Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rock paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Excalliber

Default Rock paint chips

Anybody having issues with rock chips?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:37 PM
mtbker29
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rock paint chips

Yeah they suck especially if you have a black car. I thought having a black car would hide some of the chips but I guess not.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I don't like rock chips. I recommend you avoid them. But unless you're willing to drive at granny speed, 100 yards behind the guy in front of you, they are inevitable. Accept the mortality of your car. It will give you 10 good years, then you'll either buy a new one, or get a repaint and some engine repairs.

Ken
Old 10-11-2006, 10:40 AM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers

I don't like rock chips. I recommend you avoid them. But unless you're willing to drive at granny speed, 100 yards behind the guy in front of you, they are inevitable. Accept the mortality of your car. It will give you 10 good years, then you'll either buy a new one, or get a repaint and some engine repairs.

Ken
I guess you have to be realistic and face the fact that your car will get beat up over time and it's not worth stressing out about it. No matter how careful I have been washing and waxing my stang, I can see swirl marks in the paint if I look hard enough and there are a few new scratches down along the bottom on the sides.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Excalliber

I accept the mortality of the car. But compared to other cars I have owned, this V6 in black after 6 months looks like its been peppered like that guy that Chenney shot last year. I know black is a bad color with respect to hiding imperfections but the chips that I am seeing seem excessive. I wonder if it is cheap Ford primer / paint. My wifes Saturn after 2 years with similiar driving conditions has virtually no rock paint chips. At the end of the day I am riding this till the wheels fall off but I wonder if its going to look like swiss cheese in 5 years
Old 10-12-2006, 04:10 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ARGGHHH! I $%@*$ HATE ROCK CHIPS !

I am so **** when I park my car and use it, I never get a ding. But there is NO WAY to avoid those freakin' rock chips. I have two real bad ones in the first 2000 miles, but with silver paint, they don't show at all.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:34 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Excalliber
Anybody having issues with rock chips?
I have several chips after only 2000 miles. I have a black car and they show up so dramatically. Apparently Ford used white primer because every chip is bright white and noticable, by me anyway, from 10 feet away. I have tried several times to buy black touch-up paint but they are always out of black. Hmmmm. I love my black Mustang but its driving me nuts taking care of it. Some dust here, a chip there, a smudge here, a scratch there, bird ****, tree sap, road tar, parking lot swinging doors, getting cut off by phone hogs and road hogs..... yeeeeoh. HELP.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

And did I mention BUGS?

Old 10-12-2006, 06:18 PM
chavalo_nm1
3rd Gear Member

Oh my gosh! Black is the hardest color to take care of. I thought I learned my lesson when I got my old GTP grand prix.......after 3 or four years....swirls all over and I told myself that I wasnt gonna get another black car but on the FORD lot the black stang was just soooo irresistibly..... now im starting to rethink if I should've gotten the black. But its beautiful though... Theres no other color that looks better when its clen and waxed.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:51 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

Black takes alot to keep clean... and protect.
I have some rock chips not too many though.
About every two days I wipe the front end off with a microfiber before the bug acid eats the paint []

Quick Reply: Rock paint chips