Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

underdrive pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:33 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: underdrive pulley

ORIGINAL: enorym

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

I read that article in 5.0, don't agree with all of it. I've seen different results in gains from other more reputable tuners.

Thats true...thats why I posted this! I just want everyone to know...what screeming says might be true for him there are way diffrent variables on his car versus any of ours. Some people might have an automatic, manual, bigger tires, smaller tires. ETC ETC. All display diffrently. In this case it was a manual, and was completely stock, and showed a gain. Thats why I posted it. Im tired of having to defend anything I say vs him, he may have done alot for the community but he's not always right and neither am I. BUT again I held up my end and have proof. If I still lived in Detroit Im sure id probly be friends with the guy and go to meets. It just pisses me off that im always in defence to everything I say aginst him. I must say Im proud of him in a sence that he made it into a magizine because he is a v6 owner and he has his car tuned well I must admit. But damn man, what I say is from experiance not opinion.
You're right... you are probably a great guy personally... I'm sure we could hang out and kick back a couple of colds ones... (I used to live in the Detroit area... and I worked in a very bad part of Detroit... I'm talking Detroit... not the suburbs..)

The problem is you are trying to apply your experience with OTHER cars to our 4.0L.... but things are much different with the 4.0L.... just like the guys that say no way can you get 10RWHP from just a muffler swap.... but yet time and time again the dyno shows it...

The fact is... I have ACTUAL experience with the ASP pulley... Not just UD's in general... I'm talking that exact pulley for our 4.0L's... That's the difference...
Old 01-05-2007, 03:42 PM
enorym
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

I have an artical in the latest mustang 5.0 magazine that says its a 20% increase in power. Ill scan it so you can have a crap about it. BTW its a 86 inch belt.
Once again you don't have a clue... it does not say 20% increase in power! It's say's it slows down your accessories by 25%. What the article actually says is and I quote "So, call the pulley a 10hp gain." Ok... so they were at 194RWHP and went to 204RWHP... that is 10/194 = 5% not 20%... so they got a 5% or 10RWHP gain... ok a bit more than others have shown... but lets look at their actual CLAIM... This is DIRECTLY from the ASP website!

They are claiming 16 RWHP... but 5.0 only got 10.... Doug got 6.... ???? Even 10 is almost 40% below the advertised claim!

I found a bit bigger view of the dyno sheet: http://www.lmperformance.com/5925/87.html Click on the sheet for the larger view...

What you will find is they did the base line pull and the pulley run were 5.5 hours apart... Did they take the car off the dyno? Did the weather change? At a bare minimum they should have been using SAE correction! While my testing has never been perfect (mainly because I'm paying out of my own pocket to test OTHER peoples products) I know enough to make sure things are SAE corrected... yet they sheet clearly states STD...

Once again, you have shown you are completely clueless and are in dire need of the "Tech Challenged" avatar...

I beg to differthat I am techchallanged. I think that you should pick up some tools and stop paying out of your pocketbut Ill leave it at that enough with the querky insults.I want to be nice to you but every time you talk you say lol at the end of your sentances. And its annoying lol. NO but seriously. I posted it it says what I said it said its in a reprateable magizine and you still deny it happend. I think you just cant stand that I know alot, and am a mechanic by heart and trade and run a radiator business. Im here to help other mustang owners not fight with them, you have your own opinion I have mine.

My opinion is that AFTERMARKET COMPANYS MAKE AFTERMARKET PARTS FOR IMPROVEMENTS. Not to do the same job the OEM part did. They post thier results depending on thier conditions. Logic at this point is not flawed its just altered depending on variables I agree. Im just tired of having to defend aftermarket bolt ons aginst you. What other mods have you done? I see supercharger, bmr control arms, wheels, tires, then the rest body clading not said with insult to injury, and NOS, and your running very impressive times to say the least. Did I miss any mods? I seriously want to know the rest of your mod list. Ive seen your dyno sheets Ive seen you in the magizine and thought that it was impressive that you did that "thumbs up" but man dont be soo full of youself, you dont know me but im sure if you did you would have a totaly diffrent opinion on what I say and how I say it. Again I'll refrase what ive said in the past posts in arguments with you and be more professional about it...I dont care for your body cladding, and apperance modifications, but mechanicly speaking your car is impressive and im glad to see someone make it that far to show people that it is possible with a 4.0l.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:57 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

I beg to differ that I am tech challanged. I think that you should pick up some tools and stop paying out of your pocket but Ill leave it at that enough with the querky insults. I want to be nice to you but every time you talk you say lol at the end of your sentances. And its annoying lol. NO but seriously. I posted it it says what I said it said its in a reprateable magizine and you still deny it happend. I think you just cant stand that I know alot, and am a mechanic by hart and trade and run a radiator business. Im here to help other mustang owners not fight with them, you have your own opinion I have mine.

