Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger and boost questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:35 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: X-Charger and boost questions

I'm not touching this one again. We've been over the schematics so many times.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:58 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

i just don't understand why you'd buy a v-6 and supercharge it. why not just buy the GT, which is N/A, and built from the factory to handle 300hp and 320 tq? and with full factory warranty! these days you can buy a GT OTD for $25-$26k, which is less than you'd pay for a V6 + s/c + install + the parts you need to go with it, like LSD, etc.

seriously...trade in your car for a GT, and happy...no point in supercharging a v6 when you can get a n/a v8 with just as much power in stock form...and with full warranty!!!

Because we can and want to.
uh...ok then. you do that. but seriously, don't you think if you care that much about performance you would've been better off buying a GT and supercharging it??? tons more power, better times, more fun, and not much more money. i don't see why you'd go the v6 route...v6's are for better gas, lower cost, lower insurance, and looks only...certainly not performance. anyone that performance minded that they'd shell out $5k for a s/c should've just gotten a GT...

but to each his own.

edit: i understand rygen and scrming, and why they are doing what they are, but for the rest of you...unless it's the thrill of making a v6 super fast or having a sleeper car, it's a waste of time and money. you're always better off starting with the best platform, and going from there. you are only putting yourself at a disadvantage starting with the v6. i mean, imagine what rygen or scrming could have done with a v8....i mean wow, now THAT would be even more impressive, i'm sure. we'd be seeing 600-700hp...instead we're seeing them at 300-400. *sigh* oh well, whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I like the six, like the cast iron block it comes with. And really like the new numbers I'm getting out of it. Blown V8's will not be an issue for my car. I'm hunting Vettes, low 11 second cars and high 10 second cars next season.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

i just don't understand why you'd buy a v-6 and supercharge it. why not just buy the GT, which is N/A, and built from the factory to handle 300hp and 320 tq? and with full factory warranty! these days you can buy a GT OTD for $25-$26k, which is less than you'd pay for a V6 + s/c + install + the parts you need to go with it, like LSD, etc.

seriously...trade in your car for a GT, and happy...no point in supercharging a v6 when you can get a n/a v8 with just as much power in stock form...and with full warranty!!!
The V6 is lighter of the front end (better for handling)
Has more room around it in the engine bay if you do your own work (I happen to)
Looks better overall imho (less of the "installed with a showhorn) look)
Has a solid reliability reputation

Includes the look ofdismay on the face of aV8 driver when they get beaten by "just a six"

In addition, my car has a Detroit Truetrac, even if I'd bought a GT the Ford part would have been yanked in favor of the Truetrac, so no savings there

If Carrol Shelby see's a point in supercharging the 4.0L V6 (which he clearly does with the CS6) I figure we're in good company. Not to be rude, but I value his opinion a wee bit more that yours.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:29 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

This isn't rocket science at all.

1. Many folks like working on cars. The V6 with supercharger is less expensive than a GT with supercharger. Not everybody is out to spend maximum dollars. Buy a GT and, wow, you have a GT just like 100,000 other GT owners. Nothing special, nothing different, just more of the same. I've been to car shows where people stroll by all the GT (yawning) and then stop at a supercharged or turboed 6'er and really gloat over it.

2. Many people bought their cars when GT's were far more expensive. I purchased my leftover '05 vert LOADED for $24,000. At the time I bought, the best deal I could get on a GT vert with LESS options was about $32,000. So I am $8000 ahead with V6. Now I add a supercharger for $3600, and install it myself, and add $1000 of other stuff, and I end up with a car that will spank a GT, at a total cost of $28,600. That's $3,400 less than a SLOWER GT.

3. If you ALREADY have a V6, just saying "sell it and get a GT" totally misses the point that ANYBODY selling an '05-06 Mustang will take a bath selling it used or a TOTAL bath trading it. If you bought your sixer for $22000, and you pay it off, and now you go to sell it or trade it, you will be lucky to get $15000. So you do that, and now you go to get your GT for $26,000..... bingo, you just put out $11,000 more bucks. So why WOULDN'T you put out $4000 and supercharge it and be $7000 ahead?

4. If you do a power adder like the XCharger, I STILL get better gas mileage for normal driving, and I still get lower insurance costs. The power is there when I want it, and the boost is dumped when I don't want it. Best of BOTH worlds.

Having said all that, if I was buying TODAY, I might give more consideration to a GT, but I am NOT buying today. And I still might get the sixer for the fun of modding the car myself, and having something novel.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Thanks to eveyone so far for keeping the discussion civilized in response to imyy4u (who was also respectful in his posts). The lack of flaming really speaks well of the 4.0L V6 community...
Old 01-18-2007, 03:12 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Rygen... how many miles on your car since you turboed... and how many total miles with any type of FI ??
Old 01-18-2007, 03:24 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

Rygen... how many miles on your car since you turboed... and how many total miles with any type of FI ??
Hmmm, I think I was on nitrous and bolt ons to 10K, then Turbo'd to 30ish K.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:27 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Yeah well I think he's a total *** monkey! J/K LOL! being ironic..
ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

Thanks to eveyone so far for keeping the discussion civilized in response to imyy4u (who was also respectful in his posts). The lack of flaming really speaks well of the 4.0L V6 community...
Old 01-18-2007, 03:32 PM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

I like the six, like the cast iron block it comes with. And really like the new numbers I'm getting out of it. Blown V8's will not be an issue for my car. I'm hunting Vettes, low 11 second cars and high 10 second cars next season.
how much does it cost to do that?

i've got an old beater 3.8 that i could work on.

Quick Reply: X-Charger and boost questions