Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Road Course Racing

Old 11-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Epsom

Default Road Course Racing

Hey guys I had a few questions about road course racing.

1. Are there any places in southern california to run on a road course?

2. I have the '06 pony package, what would be the best upgrades besides new shocks to improve performance on tracks?

3. Also would I need a helmet or anything?

I have always wanted to do the road course thing just have no idea how to get started.

Oh and I got my racing stripes put on my car! I'll post pictures soon my computer with them is out of commision right now.
I'd appperciate any help guys
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2006, 12:28 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Road Course Racing

Go online and look up Willow Springs, you can run there when they have an open track day, or join a club and go on one of their days. You will need a helmet and if you drive a vert you'll need a rollbar. You may also consider autocross, it's a short version of road racing around a course set up on an airport runway or large parking lot. Go to www.solo2.com and check out their practice days. There's one coming up in one week (24th) at California Speedway in Fontana. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2006, 03:01 AM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Epsom

Hey guys I had a few questions about road course racing.

1. Are there any places in southern california to run on a road course?
Plenty, but I'd suggest you start off autocrossing. Join the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and check in with your local region. These guys will be able to answer all your questions.

2. I have the '06 pony package, what would be the best upgrades besides new shocks to improve performance on tracks?
After you join SCCA, give them a call and get in touch with the rules guy. He can answer your questions with regard to the class you would be racing in. Basically, very basically, in autocross you can do just about anything short of moving suspension attachment points and adding three point suspension bracing. Again, talk to the rules guy as SCCA for all the details.

3. Also would I need a helmet or anything?
On a track, yes, but again, once you are an SCCA member you will be able to call their 800 number and get all this info from the experts.

I have always wanted to do the road course thing just have no idea how to get started.
Welcome to the club. Road racing is a blast. Buy a copy of this book, it is a great reference for the beginning racer.

Amazon link
Old 11-18-2006, 02:56 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

@Pyrat, where besides Willow Springs do you know of in So Cal to road race, and can you do it without a roll bar? I'm very interested in this but don't want to have to install a rollbar.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:19 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Installing a roll bar is required at most, if not all, road racing events. Just the price we pay for going "open-air". Find a good fab shop and it's not a heart breaker. Mine cost around $650 to fab ans do the welding on the car. Looks good, and I get a ton of comments at events.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beaustang

@Pyrat, where besides Willow Springs do you know of in So Cal to road race, and can you do it without a roll bar? I'm very interested in this but don't want to have to install a rollbar.
05 Cayuse is correct, any track event that I know of, including Solo I require convertibles to have roll bars. Autocross (Solo II), which is run, usually, in a parking lot using cones to designate the course, does not require them, so if you want to go road racing without a roll bar, Autocross is about your only option.