Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

$60 intake and new exhaust- PICS on 2nd page

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:10 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Custom intake i made $60

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

Some people do take off the axel backs but its so loud its just plain annoying so i wouldnt suggest it, i left it off for a couple minutes when i changed mufflers just to see what it sounded like going down the street, and i definately didnt like it.
that's funny cuz I love it lol. Is it safe to run it like that though and just leave it like that? I mean it seems to be fine.
-Mike
Old 10-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Custom intake i made $60-question pls read

??
Old 10-13-2006, 06:25 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

I dont think it would hurt it too much.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

Shoot man no axle back you probably are getting like 12 rwhp from that lol, but I wouldn't do it if I was you. Sounds like a good way to get a ticket, but also depends on where you live. I noticed you said Eastern time, and your name, so I'm betting being a big city like Jersey having smog and everything, cops wouldn't like it. Hey I did the same thing though just with tent. Bottom line it's your ride, so do what you feel. Also yeah the MAF being vertical is the problem, and if you are getting to much air you will need a tune.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dats1NiceMustang

Shoot man no axle back you probably are getting like 12 rwhp from that lol, but I wouldn't do it if I was you. Sounds like a good way to get a ticket, but also depends on where you live. I noticed you said Eastern time, and your name, so I'm betting being a big city like Jersey having smog and everything, cops wouldn't like it. Hey I did the same thing though just with tent. Bottom line it's your ride, so do what you feel. Also yeah the MAF being vertical is the problem, and if you are getting to much air you will need a tune.
yea lol....i'm in jersey and my friend around here runs a 89 5.0 with headers to open offroad h-pipe which is wayyyy louder than my car and he never gets pulled over so it's all good haha.
-Mike
Old 10-13-2006, 12:57 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

I had to retune my car back to stock last week (got an XCal II, and had to flash the stock tune back for the switch).

The car wouldn't stay running with the stock tune. If your new MAF housing isn't the exact same size as the stock housing, your car won't run without a tune. (at least it won't run well)

This explains why when you hooked a straight pipe to the stock air boot, everything worked fine.

The pipe really isn't as much of a problem as the stock MAF housing and air filter are. The MAF housing is quite small, and the filter has very little surface area. This is where most CAI kits make up their power.

The tube itself causes some restriction in flow, but not nearly that of the filter or the MAF housing.

I don't think the MAF being mounted horizontally or vertically would really effect it that much.

The car is probably 'safe' running with the exhaust the way you have it, but I can't really say without seeing where the exhaust ends.

If you are just letting the exhaust out mid car, you need to worry about where the exhaust is going. Is it going to melt anything under your car? Is it going to cause a hole, that might start leaking exhaust into your car?
If you are just running straight pipes out the back with no mufflers, everything should be ok.
If you are dumping your exhaust somewhere under your car, I'd suggest running some kind of pipe all the way back.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

thanks todd, yea i think though that the mass air flow sensor is made to sit horizontally and also it is a 3" housing tube so iunno. I mean, I'm going to flip it this afternoon and try it. The exhaust I have on there is running out the back and dumping behind the rear tire so its all good. One thing though, when you put on a filter and what not your car is supposed to run lean. If i keep my exhaust with the muffler off will that make up for the leaness??
Old 10-13-2006, 02:21 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

No the exhaust won't make up for any lean condition.

The way a MAF works is as follows:
There are 2 wires. 1 is open to incoming air. The other is not.

These wires are both heated to something like 250 degrees. The incoming air cools the wire that is open. The computer measures the difference between the voltage it takes to keep the first wire at 250 and the temp it takes to keep the open air wire at 250. This is how it knows how much air is coming in.

Make sure you didn't put the MAF in backwards. Air has to flow in the propper direction for it to work.

If you really want to go DIY, you can cut the MAF housing out of a stock air box. Put a conical filter where the air box used to be, and some sort of tubing replacing the stock rubber hose.

You 'probably' wouldn't need a retune with this method, as your MAF housings would stay the same size, and air would be measured at the same rate (even if it was coming in faster).

I'd find a spare air box to try this with. If you screw yours up, the car won't run.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

update:
So i put it in right and it runs. I drove it for about 30 mins goin pretty hard on it, no check engine light...this is with the intake on and the muffler off. Well then, after shutting the car off and running into 7/11, I come outside and start it and BLAM the check engine light comes on. So, I messed up my stock settings on the MAF and possibly my 02 sensor. My car runs fine with the intake and muffler off though, doesn't overheat, runs fine, no sluggishness, nothin. So should I just throw the intake on and leave the muffler off and just keep it like that till I get a tuner, while ignoring the check engine light???
-Mike
Old 10-13-2006, 09:53 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

pics

Quick Reply: $60 intake and new exhaust- PICS on 2nd page