Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Too much power!

Old 10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Too much power!

Great times....i would love to get 45 degree temps down here , but the coldest it gets is around 78 in december[&:]
Old 10-16-2006, 05:21 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

Hey,

I was also at the track this weekend, and ran a 14.59 @ 94.0mph naturally aspirated. The temperature was only about 45 degrees and my car would not hook-up at all. I left the starting line around 2000rpm, when I should be leaving at 3000rpm. The car has really responded to the last couple mods, which I will post dyno numbers after this weekend (JBA ceramic headers - new addition). I am expecting no less than 220rwhp and 250rwtq, because the car has already put down 215rwhp and 244rwtq. The car should have run 14.30's @ 95.0 mph this weekend, but small tires and cold weather were my enemy.

I will be working on getting an aluminum driveshaft soon, with safety loop and wider rear tires. With a couple of tweaks, it should go 14.0's at 97.0mph. This will be my goal over the winter months coming up soon. That will then be the end of mods, while I save money for the Vortech Supercharger kit. I look forward to seeing everyone at the track next season, and maybe we may see 13.99 if I'm lucky. It's been a fun 2006, and hope to see everyone soon.

P.S. - I will be buying 20" rims soon, so I will be selling my 6 month old Falken Koblenz (black) rims 18 x 8's and BF Goodrich KDW2 255/45-18 tires. They are in really nice shape, only about 7000 miles on them. I have over $1500 invested, looking for $950 out of them. Anybody interested, can email me at smithars724@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
Dude... it was great to finally meet you!!! You made some very strong runs... but as Chad pointed out the track just kept getting slicker and slicker... i went over to Mid-Michigan on Sunday... those guys do nice job of keeping the track pretty sticky! It was very consistent all day...

Keep up the good work!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:14 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Hey,

Thanks for the compliments!

I have a 2006 with a manual transmission, so rpm launchs are whatever the tires can hold. I got some ideas, and with the help of Lidio and Alternative Auto I think 13.99 can happen. I will not strip my car of anything! I race the car, like I drive the car. I drive to the track, and then pull up to the lights!

Paul's High Performance did a nice job, but it's a race car pure and simple. My car already makes more power than the N/A 13.99 of Paul's. He was able to lighten the car and run slicks. There is much more power in there, it's just not easy power like a turbo or blower. Many people have doubted I would get this far, but I think 230rwhp and 260rwtq is there with no power adders. I understand some people can't see the potential, but that's ok. I hope to maximize the N/A portion first, then move into boost. Don't get me wrong, I will not touch any motor internals to get this power.

The current issue is that there is no use adding more power until I can hook what I already have. I am moving from a 255 series tire to a 295 series tire, which will give me an additional 40mm or 1.5inches more on the ground. Since I am running the car pretty hard, it would also make sense to add some safety in the form of an aluminum driveshaft and loop.

After all the items are in place, I need to find another 10hp/10tq. I still think there is more power in the exhaust system, I am running JBA headers and a performance single muffler. I think a nice true dual system would free up a few hp/tq. I will be adding Royal Purple treatment to the anti-freeze to reduce surface tention and provide better lubrication for the pump. The final area of inspection will be the intake manifold and throttle body, I need to look at these pieces closer to see if there is any potential there.

A couple people have mentioned "The bolt-on King", which I have spoken to him via email and I am already further ahead right now. If you click on my user name, you can see all the posts I've made.

One thing to note! I drove 80 miles each way to/from the drag-strip on Saturday, made 16 full-on passes and still arrived home with an 20mpg average! I have also made all this power with 86/87 octane fuel, not premium gas of 91/94 octane fuel. I am also going to run 86/87 octane fuel with the Vortech down the road, but may have to step to premium towards the end.

I am always watching for performance solutions, like the ones listed above. We have not seen a real batch of 4.0L performance parts yet, like lightweight flywheels and things of that nature. When I find these solutions, I'll be sure to post them. One of my goals was to show people there is an alternative to the GT, that doesn't suck!

If you have any performance needs, contact Lidio at Alternative Auto. They can show you a safe alternative solution. Oh ya, I almost forgot. Somebody mentioned 20" wheels and going slower, Alternative Auto ran a 10.90@127mph on 20" rims Saturday 10-14-06. The truth is they are heavier, and by a big margin but the 315 series tire makes up in traction far more than the few hp lost to higher weight.

Good Luck! P.S. - My Falken rims/tires are on Ebay, if interested take a look #270041029820.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I agree on the need to leave at a higher RPM. It will be interesting to see if you hook at 3K on the wider 20's. Would definitely put some speculation to rest.

