Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Watch out when you wash...

Old 10-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Mark_Henry

Default Watch out when you wash...

I pulled into my local car wash this morning on the way to run errands and found a cop there taking a statement from a lady driving a red Mustang GT. Turns out someone had mashed a hand full of twisted metal shavings (like what you get from a lathe or milling machine - very bad stuff) into the bristles of the foaming brush. So, when the lady went to scrub the grime off her car she inadvertantly scratched the heck out of the paint (right to the primer in some spots). The officer and I checked the other seven foam brushes and found metal in five of them...

That might be the last time I consider using a public car wash.

mark h
Old 10-13-2006, 01:21 PM
pony girl 05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Watch out when you wash...

Thats one of the reasons I wash her at home by hand. You can never trust what some punk kid will think is funny to do to someones car obviously [:@]
Old 10-13-2006, 01:25 PM
shaner

I can't believe people use those brushes on their cars.
If the metal shavings didn't scratch the paint, the brush itself would have.

Those brushes are very coarse, for the love of god, don't use them on your car.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:28 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

They're soft nylon bristles and if you aren't applying a lot of force they shouldn't scratch anything.

I don't use them anyways, because if you keep the car clean, a good spray from the power wand should be all you need.

I have used them on other cars in the past with no problem.

Something like that should count as vandalism, lady should be able to get her car repainted without affecting her rates.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:46 PM
StangNeWbieDJB
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stratjakt

They're soft nylon bristles and if you aren't applying a lot of force they shouldn't scratch anything.

I don't use them anyways, because if you keep the car clean, a good spray from the power wand should be all you need.

I have used them on other cars in the past with no problem.

Something like that should count as vandalism, lady should be able to get her car repainted without affecting her rates.

Yes but Vandalism is usually covered under Comp. so whatever her comp deductable is will determine how she gets this fixed! mine was at $1000!!! so I lowered it to $250 monthly payment only went up 16 bucks! now anything happens to my pony I can get it fixed to prob! This story is funny because I had something similar happen to me...I pulled in after a 4x4 truck pulled out but didn't see it before it was clean and there were all kinds of rocks and crap in the brush so when I went to wash the car with brush a big clump of mud was smeared all over ! then went I got into the car I tracked mud on floor mats!!! MAN i was pissed!!!![:@]
Old 10-13-2006, 08:00 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

when washing, i never use the brush. Actually, most of the time i wash my car by hand with a soft sponge thing. those bristles on the brush seem too harsh for my taste
Old 10-13-2006, 09:59 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

yea i always go to this place where u wash it yourself and by the time i drive back home my car has water marks all over it. It pisses me off because its only a little cleaner then whern i washed it, and then i have to clean the car by hand.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:45 PM
SonoranStang

brush car washes trash paint jobs... I can spot the cars that use them as they drive down the street.

If you dont have a place to wash your car at home (like I don't) then at the very least use the self serve high pressure spray washes. NO brush should ever touch a paintjob. I've seen far to many nice new(er) cars that end up with panels being resprayed very early in life.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Sick Six
2nd Gear Member

I usually just do mine at home by hand, but in my town
we have had a water rashioning thing going on and if you
use too much water they turn it off and charge you a crap
load extra on your bill plus the charges to have the water turned
back on. Now I use the "self serve" car wash with the high pressure
hose and what not....The brushes there are soft but I always check
to make sure theres nothing jammed up in it, cause the same thing
happened to one of my friends PT cruiser, she was the one that told
me to always check them.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Rambo64

If I don't wash my at home I take it to a nice hand car wash. They clean the inside and outside as well as dress the tires and the inside for only 15-20 dollars. If you guys can find a hand car wash in your are I highly reccomend it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Watch out when you wash...