My opinion is that AFTERMARKET COMPANYS MAKE AFTERMARKET PARTS FOR IMPROVEMENTS. Not to do the same job the OEM part did. They post thier results depending on thier conditions. Logic at this point is not flawed its just altered depending on variables I agree. Im just tired of having to defend aftermarket bolt ons aginst you. What other mods have you done? I see supercharger, bmr control arms, wheels, tires, then the rest body clading not said with insult to injury, and NOS, and your running very impressive times to say the least. Did I miss any mods? I seriously want to know the rest of your mod list. Ive seen your dyno sheets Ive seen you in the magizine and thought that it was impressive that you did that "thumbs up" but man dont be soo full of youself, you dont know me but im sure if you did you would have a totaly diffrent opinion on what I say and how I say it. Again I'll refrase what ive said in the past posts in arguments with you and be more professional about it...I dont care for your body cladding, and apperance modifications, but mechanicly speaking your car is impressive and im glad to see someone make it that far to show people that it is possible with a 4.0l.
WTF are you talking about? I didn't deny anything... I quoted the magazine... They got 10RWHP... I pointed out that 10RWHP on a 194RWHP car is a 5% increase... YOU said the the article said 20% increase in power... I don't deny that gains can be had with the pulley... But I do say the claims are greatly exaggerated! Aftermarket companies make parts to make money... period... if they happen to be better than OEM... that's a bonus... the fact is some are worse than OEM or provide no benefit...

And why the heck would I wrench on my own car when I have some of the best Mustang mechanics in the country... not to mention Scott Hoag, on my "team"... Scott has forgotten more about Mustangs than you'll ever hope to know...
Old 01-05-2007, 04:16 PM
merlinsrealm
3rd Gear Member

I have an artical in the latest mustang 5.0 magazine that says its a 20% increase in power. Ill scan it so you can have a crap about it. BTW its a 86 inch belt.
Once again you don't have a clue... it does not say 20% increase in power! It's say's it slows down your accessories by 25%. What the article actually says is and I quote "So, call the pulley a 10hp gain." Ok... so they were at 194RWHP and went to 204RWHP... that is 10/194 = 5% not 20%... so they got a 5% or 10RWHP gain... ok a bit more than others have shown... but lets look at their actual CLAIM... This is DIRECTLY from the ASP website!

They are claiming 16 RWHP... but 5.0 only got 10.... Doug got 6.... ???? Even 10 is almost 40% below the advertised claim!

I found a bit bigger view of the dyno sheet: http://www.lmperformance.com/5925/87.html Click on the sheet for the larger view...

What you will find is they did the base line pull and the pulley run were 5.5 hours apart... Did they take the car off the dyno? Did the weather change? At a bare minimum they should have been using SAE correction! While my testing has never been perfect (mainly because I'm paying out of my own pocket to test OTHER peoples products) I know enough to make sure things are SAE corrected... yet they sheet clearly states STD...

20%??? Now that would be nice......42 more flywheel horse from a 200.00 bolt-on.........

Wahooo!!!!! LOL!

Besides, most of what I have been seeing here is talk about HP. The only real difference would be at the track......At least that is my experience with using ASP pullies on LS1's.......Apples to oranges but same concept. Minimal HP gains, but on the track was .20 and 1-2 MPH.......

If I saw.10 and 1 mph gain consistently with the 4.0, I would be pleased...........

Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Ronaele05
1st Gear Member

i don't wanna get in the middle of an argument. But what most people are forgetting is that the numbers claim gains of up to 16.2 hp. That doesn't mean that with a stock car you will gain 16.2 that means in my opinion with all the performance parts you can throw on before the underdive pulley. that after you install the UD pulley you will get that signifigant gain. I mean like a CAI, Headers, Exhaust, Cams, Nitrous, Tuner....etc.etc.etc Then with all said parts you will see the optimum gain of 16.2 hp. In my opinion i've always taken any manufacturer hp gains to that degree.

NOW QUIT FIGHTING. i may not be right but we don't need to mustang owners at each other's throat over a damn manufacturer's estimated gains.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: merlinsrealm

20%??? Now that would be nice......42 more flywheel horse from a 200.00 bolt-on.........

Wahooo!!!!! LOL!

