Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New rear going FI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:47 AM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New rear going FI?

Regarding replacing the stock rear end with the GT 8.8-inch unit. I've done quit a bit of talking to Shelby regarding the CS6 conversion (supercharged V6) and they felt quite strongly that the 8.8-inch rear end was required with the S/C application to maintain the longevity of the vehicle. My first mod was a tuner, but my second was the 8.8-inch rear end. Next will be an aftermarket driveshaft. At this point I should have a very good foundation for any engine modifications. It's kind of the ground up vs. the top down approach. You could stay with the stock unit, replacing it down the road, but consider that there is a finite amount of time that the GT take off parts are going to be available at reasonable prices. Once Ford introduces the next generation of Mustangs, the prices on such components in new or nearly new condition are going to go way up.

Also keep in mind you get a limited slip differential (LSD) and depending on which GT is the donor car (manual or automatic) you can get either 3.55 or 3.31 gears. If you add the LSD or gears to your OEM rear end and later decide to switch you are going to take an additional loss financially.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:51 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

very true. I mean, I think Shelby feels very passionate for the 8.8 because when they sell a car, they have to be sure that it's going to perform under any condition you can put it in...ya know? I mean it's just my opinion but that's what I think. I definetly agree that it would be a good idea to do what you're doing but I mean, I'm going to be drag racing the car a bit during the summer but mainly driving it on the street. I'm planning on getting a carbon fiber driveshaft and some loops for it most definetly if I stick with the stock setup....i've got an 05 with the 2 piece driveshaft I think...don't want that flyin up through my center console when i'm goin 130mph...would definetly ruin my day haha. Thanks for the info Pyrat

ORIGINAL: Pyrat

Regarding replacing the stock rear end with the GT 8.8-inch unit. I've done quit a bit of talking to Shelby regarding the CS6 conversion (supercharged V6) and they felt quite strongly that the 8.8-inch rear end was required with the S/C application to maintain the longevity of the vehicle. My first mod was a tuner, but my second was the 8.8-inch rear end. Next will be an aftermarket driveshaft. At this point I should have a very good foundation for any engine modifications. It's kind of the ground up vs. the top down approach. You could stay with the stock unit, replacing it down the road, but consider that there is a finite amount of time that the GT take off parts are going to be available at reasonable prices. Once Ford introduces the next generation of Mustangs, the prices on such components in new or nearly new condition are going to go way up.

Also keep in mind you get a limited slip differential (LSD) and depending on which GT is the donor car (manual or automatic) you can get either 3.55 or 3.31 gears. If you add the LSD or gears to your OEM rear end and later decide to switch you are going to take an additional loss financially.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:26 AM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

One thing I forgot to mention WRT the rear end swap, you need to change the GT flange/yoke to fit the V6 driveshaft. The Shelby units through Hilbank come with this flange installed, but if you get one from someone else you will need to make sure exactly which flange it comes with. Here's the Ford P/N for the flange you will need: FM E9TZ-4851-A

Edit: Here's another MF thread on this you might find helpful: https://mustangforums.com/m_2082727/tm.htm
Old 11-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

nice man, thank you
Old 11-14-2006, 07:19 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pyrat

I suspect the real reason behind 8.8 for the CS6 is it is simply a lot easier to put an 8.8 with a trac-lock and 3.55's in it than doing the upgrade on the 7.5....