Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 Handling in the rain without traction control

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 12:36 PM
white05stang

Default RE: V6 Handling in the rain without traction control

My car is my daily driver and has been in the rain many times . I have never had a single problem. the only time she ever spun around is when I wanted it to as long as you are not stomping on it or speeding you should be fine[sm=gears.gif]
Old 10-31-2006, 03:54 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

i really hate to be a dick here, but mustangs cannot be called a death trap in the context of being hard to control. the car is like putty in my hands under hard driving, and in the rain, nothing changes. incredibly predictable, very communicative, pretty much impossible to lose control IMO. its so cool in the rain, instead of making a full turn, i just turn the wheel 15-30 degrees and steer with my right foot. call me lazy, but once u start doing it, it becomes a habit.

exactly. I've had two-wheel drive light pickups most of my life... kicking out your rear end is actually helpful sometime.

If you know how to drive.. your Mustang will be fine in the rain.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:01 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DragonPL

The traction control doesn’t do anything...any slight rain and my rear slides, I already did a 180 degree spin after some drizzle, when I accelerated a bit to hard coming of an exit.. Luckily the road was wide and I was the only one on it at the time....I hate driving this car in the rain, I can't imagine what the winter will be like, but its the only car I have so I just have to be carefull...
That's funny.. mine kicks in shifting into second gear all the time..

Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

I don't have ABS or TC on my V6 Auto (quite used to old school driving anyway) and have had no troublesome events driving on wet roads. However, I do not feel comfy with the BF 16" stock tires in the rain. I have hydroplaned when I felt the tires should not have and I have felt them want to start to lose traction when cornering in wet conditions sooner easier than I think they should. I'm a careful driver and can pretty much "feel" what the car will or won't do and I won't push it in the rain.... but primarily because of the tires, not the lack of TC or the way the car itself handles.

I think our cars handle fantastically for their size and weight. They are well balanced. I think this issue is tire related more than anything else. I for one am buying a much better set of tires very soon.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:24 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

ive spun out a few times in the rain. But when i spin ou ti like the tracion control to be off because if its on you lose power and cant try to steer your way out of it o_O
Traction control stops the tires from rotating when they are SLIPPING. If they are NOT slipping, TC does nothing. If they ARE slipping, they are not adding to your ability to "steer out of it". This is the kind of convoluted logic that had people not wearing safety belts for 20 years ("I might be trapped unconscience in a burning car"..... doh.... if you're unconscience in a burning car, it doesn't matter if you have a belt on or not, you're burning.)
Old 10-31-2006, 07:24 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: LX200

ORIGINAL: petepete

ive spun out a few times in the rain. But when i spin ou ti like the tracion control to be off because if its on you lose power and cant try to steer your way out of it o_O
Traction control stops the tires from rotating when they are SLIPPING. If they are NOT slipping, TC does nothing. If they ARE slipping, they are not adding to your ability to "steer out of it". This is the kind of convoluted logic that had people not wearing safety belts for 20 years ("I might be trapped unconscience in a burning car"..... doh.... if you're unconscience in a burning car, it doesn't matter if you have a belt on or not, you're burning.)
But at least you're unconscious!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:53 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

My car is all over the place in the rain , you can barely touch the gas or the tires will start spinning. I was at the parking lot at my school and it was wet out and I tried to turn in the parking lot a little to fast and the whole car started to slide sideways. But if you drive nice and slow and accelerate slow its no problem at all.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

i dont have traction control and for the most part my car handles pretty good.. sometimes the wheels spin going from a light but then all u gotta do is ease off the gas and ur good....
Old 10-31-2006, 10:11 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

Yea from a lights when mine spin, once u get goin they dont spin.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Ruc22

Before my Mustang I had a Ford Ranger 2WD and drove it in all types of conditions without a problem. I should also point out that my Mustang has the GT takeoff wheels and Pirelli (sp?) Nero tires. Thanks again for all of the good information, I feel much better now!

Quick Reply: V6 Handling in the rain without traction control