Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

F/I ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
StangNeWbieDJB
2nd Gear Member

Default F/I ???

I'm broke now but I know I'll be pulling myself out of it soon...maybe Feb. Anyway, I'm all infected with the mod bug ..not cuz I've added anything but because you all have and you all talk about how cool your crap is all day!!! and you have video and sound!!! It's a blessing and a curse I got an account here because now...I day dream and dream about how fast I could be and how much fun it would be to work on my car and add new cooler, faster, better, sounding modds!!!

Alright sorry for the rant but here is my question:

Most of the Supercharger sites claim straight Bolt -On will be fine for adding a supercharger. but I have heard in the past you need LT headers if you go supercharger and ST headers if you go Turbo... but if it's supposed to be a straight bolt on part then why the specific header type?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: F/I ???

ORIGINAL: StangNeWbieDJB

I'm broke now but I know I'll be pulling myself out of it soon...maybe Feb. Anyway, I'm all infected with the mod bug ..not cuz I've added anything but because you all have and you all talk about how cool your crap is all day!!! and you have video and sound!!! It's a blessing and a curse I got an account here because now...I day dream and dream about how fast I could be and how much fun it would be to work on my car and add new cooler, faster, better, sounding modds!!!

Alright sorry for the rant but here is my question:

Most of the Supercharger sites claim straight Bolt -On will be fine for adding a supercharger. but I have heard in the past you need LT headers if you go supercharger and ST headers if you go Turbo... but if it's supposed to be a straight bolt on part then why the specific header type?

Thanks!
No kit that I know of REQUIRES any "extra" bolt-ons... The complete kits come with everything you need to bolt it on to a 100% stock car... It is nice however to add things like a LSD and some suspension upgrades (LCA in particular) to take better advantage of the addtional power...
Old 11-28-2006, 07:45 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

nope. LT's will help make more power with a blower, and you can only use shorties if you go turbo, but most if not all kits will give you everything you need (besides tuning on some). everything will bolt right up, but they are not extremely easy installs. a turbo install is very long and you need some experience for that along with a centri install (although a centri will take less time to install and will usually be a bit easier). the easiest install wise will be the x-charger, but the x can't make the same kinda power numbers, or the same kinda performance with its current cooling setup (no intercooler). i will either be going f/i in spring or going heads/cams. personally, i will probably be getting either procharger or x-charger. turbo+install is just too much cash imo and i don't really like air-liquid cooling, but this is all personal preference. sit down, research all of them, and decide what is most cost efficient and safe for what YOU want to do.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 PM
StangNeWbieDJB
2nd Gear Member

so we got 2 different answers here...hmmmm?

I'll give a little more background... I am going to KEEP my Stang! I was going to trade up for a GT but I think it's going to be more fun having a V6 that no expects...(zzzzzzzzz) Shhhhh.... she's sleeping... lol! With that said I plan to go in this order:

1. SCT LimeLight!!! or Xcal but really like the cool features of the new limelight!!
2. CAI
3. Single exhaust
4. Headers ( ST or LT??? I don't know what to get because I don't know what I'll be getting in the future)

After that I plan to do nothing but suspension upgrades in plans for the F/I...I would hate to have a crap load of power but be afraid to use it.

Does this help???
Old 11-28-2006, 09:14 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

they aren't really different. scrming gave added parts that most people do when going f/i because they will help with performance. none of them are necessary to run any of the f/i kits, but are reccomended. I think you mean SCT livewire, but your mod list sounds good. all of them should give you pretty good gains except for headers. nobody has really seen much of a gain if any with headers as far as i have seen. If you plan on going f/i you may want to just skip the CAI as you will not be able to use it with most if not all of the systems, and some people have seen the same gains with just a tune and a drop in filter compared to cai and tune.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Ant69
2nd Gear Member

The guy at my local shop basically told me that decisions now may mean changes later and that it's cheaper in the long run to do your homework and ask loads of questions before buying anything. Know what you are going to do before you buy. Which has been great advice but kept me from making any HP upgrades of any kind so far. Looks like you're on the right track so far.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:51 PM
StangNeWbieDJB
2nd Gear Member

Oh okay, it almost sounded like 2 different answers... That's been bugging me for some time! (Shorty's or LT's???)

I think you mean SCT livewire
LOL!!! Yeah dude that thing looks soooo nice! all those features...

Thanks for the responce. Maybe I'll skip the headers until I make up my mind SC or TC...it is a tough choice...kinda like going dual exhaust or not...

That also sounds more resonable too... so for now it sounds like the best thing to do is SCT"LiveWire" lol!, Exhaust, and suspension upgrades...and I'll worry about the headers later...

If you plan on going f/i you may want to just skip the CAI as you will not be able to use it with most if not all of the systems, and some people have seen the same gains with just a tune and a drop in filter compared to cai and tune.
REALLY! Dude why buy CAI for $300+ when it's about the same gains??? I also noticed a few aftermarket CAI's that utilize the stock intake pipe...couldn't we just buy a filter and stick it in the pipe ,so to speak, and remove the box???

Soooo many questions sorry...