Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Loud clunk coming from the rear of my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:08 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default Loud clunk coming from the rear of my car?

I just got my car back from the dealership today. I had my tranny leak checked and I was having a loud clunking noise coming from the rear seats area. They of course told me there was no leak found. They found, just found residue. So they put some die in my tranny and let it set I guess and did a re-check and said "all under car dry". Whatever

I have this knocking coming from the rear. I had the suspension checked by Dave/fazm. Tight as can be.They are saying its the exhaust. I get the clunking when I mash the throttle after a certain rpm range. I'll be at around 3500 - 4000 rpm and if I lay in/out of the throttle real quick it go's CLUNK! Or if I go to down shift and get around a car and nail it she'll clunk too? It will even do it when I go over speed bumps sometimes. I got under my car as far as I could and the passenger side pipe is not moving at all its in there good. By the way I have duals. The driver side pipe is a little janky though and I can move it around with my hand but I couldn't get it to some what replicate the sound I hear. I don't have 200 some odd HP & TQ to jolt the car like I do driving though. Has anyone else had similar problems? i don't know if the dealership just looked at it and said it was my exhaust. They offered to fixed it but it of course would not be under warrenty. I said I would just try and take it back to the muffler shop. Even if I took it back to the muffler shop are they even going to know if its the exhaust for sure? I asked the guy to ask the mechanic where it was hitting exactly but he acted like he didn't hear me ask and I never got an answer.

Do you think It could be the gears?? It sounds like it could also be coming from that area too. I just have no clue. What would gears do if they were going bad?

Anyone with similar experiences please share.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:16 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Loud clunk coming from the rear of my car?

I have had the same problem and it was my exhaust on the drivers side where it goes over the rearend. There wasn't very much clearance between the pipe and the axel and when I went overe bumps it would hit. Try having it either raised and/or shortened; I did both to correct the problem.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:32 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Cool, Thank you for your imput.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:23 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

hey rick, i was just thinkin. the only one i didnt check was the one under the rear seat (remember when i ahd to remove it?)

next time you are around, lets check that too, but ya now that you mentioned the exhaust, id be willin to bet thats it, because i remember lookin at how little room there was when i was doin the previous work.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:42 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Its weird. Im gunna have the muffler shop look at it tommorrow hopefully. Might still order those headers also. Im itchin
Old 10-21-2006, 02:45 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

wait off on the headers until we get this figured out
Old 10-21-2006, 02:15 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

yea I know thats why im headed to the muffler shop right now. I need your help getting my air filter off too. Lol the thinkg is dirty as heck and can get to the screw to loosen up the fitting. its under the blower [:@]
Old 10-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

i had a similar clunk and it turned out to be a loose LCA ..but since dave already checked those...should be the exhaust.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:07 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Well I went to the muffler shop and the drivers side pipe was a little janky but not enough to be hitting anything?? I got underneath the lift and shook the heck out of the pipe and I could bearly get it to hit the acutally frame or whatever. Its got enough clearence from the axel, I couldn't get it to hit the axel. So they welded a stick of metal to hold the driver side muffler inplace and it help a lot the whold driver side pipe is as sterdy as my passenger side. But im still getting the clunking?!!!??!??!?!?

Could it be the shock or springs? Im starting the think its the gears but it will do it if I go over a speed bump and I won't even be touching the gas with the clutch in???? That would eliminate the gears meybe yea? I have no clue this is weird. I checked my spare & jack they are snug??
Any other suggestions??