Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

XCharger Men - Give me your current impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:43 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default XCharger Men - Give me your current impressions

Well, after much thought and analysis, I am now leaning HEAVILY toward keeping my V6'er and supercharging it. I was playing with the idea of upgrading in 2009 to a GT, but, when you look at how much money you lose, it just really makes it hard to do. Plus, two years from now, my car will probably have less than 10,000 miles on it (it's just a fun car) so I would really take a bath.

For many reasons, the Xcharger is probably the best bet for me, including
1. I don't street race
2. I don't go to drag strips
3. High reliability of this blower type
4. Straight-forward install with minimal parts count - good for reliability
5. GREAT torque on the low end, where I'll spend almost all my time

So.... XCHARGER MEN... I know you were all happy initially, how do you feel now? Any regrets? Anything else you would consider at this time? Any final thoughts? I may make the jump in late January.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:59 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: XCharger Men - Give me your current impressions

Hi,
I'd definately go with x-charger. Turbo's are supposedly lower loss power wise but they do have lag where an S/C doesn't and Turdbo's have way way too much space hogging plumbing etc. too.
I have thought about changing the engine out for something with 24 valves that makes a decent 300+ HP stock!
I wonder why Ford didnt' at do that in the first place?
Probably because it would then be too stiff a competitor for the GT.
Of course the solution there would be to up the GT's power accordingly.
Anyway, I think S/C is the way to go IMHO. Simple, straight forward and hey, who cares if you lose 15 or so crank HP to run it.
Wolfey
Old 12-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

Hi,
I'd definately go with x-charger. Turbo's are supposedly lower loss power wise but they do have lag where an S/C doesn't and Turdbo's have way way too much space hogging plumbing etc. too.
I have thought about changing the engine out for something with 24 valves that makes a decent 300+ HP stock!
Anyway, I think S/C is the way to go IMHO. Simple, straight forward and hey, who cares if you lose 15 or so crank HP to run it.
Wolfey
Wolfey if you don't know anything about turbos then why throw out things you "supposedly" heard about them?
Your statement "lower loss power wise" makes almost no sense. They feed off exhaust, they are not belt driven like a supercharger. So there is no "taking of power to make power"
Turbo lag is a thing of the past, by 2800 rpm, I am boosting nicely.
As far as the plumbing, look at the the PH kit and get back to me.
By the way, I do think the X is a fine piece. Everything I have heard about them sounds like it is quality. The kit def. has the most OEM type finish to it, really looks good sitting there. I am anxious to see the X men get into track season and see what kind of times they post.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:41 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

You say what I said makes no sense where power losses go.
Then you say what it means in different words.....??
Anyway, I know plenty about turdbo's.
Like I said, they're a mess compared to x-chargers and there IS a bit of lag even in todays so called non-lagging turd-bo's.
It makes me laugh when people say turbo's are free energy. They aren't. It takes HP to push those exhaust gasses through the turbine and out the tail.
No matter how one boosts HP which by the way means beans,,,it's torque that matters, not HP as HP is simply a mathimaticaly based figure,,,there IS a trade off!
If you're happy with a turbo, good for you. That's all that matters right?
You asked for others opinions. I gave you mine.
If you dont' like it, too bad. Don't ask for opinions if you dont' want to hear them.
Have fun.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:47 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

Like I said, they're a mess compared to x-chargers and there IS a bit of lag even in todays so called non-lagging turd-bo's.
It makes me laugh when people say turbo's are free energy. They aren't. It takes HP to push those exhaust gasses through the turbine and out the tail.
No matter how one boosts HP which by the way means beans,,,it's torque that matters, not HP as HP is simply a mathimaticaly based figure,,,there IS a trade off!
If you dont' like it, too bad. Don't ask for opinions if you dont' want to hear them.
Have fun.
Have you actually been in a Powerhouse Turbo'ed V6????? I have also driven the MRT Cherry 6T6 Twin Turbo.... Neither car had any lag... period...
Old 12-27-2006, 06:45 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

Not to hijack, but I think it's better than starting another post.......

