Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 / GT bumper exchange questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Medicane84
1st Gear Member

Default V6 / GT bumper exchange questions

Hey there guys, Im new to the forum. In any case, I have a v6 premium with the pony package.

I had some general questions, followed by some specific questions-
General:
I am interested in going with a dual exhaust setup. Now I have two options, cut out a matching notch for the other exhaust in my bumper, or go with a GT bumper (from that online store v6stuff - its a link on this forum, great site). I've opted to go with the GT bumper since it comes painted, etc

In any case, While I'm at it, I was looking at the GT front bumper (NOT the grill with the foglights, just the front bumper since I like my pony package fog lights), and the "Rocker Side Panels." I had a question, has anyone that has a pony package on their V6 performed this swap, and if so, what did they think - are they pleased? Do the side panels fit on nice? and how do they look on the V6?

Now moving onto the specifics, does anyone on this forum live in the Miami area? I live in Miami, and although I know theres a bumper faq on this page, I've opted to just pay some shop to do it for me, and I'll supply the bumpers, etc. Does anyone know a good place in the general area (Dade or Broward County) that does work, and does anyone have any general idea how much the labor would cost? I just wanted to start getting some ideas - I want to do this for January more or less.

Thanks a lot guys, and by the way I love this forum. Good reads everywhere.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:08 PM
grbrorng07
1st Gear Member

Default RE: V6 / GT bumper exchange questions

I have done the rear and side rockers but not the front bumper. I do not think the V-6 grille will fit right since the GT grille is larger. The GT grille will not fit the V-6 bumper without modifications. The rear bumper and the side rockers are a piece of cake. i have read that the front is a major project and i know it requires you to purchase some extra pieces. I know one is new fender wells. i have added a couple pictures of my side rockers and the rear bumper.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51868/5E2CA30A51B1474E85B175C2CB473E92.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51868/EDA7015FA63B45A1A801194A0FD83D21.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

I'm sorta in the Miami area...lol! 20 minutes from Saleen's hq!

You can fit the pony package/v6 grille to the GT bumper, but it is a PITA and will take some custom work, mine is wedged in....since the v6 grille itself, either one, is smaller then the GT bumper grille opening, mine has the plastic clasps that would normally fit into the v6 bumper and secure the grille, those clasps are wedged up against the inside of the GT clasp slots. Also, at the bottom i have two screws drilled in to secure the v6 grille to the bumper. There will always be some gap, the v6 grille just isn't big enough, but if you do it right, you can't even tell. To the naked eye mine looks stock...in the end i think it looks way better, but i can't stand the big GT fogs.

I also have the GT side skirts/rockers on mine...i think they make the car look much, much more aggressive and better. As for a shop...it's a really really really simple, unscrew,screw job to put on the GT stuff, any shop should be able to do it, and since they aren't really doing any body/paint work to the car they shouldn't screw it up at all.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:54 PM
samuraidad
1st Gear Member

I am in Palm Beach and one Dealer (Wayne Akers) has an aftermarker division and will keep your vehicle in warranty as they are going to do my sons V6 conversion to duals. I also had them put on a aftermarket spoiler. They bodyshop did a great job ( I am very picky). The labor charge was 75.00 which I thought was more than fiar and they did it while I waited.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Medicane84
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it. Well after looking at those beautiful pics, and reading all of your posts, I've decided to go with the Side Rocker Panels, and only the Rear Bumper (I'll just leave the front bumper alone). In any case, Samurai Dad, did you have to supply the body shop with the parts yourself, or did you purchase it from them directly? Also, lets say I ordered the parts from an online store such as v6mustangstuff etc, would I ship them to myself, or to the body shop (provided you talked to them prior to that of course) directly?

Thanks alot guys
Old 12-21-2006, 10:43 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I don't see a difference between the GT rocker panels and what I have on my pony package. Am I missing something? Is it that they are painted to match the body?

ORIGINAL: grbrorng07

I have done the rear and side rockers but not the front bumper. I do not think the V-6 grille will fit right since the GT grille is larger. The GT grille will not fit the V-6 bumper without modifications. The rear bumper and the side rockers are a piece of cake. i have read that the front is a major project and i know it requires you to purchase some extra pieces. I know one is new fender wells. i have added a couple pictures of my side rockers and the rear bumper.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51868/5E2CA30A51B1474E85B175C2CB473E92.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51868/EDA7015FA63B45A1A801194A0FD83D21.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Yeah the Gt Side skirts are painted to match the body, I got the Gt side skirts, and it makes a big difference especially on a black car the lines flow way better.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:47 AM
samuraidad
1st Gear Member

I ordered the spoiler from a company called wood dash experts, came painted with lifetime warranty on paint and materials. Was very happy when I received the spoiler.I had the spoiler shipped to my home total cost was 210 plus the install. The paint work was excellent and the match was perfect. Since you are in Miami the is a local company called the spoiler depot who has a factory style at 219 painted (just the spoiler).
Old 12-22-2006, 02:56 AM
samuraidad
1st Gear Member

Must be late cause I did not fully answer you question. As far as the duals everything is being supplied by the dealer. had thoughts ao changing the rear bumper to the GT but decided against it now. However that is subject to change with my sons input. If I do change I will most likely get a new bumper from ford dealer and have it painted (warranty etc). The cost of a new bumper was not much differeent and I will make the shipping cost up on the paint/labor.
Since you are in Miami check out Steeda in Pompano off Atlantic. They have some vehicles on the grounds that will make you think you died and went to stang heaven
Old 12-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Medicane84
1st Gear Member

Thank you, I appreciate the help. So you think instead of ordering it from an online store, to just purchase it / paint it from the dealer directly? Sounds like a good plan.

Quick Reply: V6 / GT bumper exchange questions