Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Xcharger Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Xcharger Driving Impressions

ORIGINAL: LX200

It's very important you understand why you want to go to forced induction.

Are you trying to build a car to take to the track, where you will concentrate on 1/4 mile times?

Or do you intend to build a steet racer?

Or do you just want a car that has significantly better response and head snap in day to day driving?

For instance, I have narrowed my search to Xcharger because I NEVER intend to drive on a drag strip, and I do NOT intend to street race, but I want maximum seat of the pants appeal in my day to day driving. I virtually never take my car over 5000 RPM, so the extremely large amounts of torque produced by the XCharger (i.e. max torque at 2100 RPM) will give me an awesome seat of the pants performance.......

..... however, if I went to a track, the turbo boys and intercooled Vortec boys will spank me in the 1/4 mile.... but I'm not going to the track.......

Get it? There is no "best" until you think about what "best" means? I could drive you around in an XCharger car all day, snapping your head off, beating GT's from stop light to stop light, smoking a turbo car in a 150 ft drag between stop lights, and then go to the track and get dusted off by every turbo and Vortech in the 1/4 mile.

It's like Burger King.... have it your way.... but you have to know if you want a Whopper or a double cheese burger.

Good points there LX. I've toyed with the idea of going turbo with my vert. Even a S/C holds some interest. However, I know how I plan to use the car, and after much consideration I've decided to keep it naturally aspirated (N/A). With gears & LSD, I will be completely satisfied with running mid-to-upper 14's. I'll save up the money I would have spent on a power adder and use it to buy another car to tinker with. It will be a Ford, but probably not a Mustang (something with a carburator ).

Bill Jr.
28hopup
Old 10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Well, there was more than just excitement at the track today, there was excitement on the street. Navbtcret let me take his Xcharged 4.0L for a test drive to the track. We are talking a full hour of driving, local and highways.

For local driving, this thing is great. I got on it a tad coming around a corner out of a parking lot, and I mean just a tad and I could feel it…INSTANTLY. The low end power of this kit is impressive.

For highway driving, it pulls hard…and keeps the power there. No, its not like a centri or turbo, but it does maintains power, driving it on the top end you can see why the power does not drop off.

Closing impressions are this is an extremely streetable kit. It feels 100% NA. It feels the most natural of FI systems out there, which is good if you let your other half drive the car. It nets solid times, and really feels like a stock car with more power. This is where I can see a lot of members wanting it.

Also, I think this thing will make an awesome bracket car. Because the power progression is so evened out and smooth, I can see extremely consistent times with this car.
So are you thinking that Stella will get reborn with a SC??? Are you getting a taste for bracket racing now Todd??? (j/k)

Thanks for the post...
Old 10-24-2006, 06:48 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Are you trying to build a car to take to the track, where you will concentrate on 1/4 mile times?

Or do you just want a car that has significantly better response and head snap in day to day driving?

For instance, I have narrowed my search to Xcharger because I NEVER intend to drive on a drag strip, and I do NOT intend to street race, but I want maximum seat of the pants appeal in my day to day driving. I virtually never take my car over 5000 RPM, so the extremely large amounts of torque produced by the XCharger (i.e. max torque at 2100 RPM) will give me an awesome seat of the pants performance.......

..... however, if I went to a track, the turbo boys and intercooled Vortec boys will spank me in the 1/4 mile.... but I'm not going to the track.......

Get it? There is no "best" until you think about what "best" means? I could drive you around in an XCharger car all day, snapping your head off, beating GT's from stop light to stop light, smoking a turbo car in a 150 ft drag between stop lights, and then go to the track and get dusted off by every turbo and Vortech in the 1/4 mile.

It's like Burger King.... have it your way.... but you have to know if you want a Whopper or a double cheese burger.
Actually I don't think you'll beat Rygen's turbo car even in a 150 foot drag race (this of couse is before his blown head gasket)... He cut a 1.78 on his 60'... The x-charger went 1.97... so you are .2 behind at only 60 feet! Heck even with my stock torque converter and centrifugal SC I cut a 1.95!