Like LX200, I'm planning on going F/I within the next 2 months. I do a lot of highway driving (about 90% of my driving is on the highway), and I'm also looking to start going to thestrip on weekends as my new "hobby." I'm torn between getting an X-charger or PH turbo. Since I go to medschool in Philly, I can make the 5hr drive to PH to get the turbo and have it installed, which is the major determining factor for me (that is, having it installed). My hold up is which would be better for me? Yes, I do a TON of highway driving, but now that I'll be on hospital rotations, I'm going to be doing my share of city driving too. I'm wondering what your opinions are? Using my car for what I use it for, what do you think would be better, turbo or s/c???
Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Re: Mr. Hijacker ;-), why bother boosting your V6 at all? I mean you're using it primarily for work right?
One thing boosting does is wear an engine out a lot faster than otherwise. Once you have one of those boosting gizmo's on board, you won't be able to keep your foot out of it!
I've torn down and rebuilt enough burned up turbo'd engines to know.
Anyway, it's your money and I'm sure you'll enjoy the boost regardless.

For me, for all that money and time, I'd rather install a hopped up V6 or small bock V8 that is normally asperated and built for the abuse and keep it clean lean and mean!
I dont' like Ford's modular V8's. 90 degree angle is way out of line and just plain unnecessary IMO and for what it is, it's output sucks anyway.

Scrmng, yeah so what. My primary complaintsare too much plumbing, waste heat, lubrication problems down the road and all the other potential hazards wear and tear turbo's cause. Yes, they are fun and a good way to increase power output but what a mess! Only my opinion. Take it or leave it pal.
Sorry you got upset. I hope you enjoy your new toy's. That's what they are for after all eh?
Just remember, added Horse Power Costs Money both now and down the road.
One other thing man. You started out saying you are considering purchasing a Super Charger....
Why then all the arguing about Turbo's?
Do you know the difference between a super charger and a turbo?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:08 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Re: Mr. Hijacker ;-), why bother boosting your V6 at all? I mean you're using it primarily for work right?
One thing boosting does is wear an engine out a lot faster than otherwise. Once you have one of those boosting gizmo's on board, you won't be able to keep your foot out of it!
I've torn down and rebuilt enough burned up turbo'd engines to know.
Anyway, it's your money and I'm sure you'll enjoy the boost regardless.

For me, for all that money and time, I'd rather install a hopped up V6 or small bock V8 that is normally asperated and built for the abuse and keep it clean lean and mean!
I dont' like Ford's modular V8's. 90 degree angle is way out of line and just plain unnecessary IMO and for what it is, it's output sucks anyway.

Scrmng, yeah so what. My primary complaintsare too much plumbing, waste heat, lubrication problems down the road and all the other potential hazards wear and tear turbo's cause. Yes, they are fun and a good way to increase power output but what a mess! Only my opinion. Take it or leave it pal.
Sorry you got upset. I hope you enjoy your new toy's. That's what they are for after all eh?
Just remember, added Horse Power Costs Money both now and down the road.
One other thing man. You started out saying you are considering purchasing a Super Charger....
Why then all the arguing about Turbo's?
Do you know the difference between a super charger and a turbo?
If boosting is sooooo destructive then you would never a car from the factory with a supercharger or a turbo... How can a car manufacturer offer a 100,000 mile warranty on a boosted car???

you've stated your opinion... now go troll somewhere else... LOL!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:31 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckman

Hi,
Wolfey
Wolfey if you don't know anything about turbos then why throw out things you "supposedly" heard about them?
Your statement "lower loss power wise" makes almost no sense. They feed off exhaust, they are not belt driven like a supercharger. So there is no "taking of power to make power"
Turbo lag is a thing of the past, by 2800 rpm, I am boosting nicely.
As far as the plumbing, look at the the PH kit and get back to me.
By the way, I do think the X is a fine piece. Everything I have heard about them sounds like it is quality. The kit def. has the most OEM type finish to it, really looks good sitting there. I am anxious to see the X men get into track season and see what kind of times they post.
LOL, damn man you beat me to it. But yea, +1 on everything you said dude.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Have fun.
Well if you want a TQ monster, the Turbo is the way to go IMO, followed by the X. I've broken the 450rwtq marker and my tune isn't even finished yet on the new setup.

Quick Reply: XCharger Men - Give me your current impressions