Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:58 PM
AmericanMade
3rd Gear Member

Default Tuner Question

Hey guys... I want to buy a tuner right now but I will be going F/I next year... Will I have to get a new tuner or can I just edit the tunes on the tuner to have it work with the supercharger? Or do I just send it to Bamachips (that's where I'm getting it from) and they do it for me (obviously I'll have to pay them) Thanks a lot!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:49 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tuner Question

You need a different tune with FI. When you buy now, most tuners will give you three tunes. You could ask for one tune you use now (like 93 octane stock, or 89 octane stock) and also ask for a tune for the power adder you will be putting on. This assumes you know which FI you will put on.

If not, you can buy a tune later. It can be emailed to you and downloaded to your computer. Then you move it to your XCal2.

Best bet is to ask Ba ma Chips how they want to handle this.

B a m a Chips
B ama Chips
Ba ma Chips
Bam a Chips
Bam-a Chips
B-ama Chips
B-a-m-a Chips
B A M A Chips
Old 12-01-2006, 06:07 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Personally when it comes to FI if at all possible I would have it custom dyno tuned... That being said, if you buy a tuner now and then later you go FI and you decide you want a custom dyno tune than you can reuse your tuner if the shop handles that brand... Example: I originally bought my x-cal2 from Justin, I then bought Lidio's tune and loaded it on my X-cal2. I then bought the Vortech from MRT and had them do a custum dyno tune and they simply loaded the tune on my x-cal2...
Old 12-02-2006, 02:48 AM
bztz4m
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

You need a different tune with FI. When you buy now, most tuners will give you three tunes. You could ask for one tune you use now (like 93 octane stock, or 89 octane stock) and also ask for a tune for the power adder you will be putting on. This assumes you know which FI you will put on.

If not, you can buy a tune later. It can be emailed to you and downloaded to your computer. Then you move it to your XCal2.

Best bet is to ask Ba ma Chips how they want to handle this.

B a m a Chips
B ama Chips
Ba ma Chips
Bam a Chips
Bam-a Chips
B-ama Chips
B-a-m-a Chips
B A M A Chips
After working with Doug from Bamachips I have to tell you this guy is great. For the last week we have been emailing back and forth me sending him data from the Stock Vortech tune. And tonight he sent me a tune to try out this weekend. I sent the new data logging from the new tune for him to review. I can't wait to get the car on the Dyno.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Ant69
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

Personally when it comes to FI if at all possible I would have it custom dyno tuned... That being said, if you buy a tuner now and then later you go FI and you decide you want a custom dyno tune than you can reuse your tuner if the shop handles that brand... Example: I originally bought my x-cal2 from Justin, I then bought Lidio's tune and loaded it on my X-cal2. I then bought the Vortech from MRT and had them do a custum dyno tune and they simply loaded the tune on my x-cal2...
So if I get my MMR CAI now and use the supplied X-cal II tune I could keep the tuner and just upload a new custom dyno tune for F/I later, even though I have to get rid of the tube.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

If you are going FI in the near future, you might want to look at the SCT Livewire system. It will give you some additional functionality with your FI setup. The drawback is that I don't believe it is generally available right now. If immediacy and/or cost is an issue take a look at the SCT XCalibrator2, which does the same tuning thing as the Livewire but dose not have the readouts etc.

There is also the Predator tuner, but I have no familiarity with it other than what I've read on the forums. The general consensus seems to be the Predator has some advantages for manual transmission cars, where the XCal2 has advantages for automatics. On a unit in use basis, the XCal2 seems to be more popular then the Predator.