Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bang-for-Buck ~ Long-Tube vs. Short-Tube MACs

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:51 PM
AmericanMade
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bang-for-Buck ~ Long-Tube vs. Short-Tube MACs

You can put cats on with LT headers, but they're going to be in a differenct location. They'll be at the bottom instead of halfway down the pipe like they are on the factory pipe. Flapjack has LT headers with hi-flow cats and he has pics on his write up.
This is his heads and cams write up but he has pics of the LT headers and cats: http://american-speed.com/collective...ead.php?t=3843
You'll probably have to make an account to view them if you don't have one already.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:23 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

So some one tell me a logical difference between getting shorties and taking off the cats . Or getting long tubs. ????? im confused. Seems like shorties with no cats is the same idea as the long tubes. Does the air flow better/longer with long tubes and make for a better hp and tq gain at a certain rpm range?? Some chime in cause this has to be answered please.

it has to do with the lengths of the tubes before they come back together into a single tube..... shorties of course have short (and I believe unequal length) tubes, while long tubes have longer (and I believe equal length tubes)... Having the individual tubes being longer and balanced is the advantage of LT's...
Old 12-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Sniper308
2nd Gear Member

Okay, that helps, Screaming, thanks.

Going with long tubes, then, I'm presuming I should do an H-pipe exhaust connection... and by having a shop do it, I suppose I'll have to keep cats, so maybe I want those hi-flow cats some folks sell. Does this sound right?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

"Tuned" long tube equal length headers set up a pulsed pressure wave that runs up and down the tubes. At a set rpm range, this pressure wave becomes very efficient at scavenging the burnt gases out of the cylinders. Most long tube headers are tuned for the higher rpm range and are less efficient at lower rpms. Short tube headers do not set up this pulsed wave as effectively and so produce less power. However all headers remove the restrictionsthat are found in stock exhaust manifoldswhich results in more efficiency and power. The advantage that short tubes have isthat they are easier to mount and pass emissions inspections.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Sniper308
2nd Gear Member

Hey, GREAT information, Paleoc!

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Basically, long tube headers have more equal lengths because they are longer and easier to make more accurately. Shorty headers have short lengths, and are often different lengths because it is difficult to make all the tubes the same length. This is why longtubes make more hp....I think.

I just ordered my MAC shorty headers BTW!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:05 PM
CurtisG

Hey I just got an 05 V6 Mustang and ordered the Magnaflow dual exhaust kit (#16605), but I was wondering if someone could write a little bit about these Mac Shorty Headers I saw on v6mustangstuff.com and how hard they are to install + the ramifications. I.e. could I attempt to install this myself (not very experienced), would they pass smog, and what are the true power/sound benefits of using them? Thanks for any input
Old 12-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CurtisG

Hey I just got an 05 V6 Mustang and ordered the Magnaflow dual exhaust kit (#16605), but I was wondering if someone could write a little bit about these Mac Shorty Headers I saw on v6mustangstuff.com and how hard they are to install + the ramifications. I.e. could I attempt to install this myself (not very experienced), would they pass smog, and what are the true power/sound benefits of using them? Thanks for any input
My Mac shorties come in on Tuesday, and I will install them on Wednesday. I'll take pics and do a review/writeup on them after.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:13 AM
CurtisG

Looking forward to it, good luck on a smooth/clean install
Old 12-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CurtisG

Looking forward to it, good luck on a smooth/clean install
Thanks! I have access to a lift, so I'm hoping it wont be too bad. Does anyone know what size ratchets I need for the install?

Quick Reply: Bang-for-Buck ~ Long-Tube vs. Short-Tube MACs