Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JBA Shorty Headers V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:03 PM
ottawapony
1st Gear Member

Default JBA Shorty Headers V6

I am thinking of installing JBA shorty headers on my 05 V6. Has anyone have these? What are the gains? Are they easy to install (how long). I have a single exhaust magnaflow muffler. What do you all think.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: JBA Shorty Headers V6

ORIGINAL: ottawapony

I am thinking of installing JBA shorty headers on my 05 V6. Has anyone have these? What are the gains? Are they easy to install (how long). I have a single exhaust magnaflow muffler. What do you all think.

I think your gains will be minimal....
Old 12-22-2006, 02:42 PM
enorym
2nd Gear Member

I have these on my car and "INSTALLED THEM MYSELF" There are gains you will see 10-20hp from the shortys. I guess the 3.8L mustangs must have the same exhaust ports because the directions that came with them are for the 3.8L and gaskets were wraped up in the directions. Its no walk in the park to install these to be honest its far more deciveing there are little things you have to deal with all that space to work on it in the engine bay made it look so easy to me. You have to use small brackets "PROVIDED IN THE KIT" to move the coil pack over about an inch on the driver side. On the passanger side you have to loosen up the radiator hose bracketry thats mounted on the side of the engine because both on the driver side and passanger side of the engine the flange of the jba headers is perty thick and these brackets must sit on top of them. Its kinda a pain to get to the bolts on the side of the engine block but the worst part of it is getting under the car to loosen up the ones from thestock exhaust manifoldto the collectos/catalytic converters. There are two removeable studs on the stock manifolds, I didnt realize that they were removeable studs till I broke one because I kept torqeing it off with my torque wrench. Make sure you use a socket wrench + an open end wrench when you take these bolts off these studs. Ill either find some pictures or take some of the bitch part. BUT to top it all off I think the hardest part for me was tightening the 25mm egr bolt back on. My 25mm open end is huge! So I couldent fit it in there correctly. But it took me like 10min to thread it on and tighten it.

In the long run its worth putting headers on almost any car. As long as they are desniged correctly they will move air away faster than any cast manifold that is made. However FORD did make these new casts better than they ever made on any previous v6 mustang. On older 3.8 models the cast manifolds would crack because condensation would drip on them from the a/c lines. I do know that Ford made these casts thicker and more duarable, and they hold heat better because of this cast makeing these cars do well in emissions as well. If you want to lower heat in the engine bay get a set of headers, you will see a power increase because the air is move efficently moved out of the engine. Its a far larger increase that any intake will give you. Your torqe band will move up and you can feel it until you shift around 5500rpm. Definately worth it.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:46 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: enorym

I have these on my car and "INSTALLED THEM MYSELF" There are gains you will see 10-20hp from the shortys. I guess the 3.8L mustangs must have the same exhaust ports because the directions that came with them are for the 3.8L and gaskets were wraped up in the directions. Its no walk in the park to install these to be honest its far more deciveing there are little things you have to deal with all that space to work on it in the engine bay made it look so easy to me. You have to use small brackets "PROVIDED IN THE KIT" to move the coil pack over about an inch on the driver side. On the passanger side you have to loosen up the radiator hose bracketry thats mounted on the side of the engine because both on the driver side and passanger side of the engine the flange of the jba headers is perty thick and these brackets must sit on top of them. Its kinda a pain to get to the bolts on the side of the engine block but the worst part of it is getting under the car to loosen up the ones from the stock exhaust manifold to the collectos/catalytic converters. There are two removeable studs on the stock manifolds, I didnt realize that they were removeable studs till I broke one because I kept torqeing it off with my torque wrench. Make sure you use a socket wrench + an open end wrench when you take these bolts off these studs. Ill either find some pictures or take some of the bitch part. BUT to top it all off I think the hardest part for me was tightening the 25mm egr bolt back on. My 25mm open end is huge! So I couldent fit it in there correctly. But it took me like 10min to thread it on and tighten it.

