Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dual exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

Default Dual exhaust question

I know many of you have purchased the take off GT mufflers and had them installed. I already have a gt muffler installed to replace the factory one and recently got another one for the left side

My question for you guys, is the left side installed just for appaearance on yours, or is it actually tapped into the other side via crosspipe?

Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dual exhaust question

i know i saw one person on here who hung it just for looks until they could get the money for true duals...
Old 11-01-2006, 10:09 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

Yeah I wasnt sure if it mattered or not. Just hanging it or actually running it across into the other side
Old 11-01-2006, 10:16 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

Would hate to be that person when it gets cold and smoke comes out of only one pipe....Hummmm

I can't back this up, I din't dyno it but I felt a slight gain in power when I went dual, that was my first Mod......

Old 11-01-2006, 10:20 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

LOL

Thanks A sixer
Old 11-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

yea that's the only thing i'd be worried about lol. One night when me and my buddies just popped the muffler off but left it hanging we were driving around and a cop was behind us and you could see the smoke coming like out the side under the car lol...who knows why we didnt get pulled over
Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: A_Sixer

Would hate to be that person when it gets cold and smoke comes out of only one pipe....Hummmm

I can't back this up, I din't dyno it but I felt a slight gain in power when I went dual, that was my first Mod......

Single or duals, when you change the muffler you'll see a difference, duals show only a very small gain over just a single axleback though. Reason being, the restrictive stock muffler is crap, but the piping is actually good. And the other reason is duals aren't needed on a six, so the gains aren't there much over just a single aftermarket exhaust.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:32 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jericho73

ORIGINAL: A_Sixer

Single or duals, when you change the muffler you'll see a difference, duals show only a very small gain over just a single axleback though. Reason being, the restrictive stock muffler is crap, but the piping is actually good. And the other reason is duals aren't needed on a six, so the gains aren't there much over just a single aftermarket exhaust.
Agreed,

I was just stating that going dual unplugged will leave one pipe smoking while the other is not....I would think that scenario totally ruins the intended visual effect ScreaminYellow was trying to accomplish ......

Most sixers will get the same amount of performance from a single (aftermarket) than from duals...unless you do what I did, (new headers, SC, etc)..... it is all about pressure stabilization......[8D]