Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust shop troubles

Old 12-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Ry05Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust shop troubles

I went to an exhaust shop around here last Wednesday to get a dual exhaust put on the car. I told him I had the mufflers I wanted, that he just had to put an H pipe on, mount the driver's side, and trim the bumper. He said I could come in last Friday morning, so I dropped it off at 8 AM. At 11 AM he called me and told me he couldn't do it, he said he needs me to buy an exhaust "kit" online. He wants me to bring in all the piping for him to do the job... should I try to find a GT take-off h-pipe setup (he said it doesn't matter if it's a GT setup or not, he can make it fit), or just go somewhere else?

He originally quoted me at $250. What do you guys think?
Old 12-26-2006, 11:34 AM
grbrorng07
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust shop troubles

I took mine to a local shop here along with 2-GT takeoff mufflers and the 2 additional hanges needed. I did install the GT rear bumper, but anyway they bent the pipe for the driver side and made an H pipe all for $175.00. Sounds great and looks stock. I have read on here many people that have had the same thing done for about the same price. Sounds like i would find a differant shop.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51868/E3BF38A82EB04DFAAEAD8DDC792356C9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-26-2006, 01:19 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

Definatly go to another shop!!!

ORIGINAL: Ry05Stang

I went to an exhaust shop around here last Wednesday to get a dual exhaust put on the car. I told him I had the mufflers I wanted, that he just had to put an H pipe on, mount the driver's side, and trim the bumper. He said I could come in last Friday morning, so I dropped it off at 8 AM. At 11 AM he called me and told me he couldn't do it, he said he needs me to buy an exhaust "kit" online. He wants me to bring in all the piping for him to do the job... should I try to find a GT take-off h-pipe setup (he said it doesn't matter if it's a GT setup or not, he can make it fit), or just go somewhere else?

He originally quoted me at $250. What do you guys think?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:23 PM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

Go to another shop dude.
If he cant fabricate something as simple as this, he obviously doesnt know what he's doing.
The guy im taking mine to, he fabricates everything himself and does a beautiful job. (You should see the headers he made for this 69 Boss 302.....GORGEOUS!!)

Where are you located?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Ry05Stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm in Rhode Island.. there's not many shops around here that I know of, I've asked many members of my family about it and it looks like Im going to have to travel to CT or NH to one of my uncle's mechanics to have this done, which isn't a big deal.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:27 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Thats sucks, usually exhaust shops are cool. They can usually fab anything if has to do with exhaust
Old 12-28-2006, 05:25 AM
Ant69
2nd Gear Member

Any exhaustshop even a non performance specific shop for the family trucksterlike Midas or Mieneke should be able handle something like that. If you're having trouble finding one ask around at the local speed shops if they can't do it they usually know someone who can.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Ry05Stang
2nd Gear Member

I found someone willing to sell a Gt cat-back exhaust h pipe to me, so i called the exhaust shop again and he quoted me at just $100 for that install if I bring the pipes and mufflers.. so it turns out i'll end up saving some money going there afterall
Old 12-29-2006, 12:19 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

In my opinion, it might not be such a bad idea to use as many factory parts as you can. The bends are in the right places and everything fits the way that it's supposed to. I got a new Ford midpipe (left side) for $87 and a Ford racing X-pipe for about $120 and everything fit perfectly. I didn't have to rely on the skill of my local pipe bender. I'm sure that a lot of these guys can do a good job, I just don't know which one can and which one can't.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Ry05Stang
2nd Gear Member

OK so my exhaust shop said they need me to find some over axle pipes, not the H,which can be taken off of the GT.. anyone have take-offs? Or know where I can get these?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust shop troubles