Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Warranty woes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:30 PM
bwm264

Default RE: Warranty woes...

That sucks. It's pretty obvious that it was a loose part during installation, but it still sucks.

Have him check a local engine builder. They may be able to fix it for considerably less. He may have to get his hands a bit dirty and do some of the work like pulling it out and taking it to them. But if you can save a couple thousand $$$, it's worth it.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:49 PM
slopoke89

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

I actually think I saw the engine request for this vehicle. My buddy is likely the one who sent the inspector (completely independent from Ford mind you). First off, there is NO, I repeat NO way the bolt came from the engine builder. Funny how it went three months before this happened. Besides, the vehicle had been driven before he got it regardless if he ordered it.

THIS is why CAI's are a bad idea. Granted things like this don't happen often, but COME ON PEOPLE! The guy installed his own intake system and foreign material ended up in the engine........ It does not take a lot of physical proof or investigative skills to conclude that the engine's failure is a direct result of modification.

Details details details - whatever. If the engine failure is in ANY way attributable to ANY modification performed - it can and likely will be denied. I. E. Aftermarket air filtration system + foreign object debris = Your checkbook. Besides, there is no hardware like that in the stock configuration that come loose and drop down. I don't know all the details here, but I don't think the situation is unreasonable. Especially with the consideration of the other modifications you so cleverly attempted to hide.
This is true that the situation is unreasonable, but just as you said, it was driven for three months. Two of those months, the air intake was on, and everything was fine. The question is still where did the screw come from?

He knows he's SOL, I know he's SOL. I still feel for the guy though because out of the thousands of Mustang owner/modifiers, he is one of the unlucky few.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

From reading Ford's response it doesn't matter where the screw came from. They know it wasn't from them the minute he modded the car. Again this is the risk we all take. I would think that all of us modding our cars saves Ford a lot of money over a years time.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Red Knight
1st Gear Member

This type of situation is the main reason I have been hesitant to add a CAI and tuner to my car. I may wait until the car is out of warranty, or I may just say what the *&^% and go for it anyway.

I guess like most things in life, it all depends on the level of risk one is comfortable taking.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:24 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I wonder what the reasoning is by those who say that this is why they don't want to mod until after the warranty is up. What sense does that make? If you wait to mod until after the warranty is up and something happens there is absolutly no chance of getting it fixed; if you mod now and somrthing happens you at least have a chance of getting it warrantied. Moral of the story; if you plan on modding you might as well do it now.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:00 AM
jettblack06
1st Gear Member

definately have to say this will be a customer pay job right here
Old 12-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Mark_Henry

Why not take the opportunity to learn how to rebuild an engine? Looking at the parts affected I would think that you could get the engine running for around $1,400 in parts and a weekend. If you don't feel comfortable with trying that route, one option would also be to call around to local tech colleges to see if one has an engine class that would rebuild your engine for the cost of parts (but you'd have to wait while they did it). I got some great body work and a paint job done on my '73 Challenger for next to nothing.

Regards,

mark h
Old 12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

wow that is complete bull****. so they're pretty much saying that long tube headers and an intake caused a full engine failure....i would have an outrage over that
Old 12-09-2006, 12:57 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

LOL, as objective and reasonable as I can possibly be, I still can't understand the view of those who feel this guy is getting joshed!
Lets say you are a restaurant owner. Some guy comes in and orders a hamburger and wants it cooked rare. He then gets ill and tries to claim that YOU are the reason he is sick. It is obvious that he got sick because of the raw burger that HE wanted and paid for. Would you just show up in court and pay the guy whatever he is claiming? ABSOLUTELY NOT. The warranty covers MANUFACTURER DEFECTS. Not whatever breaks within a certain mileage. I mean, with this type of logic you could just go do burnouts and track events on your stock tires and then argue that all your tire replacements should be covered under warranty. Your tires failed because of what YOU did to them. Just like this guy. As unfortunate as it is, the engine failure is directly related to what he did to the engine. Aftermarket air filtration + foreign material = "gee, screws don't fall in the engine with the stock airbox now do they?" = I have the ability and the right to deny your claim because the screw was likely ingested from someone (not a factory tech) being careless. That and the fact that there is no hardware like that in the stock configuration that could drop in there.
Keep in mind here that if a certified factory tech had serviced your (stock) air cleaner assembly - the DEALER would have paid for it because you would have the advantage in the argument : "it failed right after he serviced it. HE must have left something in there".
Old 12-09-2006, 01:06 PM
07 Orange

Is scrming in the post above actually advocating fraud? Trying to put an engine back to stock configuration and going back to a dealer claiming is was an strictly warranty issue without revealing mods is a FELONY.

Quick Reply: Warranty woes...