Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 Handling in the rain without traction control

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:23 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Default RE: V6 Handling in the rain without traction control

I commute in my car ... have driven in hard rain several times ... it doesn't seem different than any other car I've driven in the rain. I don't have ABS or TC and all trips in the rain have been uneventful ...
Old 10-31-2006, 02:30 AM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Hey JerseyFury! Where the heck do you live in Central Oregon? I'm in Sisters. Check out our local Mustang Club at www.deschutescountymustangs.com it's an awesome group of folks, and we had a blast this past summer.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:08 AM
Sick Six
2nd Gear Member

After a while the stang becomes easy to handle
in the rain, its real predictable. Don't get on the throttle
too hard on a rainy corner though I did that in
the town I live in once, I did a full 360 into the opposite lane
......luckily no one was around to see and I just drove in
that lane like I had always been in it! Complete accident though
so yeah. If you are real cautious then you should be fine.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:02 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I hope you're not advocating sliding around corners in the rain as a safe driving method! LOL That poor guy will end up wrapping his new car around a pole!
ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

i really hate to be a dick here, but mustangs cannot be called a death trap in the context of being hard to control. the car is like putty in my hands under hard driving, and in the rain, nothing changes. incredibly predictable, very communicative, pretty much impossible to lose control IMO. its so cool in the rain, instead of making a full turn, i just turn the wheel 15-30 degrees and steer with my right foot. call me lazy, but once u start doing it, it becomes a habit.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:56 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

traction control will save your *** sometimes....sometimes it wont....
Old 10-31-2006, 09:00 AM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

The traction control doesn’t do anything...any slight rain and my rear slides, I already did a 180 degree spin after some drizzle, when I accelerated a bit to hard coming of an exit.. Luckily the road was wide and I was the only one on it at the time....I hate driving this car in the rain, I can't imagine what the winter will be like, but its the only car I have so I just have to be carefull...
Old 10-31-2006, 09:18 AM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DragonPL

The traction control doesn’t do anything...any slight rain and my rear slides, I already did a 180 degree spin after some drizzle, when I accelerated a bit to hard coming of an exit.. Luckily the road was wide and I was the only one on it at the time....I hate driving this car in the rain, I can't imagine what the winter will be like, but its the only car I have so I just have to be carefull...

I dont think this car is that bad in the rain. I have driven much worse. Just go easy around the corners and DRAGONPL as far as the winter goes. I have driven mine the past two winters here in jersey through a few blizzards. I put snow tires on the rear, although I recommend studded and go all the way around, I just didnt have the money to do it. And I put 250lbs of cat litter in my trunk for extra weight and I drove in a lower gear. I have an AUTO so I drove in 3. Don't hit the gas hard. when u feel ur rear going out get off the gas let the tires catch and oh yeah stay away from hills lol Getting up a hill in the snow will be the hardest thing you will do lol Good luck
Old 10-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Cayuse

Hey JerseyFury! Where the heck do you live in Central Oregon? I'm in Sisters. Check out our local Mustang Club at www.deschutescountymustangs.com it's an awesome group of folks, and we had a blast this past summer.
shoot man! I was just out there in Bend for the past year and it doesn't look like i'm comin back anytime soon. Living in monterey pines at the base of the hill at central oregon community college. About 5 mins from downtown!

EDIT- about the rain though...i mean i guess you could say once u get on the throttle around a corner or nething..once the back end starts going i feel it has a tendency to "swing" more than other cars. Regarding breaking loose while driving, i've never had it happen but you just gotta make sure you drive carefully so that the tires do no break traction. TCS on these cars isn't very helpful anyway. When driving in the winter in Oregon, I once had the TCS on and I slammed the gas to see what would happen, the tire spun for about a second or two then locked....i mean it's TCS but nothing like BMW or Mercedes so...yea
Old 10-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

410's tloc no traction control and the stock bfg's(at least right now). The car is very predictable and you can steer the back end with the throtle once you get used to it, just dont do anything stupid like mashing the gas all the way in an u turn or a corner. In time you will learn to like the rain ..at least i do ...its like having a 500 hp car with crappy tires in dry conditions. Enjoy.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Ruc22

Thanks everyone for the good advice! I live in S. California so we don't have to deal with rain quite as much as those from Oregon (where I'm originally from). It sounds like my car will be similar to a 2WD pickup as far as traction in the rain goes.

Quick Reply: V6 Handling in the rain without traction control