Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car running like sh!t

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 05:22 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

Default Car running like ****

A month or so ago I had a Gt takeoff installed in place of the factory muffler. I then had the car tuned. Everything was fine.

A week and a half ago I received the drivers side GT Muffler(part of the diversified marketing deal) and decided to run duals all the way back.

Since then my car has been idling funny. It has even stalled at red lights on a few occasions. Even when I am sitting still it doesnt even go up tp 1000 on the RPM guage

Anyone had this happen or do you think it is something all together seperate?

Any help is appreciated
Old 11-15-2006, 05:24 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Car running like ****

When I went to duals back when I was NA, my first dual kit was the Magnaflow kit. Instructions said to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it to force the computer to adjust for the increased air flow. Been awhile, don't remember the exact details. But I would give that a try, just disconnect it for 5 minutes then reconnect it.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:32 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

That makes sense Rygen I will give it a try, I appreciate the help
Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

I have dual GT take offs, nothing wrong with idle... and your car is not supposed to idle at 1000 rpms at a stop light... more like 600 or 800.. only upon start up is when it idles higher.. The ECU in our stangs sometimes needs to be reset every once in awhile.. so do what Rygen said and disconnect the battery... then put it back and see what happens.. it might seem like the car is slower but its just the ECU re-learning itself.. hehe..

[IMG]local://upfiles/40863/26E46143505440879AA429BEF79C008B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-15-2006, 09:12 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

If I disconnect the battery will that have any affect on my tune? Also I was looking over my Diversified invoice and noticed they sent me a muffler from an Automatic, not a stickshift. Does that matter? I already had a GT bolt on from a stickshift. Not sure if that means anything but apparently I have one muffler from a stick and one from an automatic installed
Old 11-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

same thing
Old 11-16-2006, 12:50 AM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

I had duals put on and never got a tune and the car runs fine, course I had them installed with less than 1500 on the car.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScreaminYellow

If I disconnect the battery will that have any affect on my tune? Also I was looking over my Diversified invoice and noticed they sent me a muffler from an Automatic, not a stickshift. Does that matter? I already had a GT bolt on from a stickshift. Not sure if that means anything but apparently I have one muffler from a stick and one from an automatic installed
maybe it's the tune that caused the problem. From what I read around here.. a tune is not really needed just for duals.
Also.. someone said you can turn the key to auxiliary.. wait for the dials to stabilize, depress the gas pedal and release it slowly, turn the key to off.. then start the car. They recommended that for throttle lag.. so I'm thinking it might "reset" the computer too.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:40 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

I tried what you guys said and it seems to still be doing it somewhat. It isnt like it is undrivable but even if you go back behind the cars you can tell the air coming out doesnt sound right

I called a local SCT dealer about it(was gonna make an appointment for next week) but they said I need to get in ASAP because this could do some valve damage

Not sure if this is true or they are just trying to get me in faster
Old 11-16-2006, 07:08 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

I went over to SCT's website and they have an open forum where they ask questions. Here is SCT's response

Ryan@SCT
Admin / SCT Employee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That should not have an effect on the way the vehicle runs.

Do you still have the stock O2 sensors in the stock locations?

Ryan

Quick Reply: Car running like sh!t