Besides, most of what I have been seeing here is talk about HP. The only real difference would be at the track......At least that is my experience with using ASP pullies on LS1's.......Apples to oranges but same concept. Minimal HP gains, but on the track was .20 and 1-2 MPH.......

If I saw.10 and 1 mph gain consistently with the 4.0, I would be pleased...........

The thing with the crank pulley on the 4.0L is it is actually fairly small already... IF you got a 10RWHP that would equate to about .1 off your ET...
Old 01-05-2007, 05:03 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ronaele05

i don't wanna get in the middle of an argument. But what most people are forgetting is that the numbers claim gains of up to 16.2 hp. That doesn't mean that with a stock car you will gain 16.2 that means in my opinion with all the performance parts you can throw on before the underdive pulley. that after you install the UD pulley you will get that signifigant gain. I mean like a CAI, Headers, Exhaust, Cams, Nitrous, Tuner....etc.etc.etc Then with all said parts you will see the optimum gain of 16.2 hp. In my opinion i've always taken any manufacturer hp gains to that degree.

NOW QUIT FIGHTING. i may not be right but we don't need to mustang owners at each other's throat over a damn manufacturer's estimated gains.
I'm not FIGHTING about gains or claims... Go back and re-read enorym's post, please... He stated and I quote:

"I have an artical in the latest mustang 5.0 magazine that says its a 20% increase in power."

The FACT is the article DID NOT say 20%.... It said 10RWHP gain... That is not 20%... Enorym comes in here and posts this stuff and then gets mad when I correct him..
Old 01-05-2007, 05:07 PM
enorym
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

I read that article in 5.0, don't agree with all of it. I've seen different results in gains from other more reputable tuners.

Thats true...thats why I posted this! I just want everyone to know...what screeming says might be true for him there are way diffrent variables on his car versus any of ours. Some people might have an automatic, manual, bigger tires, smaller tires. ETC ETC. All display diffrently. In this case it was a manual, and was completely stock, and showed a gain. Thats why I posted it. Im tired of having to defend anything I say vs him, he may have done alot for the community but he's not always right and neither am I. BUT again I held up my end and have proof. If I still lived in Detroit Im sure id probly be friends with the guy and go to meets. It just pisses me off that im always in defence to everything I say aginst him. I must say Im proud of him in a sence that he made it into a magizine because he is a v6 owner and he has his car tuned well I must admit. But damn man, what I say is from experiance not opinion.
You're right... you are probably a great guy personally... I'm sure we could hang out and kick back a couple of colds ones... (I used to live in the Detroit area... and I worked in a very bad part of Detroit... I'm talking Detroit... not the suburbs..)

The problem is you are trying to apply your experience with OTHER cars to our 4.0L.... but things are much different with the 4.0L.... just like the guys that say no way can you get 10RWHP from just a muffler swap.... but yet time and time again the dyno shows it...

The fact is... I have ACTUAL experience with the ASP pulley... Not just UD's in general... I'm talking that exact pulley for our 4.0L's... That's the difference...
heh, when you talk about Milan in your other posts it brings back memorys I've been away from there for about 3 years now. I lived near plymouth and telegraph road on the detroit side, and worked at the FMCC building which is the building right next to WHQ "Ford World Head Quarters" I did live in the burbs for a bit out in the Plymouth/Canton area that place blows. I do miss the white castles hahaha.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Ronaele05
1st Gear Member

i wasnt directing that at you Scrming. i was making a statement that by looking at the post it is an up for debate topic that both sides feel strongly about. I was also pointing out that the manufacturer obviously wants to sell their product so they make outlandish claims that may be possible on a fully tuned car with items not mentioned by said manufacturer
Old 01-05-2007, 05:14 PM
enorym
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ronaele05

I'm not FIGHTING about gains or claims... Go back and re-read enorym's post, please... He stated and I quote:

"I have an artical in the latest mustang 5.0 magazine that says its a 20% increase in power."

The FACT is the article DID NOT say 20%.... It said 10RWHP gain... That is not 20%... Enorym comes in here and posts this stuff and then gets mad when I correct him..
Ok I did say 20% I ment 20hp gain WOOPS!....Sorry. At the end it says 20hp with the intake. My bad. be more professional in here man. Im not fighting you anymore. REGARDLESS IF IM WRONG OR RIGHT. I just want to have my say and yeah I get mad look at the way you talk to me or anyone else you talk to on here that seems not to like you. hahah, I was born and raised there man people are alot more kind there than in california dont play all hard.

Quick Reply: underdrive pulley