Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Another "strange sound when shifting" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
TexasPenguin

Default Another "strange sound when shifting" thread!

This one is real difficult to describe (and probably impossible to describe to the dealership!).
When the car is first started (doesn't seem to make any difference what the ambient temperature is - in Texas it could be anywhere between 18 and 80 this time of year!), the first couple of 1st to second shifts gives this real strange sound from somewhere under the car near the rear wheels.
The best I can describe the sound is exactly like the sound of a startled pheasant. Yes I know we don't have them in Texas, but I'm not from here! Sort of a rasping sound that comes in two bursts all over in a second.
I can never get it to happen more than once or twice.
Now how the hell can I give a problem to the dealer that happens only on the first pull away and I can't even describe the sound??
Old 12-07-2006, 06:27 PM
06torchstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Another "strange sound when shifting" thread!

Mine does the exact same thing. It does one time then no more. I took it to the dealer and they said a heat shield was loose, but it still does it. I'm going to take it back to get that checked out once more and to get the stinking rattle out of my dash.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:20 PM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Another "strange sound when shifting" thread!

I've got it too, however I think it's the exhaust. It only does it when the car is cold.
I noticed it does it right as you let off the throttle when you shift...I did it at a stand still, and it did it (just not as bad)..
I'm not worried as I'm getting duals soon