Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newbie q' about CAMs

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Medicane84
1st Gear Member

Default Newbie q' about CAMs

Hey guys, I was just curious - most people on the 4.0 forum don't ever mention changing the CAMs on our stangs - I was curious to see what the reason was. Is this not a good idea - are there any manefacturers that offer anything with respect to this - exactly how much HP gains can be seen, exhaust sound changes, cost, etc etc etc

Are the Stock CAMs just fine as they are ?

Just curious, thanks
Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie q' about CAMs

Only person that has done it is Flapjack. He got the cams from SSM, which are regrinds from Crane. He has not dyno tested them yet. I have a built block and am looking into cams and heads as well, I'm waiting on Powerhouse to get me a quote.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:15 PM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

cams are a great way to add to performance, but they're not something you're gonna want to do at home... when you're getting cams, you might want to get your valvetrain done, as well as a PnP on the heads, since you've got everything apart. if you consider how low our compression is (around 9.1:1, or so, if memory serves right), you might choose to use a different sized headgasket to increase the static compression while you've got everything disassembled. alot of cars come off the line with their timing slightly off by a few degrees anyway (no assembly line is perfect, you know), so this is a great opportunity to get the timing and everything setup properly.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Medicane84
1st Gear Member

Yea This would obviously be something that you do in a professional shop, seeing as how CAMs are, oh, I don't know, kind of important lol.

So Flapjack hasn't dyno'ed it yet eh? Interesting, so really there are no $ figures floating around nor HP gains. Interesting
Old 12-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Krazer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Medicane84

Hey guys, I was just curious - most people on the 4.0 forum don't ever mention changing the CAMs on our stangs - I was curious to see what the reason was. Is this not a good idea - are there any manefacturers that offer anything with respect to this - exactly how much HP gains can be seen, exhaust sound changes, cost, etc etc etc

Are the Stock CAMs just fine as they are ?

Just curious, thanks
This is not a tyical pushrod motor cam change its more complicated (motor) jobneed special Ford tools and the knowledge on how to setup these cams on the 4.0, not to mention its around a ten hour job per Fordshop laborbook. If I remember correctly might have to lift the engine alsoto get the drivers side camsetup from the rear of the headif wanrt to go by the Fordmanual if not might be able to get away without but at your own risk this job Iwould notattemp myself..

Super Six motors( poss crane etcr gind your own to your own specs))sells the regindcams think around$500.00 plus installif you can'tdiy.Alsothere is no data out on rwhp but would guess around 15rwhp plus or minus depending on lift and duration you choose if you go have the cams regrind from a cam place. I would really liketo see dyno data on some before and after on N.A and FI but its to new. If its a good 15-20 rwhp minon FI and youDIY or get labor for around $500.00on the side might be worth it but I would only do it if I was going FI.

Exhaust sound depending on cam specs will change slightly will have that slight lobing sound.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I think one of the reasons alot of people dont have cams is the expense to install. I belive (not sure) a cam install is a little under $1000.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:43 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06stang

I think one of the reasons alot of people dont have cams is the expense to install. I belive (not sure) a cam install is a little under $1000.

Thats the price I found too posted on several sites. If you are gonna do cams, might as well do heads at the same time since you have the top end apart. Thats why I'm in a holding pattern on my car, with the engine apart....I want to see if I can swing heads, cams and possible intake port job before closing her back up. I should have more info next week, possibly this week. Not sure yet.