0 block, 3-4K. For a 3V, its 4500-5400 and way more for a built block.

Don't get me wrong, mod for mod, block for block the 3v is a absolute monster. But if you want to go fast, and not have it kill your pocket book in case you break it, the 4.0 works pretty well for track junkies.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:10 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

if you cant spin tires on GT without reving engine up to 45k RPM then something is wrong with you.. not the car.. some times i just rev the engine to 1500 rpm and take of like regular and my tires loose.. if i rev up to 4500 RPM and dump the clutch let me tell u this, i will spin all the way though 2nd and even on second i will leave a long mark on the street.

Quick Reply: Just test drove a GT