Now I don't have 330' for the x-charger.... but if you look even at the 1/8 mile numbers:

x-charger: 8.718@80.30
vortech: 8.475@82.26

So at the 1/8 of a mile i'm .24 ahead... you are getting spanked before the 1/4 mile... LOL! And actually if you look at the 1/4 mile results and work backwards... now i understand things are not linear here.. but I'm guessing even in a 150 foot race the x-charger and me are going to be about even... I would say though that at the 330' the I'm starting to pull away..

Old 10-24-2006, 07:03 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28hopup

Good points there LX. I've toyed with the idea of going turbo with my vert. Even a S/C holds some interest. However, I know how I plan to use the car, and after much consideration I've decided to keep it naturally aspirated (N/A). With gears & LSD, I will be completely satisfied with running mid-to-upper 14's. I'll save up the money I would have spent on a power adder and use it to buy another car to tinker with. It will be a Ford, but probably not a Mustang (something with a carburator ).

Bill Jr.
28hopup
Bill... very good thoughts... because while I have settled on the XCharger, it is my choice *IF* I go to FI.... I am really battling with the idea of not doing FI, and keeping the $4500 as part of a downpayment on a 2009 GT Vert, and maybe even trade my existing vert. Every time I drive the Stang, I wonder why I want more power. Like you, I am thinking of adding 3.73's and LSD, and really, that might just be good enough for me. IT IS A VERY HARD decision. The "Gotta have it" part of me continuously pulls me to get the XCharger, while the practical side of me says "The car is fast enough, and you bought it for fun back roads drives with the top down anyway.... who needs FI"..... and, it would be nice to have a full three year warranty on engine and trans (I can always pull the CAI off).

ARGGHHHHH. If only I was rich, then I would do FI, get a 2007 GT now, and then trade it on a new GT in 2009. But... I got kids to put through college....

In the end, there is a 50% chance I will stay N/A, and deal with my demons...
Old 10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Are those times for the HiPo XCharger kit, or the California kit??
Old 10-24-2006, 07:23 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Are those times for the HiPo XCharger kit, or the California kit??
No, that time is with the california kit with DR's, auburn lsd, 3.73 gears, MT DR's, and PH LCA's. He is converting to a hipo kit later.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:25 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28hopup

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Well, there was more than just excitement at the track today, there was excitement on the street. Navbtcret let me take his Xcharged 4.0L for a test drive to the track. We are talking a full hour of driving, local and highways.

For local driving, this thing is great. I got on it a tad coming around a corner out of a parking lot, and I mean just a tad and I could feel it…INSTANTLY. The low end power of this kit is impressive.

For highway driving, it pulls hard…and keeps the power there. No, its not like a centri or turbo, but it does maintains power, driving it on the top end you can see why the power does not drop off.

Closing impressions are this is an extremely streetable kit. It feels 100% NA. It feels the most natural of FI systems out there, which is good if you let your other half drive the car. It nets solid times, and really feels like a stock car with more power. This is where I can see a lot of members wanting it.

Also, I think this thing will make an awesome bracket car. Because the power progression is so evened out and smooth, I can see extremely consistent times with this car.
So are you thinking that Stella will get reborn with a SC??? Are you getting a taste for bracket racing now Todd??? (j/k)

Thanks for the post...
No, Stella is sticking with the PH turbo...in a much more serious configuration. But, I have been thinking of a Xcharger for my explorer. LOL.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:35 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6VenoM

hey afixer I see you guys have that running horse emblem on the grille, with the center lights...i have that grille and I actually bought a grille emblem but cant seem to get it to latch on..which emblem did u buy and how did u get it on there? any help is appreciated. thanks

ORIGINAL: afixer

here is the group buy

here is the thread regarding my install with pics on how i mounted it.
https://mustangforums.com/m_1929768/tm.htm
Old 10-25-2006, 09:27 AM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

thanks afixer
Old 10-27-2006, 01:03 PM
tomzac

What is the cfm of the Xcharger? And what psi do the normal kits produce?

Quick Reply: Xcharger Driving Impressions