As for maximizing exhaust gains, I think you will have to go duals with a straight through design muffler. I think this puts you in MRT/Magnapack territory. Maybe some glasspacks also, or SLP loud mouths. Though I think drone will be in your future, but the flow would be there. You thinking a larger catback system, perhaps some high flow cats as well? Have you considered exhaust cut outs? Dyno data has been inconclusive in this area btw for NA cars. My Y pipe vs X pipe before and after session showed a difference in 2HP in favor of the X pipe which is arguable on the dynojet.

As for Royal Purple, I have read mixed results on it and when used on the entire car, no gains were found. But all the results were mixed. I am curious to see what you find given your thoroughness.

Keep it up, your car is a strong example of what is doable without FI. And I think you and several others have already proven this is an alternative to a V8 without a blower. Low 14 second runs are good for any daily driver. Though I would love to see a 13.9 second pass on one.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:35 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

if you want to go NA, don't use 20" rims but go as light as possible and same goes for tires, you can go wide but keep low profile and light. Trust me, on NA car you can easily shave .1 sec by switching to lighter rims/tires. I used to race Civics/Supras NA and speak from experience :-)
Once you boost and get more tq, bigger wheels will help hook up better.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

You still haven't told us what bolt on's you are running
Old 10-16-2006, 10:51 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

94mph? thats a dream i wish i could meet lol.

even my latest 14.50 run was like 93.1mph.
i did finally break the 2.0 60' time though (1.998)

whats the DA at your track?
maybe scrming will know?

our DA was a horrible 3400 (usually around 5000 in the summer though).
Old 10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Wow! Seems like the V-6 responds very well to bolt-ons, low 14's with a V-6, take that 5.0L boys! Maybe a gear change will help getting into the 13s? I guess I'd better watch out for sleeper sixers, huh?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:52 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

i believe hes done gear swap already
Old 10-17-2006, 12:17 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

If you can get 230/260 please share the formula with everyone. I personally don't think it's realistic without internal work but I hope it is. Good luck on your quest!
ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

Hey,

Thanks for the compliments!

I have a 2006 with a manual transmission, so rpm launchs are whatever the tires can hold. I got some ideas, and with the help of Lidio and Alternative Auto I think 13.99 can happen. I will not strip my car of anything! I race the car, like I drive the car. I drive to the track, and then pull up to the lights!

Paul's High Performance did a nice job, but it's a race car pure and simple. My car already makes more power than the N/A 13.99 of Paul's. He was able to lighten the car and run slicks. There is much more power in there, it's just not easy power like a turbo or blower. Many people have doubted I would get this far, but I think 230rwhp and 260rwtq is there with no power adders. I understand some people can't see the potential, but that's ok. I hope to maximize the N/A portion first, then move into boost. Don't get me wrong, I will not touch any motor internals to get this power.

The current issue is that there is no use adding more power until I can hook what I already have. I am moving from a 255 series tire to a 295 series tire, which will give me an additional 40mm or 1.5inches more on the ground. Since I am running the car pretty hard, it would also make sense to add some safety in the form of an aluminum driveshaft and loop.

After all the items are in place, I need to find another 10hp/10tq. I still think there is more power in the exhaust system, I am running JBA headers and a performance single muffler. I think a nice true dual system would free up a few hp/tq. I will be adding Royal Purple treatment to the anti-freeze to reduce surface tention and provide better lubrication for the pump. The final area of inspection will be the intake manifold and throttle body, I need to look at these pieces closer to see if there is any potential there.

A couple people have mentioned "The bolt-on King", which I have spoken to him via email and I am already further ahead right now. If you click on my user name, you can see all the posts I've made.

One thing to note! I drove 80 miles each way to/from the drag-strip on Saturday, made 16 full-on passes and still arrived home with an 20mpg average! I have also made all this power with 86/87 octane fuel, not premium gas of 91/94 octane fuel. I am also going to run 86/87 octane fuel with the Vortech down the road, but may have to step to premium towards the end.

I am always watching for performance solutions, like the ones listed above. We have not seen a real batch of 4.0L performance parts yet, like lightweight flywheels and things of that nature. When I find these solutions, I'll be sure to post them. One of my goals was to show people there is an alternative to the GT, that doesn't suck!

If you have any performance needs, contact Lidio at Alternative Auto. They can show you a safe alternative solution. Oh ya, I almost forgot. Somebody mentioned 20" wheels and going slower, Alternative Auto ran a 10.90@127mph on 20" rims Saturday 10-14-06. The truth is they are heavier, and by a big margin but the 315 series tire makes up in traction far more than the few hp lost to higher weight.

Good Luck! P.S. - My Falken rims/tires are on Ebay, if interested take a look #270041029820.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too much power!