In the long run its worth putting headers on almost any car. As long as they are desniged correctly they will move air away faster than any cast manifold that is made. However FORD did make these new casts better than they ever made on any previous v6 mustang. On older 3.8 models the cast manifolds would crack because condensation would drip on them from the a/c lines. I do know that Ford made these casts thicker and more duarable, and they hold heat better because of this cast makeing these cars do well in emissions as well. If you want to lower heat in the engine bay get a set of headers, you will see a power increase because the air is move efficently moved out of the engine. Its a far larger increase that any intake will give you. Your torqe band will move up and you can feel it until you shift around 5500rpm. Definately worth it.
I doubt you would even see 10RWHP gain... let alone 20!! LOL! Paul's shop did a JBA headers and JBA mufflers and only seen 17RWHP... 10 of that is just probably the muffler!! A GT take muffler is good for 10RWHP... you figure a JBA muffler should be as good as that...

put of course your the guy that gets a big gain out of his TB spacer while everyone else's dyno test show ZERO gains... LOL!
Old 12-22-2006, 07:07 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Well I can't speak for NA but I when I got my supercharger put on I made 275hp 285tq in 111 degree weather with no headers. I had the headers put on, had my driveshaft put on and took it to the dyno. It was 86 degrees out compared to 111. My car made about 300 hp & tq. I got about 25 hp gain and 15 tq gain. I don't think all that gain was cooler weather and aluminum driveshaft, I think the jba shortie headers had something to do with it.

In my opinion, FI they make a great difference. The whole car had a better response in the earlier rpms before I even got it tuned, felt alot stronger. They are definitly worth it. I got the chrome JBA shorties for about $230.00 shipped.[/align]
Old 12-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

I have these on my car and "INSTALLED THEM MYSELF" There are gains you will see 10-20hp from the shortys. I guess the 3.8L mustangs must have the same exhaust ports because the directions that came with them are for the 3.8L and gaskets were wraped up in the directions. Its no walk in the park to install these to be honest its far more deciveing there are little things you have to deal with all that space to work on it in the engine bay made it look so easy to me. You have to use small brackets "PROVIDED IN THE KIT" to move the coil pack over about an inch on the driver side. On the passanger side you have to loosen up the radiator hose bracketry thats mounted on the side of the engine because both on the driver side and passanger side of the engine the flange of the jba headers is perty thick and these brackets must sit on top of them. Its kinda a pain to get to the bolts on the side of the engine block but the worst part of it is getting under the car to loosen up the ones from thestock exhaust manifoldto the collectos/catalytic converters. There are two removeable studs on the stock manifolds, I didnt realize that they were removeable studs till I broke one because I kept torqeing it off with my torque wrench. Make sure you use a socket wrench + an open end wrench when you take these bolts off these studs. Ill either find some pictures or take some of the bitch part. BUT to top it all off I think the hardest part for me was tightening the 25mm egr bolt back on. My 25mm open end is huge! So I couldent fit it in there correctly. But it took me like 10min to thread it on and tighten it.

I doubt you would even see 10RWHP gain... let alone 20!! LOL! Paul's shop did a JBA headers and JBA mufflers and only seen 17RWHP... 10 of that is just probably the muffler!! A GT take muffler is good for 10RWHP... you figure a JBA muffler should be as good as that...

put of course your the guy that gets a big gain out of his TB spacer while everyone else's dyno test show ZERO gains... LOL!
lol ...your killing me John jeje jeje. I just got the jba's as well but i think the gains will be from 0 -5 hp not more than that. Good Luck
Old 12-23-2006, 04:31 AM
enorym
2nd Gear Member

Maybe you should get some and have experiance hands on with them before you yap. Try it out. Its definately more hp gainthan a intake manifold cover or a painted yellow alternator cover.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:37 AM
enorym
2nd Gear Member

How come everything with you is always second hand? Ive done it I feel an improvement. Eh talking to you is like talking to a wall.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:52 AM
AmericanMade
3rd Gear Member

I have these headers ceramic coated and the gains are minimal... I barely noticed a better acceleration, but that's about it. It sounds different though but they might help in the long run if you go F/I
Old 12-23-2006, 09:57 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

How come everything with you is always second hand? Ive done it I feel an improvement. Eh talking to you is like talking to a wall.
Please post your before and after dyno sheets... "feeling" an improvement doesn't count...

Quick Reply: JBA Shorty Headers V6