Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Exhaust sounds terrible!

Old 11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Exhaust sounds terrible!

H pipe

X pipe

I really suck at explaining things but the hpipe gives it a bit more throaty sound.These are great for chambered mufflers such as the gt take offs or flowmasters. X pipe gives a little higher pitch but more hp gains.This sounds good with magnaflows or slp loudmouths because they are already a little higher pitch and are basically just straight pipe. Straight pipes also sound a bit higher pitched and without f/i i can see how it could cause some loss of hp on the low end but gain on the high end. Im not sure if that is true or not. I used to have the gt take offs with an hpipe and it was really deep and loud. Now i have maganaflows and will be doing straight piping as well no sure how it will sound but i have a feeling it should sound pretty good. Here is a ssound clip from hambone with the magna flow offroad x pipe and gt duals. http://marklhammond.googlepages.com/exhaustvideoclips As you can hear its prety low but can be a little bit more high pitch at the high end. With h pipe i always sounded pretty deep. Also hpipe gives you some of that gargling sound which some people like( i do) but some people dont. Hopefully someone can jump in and explain the difference in pipes better for you
Old 11-21-2006, 09:57 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

Would I not get the same effect by adding a cross pipe to my current configuration?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:58 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

Also which is the cheaper way to fix the problem. A new H pipe or just replace the Mufflers?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

really i cant really tell you. Each setup is going to sound very different. It really depends on how you like the sound. If you want it deep. your gonna need an h pipe

Edit: An hpipe will probably be cheaper than getting straight through mufflers like magnaflows or slps.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

just slap a Prochamber on there if you dont want to go with a H-pipe. apparently mac's prochamber gives you more "horsepower". well that what will from mac told me on the phone. but yeah i say go with a H-pipe. Plus never let someone at a shop tell you want to put on your car. Remember its you car and your paying them to do what you ask not tell you what to do to your car.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:58 PM
boomerman
1st Gear Member

Wouldn't the simple answer be just to take it back and tell them how you wanted it done?
Sounds like he did it how he wanted not the way you wanted it done.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

yeah basically just go back and tell him you want it done the way you told him to do it.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:08 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

In all fairness to the shop in my case, I just told them to run the true duals, nothing about an H pipe because honestly, I didnt know..

I just need to figure out how to fix it.

Guess I will get the H pipe
Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Andaloro99

I am going back tomorow and I'm going to have him put the H pipe on like he was supposed to do the first time. I didn't have time to deal with it today and he WILL do it for free. One of the reasons for this post was also to find out if the H pipe would help the sound. Thanks guys, it sounds as if it will.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:46 AM
AmericanMade
3rd Gear Member

Get an H-pipe. A lot of GT guys are also prefering H-pipes over the X-pipe because it sounds better at higher RPM's. The H-pipe is there to balance and equal out the exhaust. I had no H-pipe before also and when I got the H-pipe installed... it was A LOT deeper and throatier! You could also add a could air intake and tune to make it sound even BETTER! Hope I helped a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Exhaust sounds terrible!