Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger and boost questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Ronaele05
1st Gear Member

Default X-Charger and boost questions

does anyone know where i can find the price or any info for that matter on the X-Charger. and will all this conversation abou boostin the engines. This is all done with stock internals? No cams, heads, pistons, or anything. Will our motors last like this?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: X-Charger and boost questions

http://explorerexpresscom.nationprot...hp?cPath=86_87

It seems the consensus is that our stock shortblock is fairly strong. there are more than a handful of people making over 300rwhp on the stock block and alot of them are driving the car daily, so as far as we know it's safe. There has been a bit of disagreement from some people which makes me uneasy about boosting because it was a few ford techs who said they would worry about any 4.0 over 300whp (mainly because of the pistons). That is part of the reason the x is great tho..it doesn't need to make 300rwhp to perform wonderfully. If you are going with the x-charger i wouldn't worry. The systems they offer seem to be very safe judging from the power levels and the IAT's. I personally am getting worried about how long our motors will last at over 300whp on a daily driven car (this is my only car) so if i go forced induction it will be with the x or if another turbo system comes out for a bit cheaper, probably turbo at about 6.5-7 psi. There are alot on here that will disagree with me tho and say it is all in the tune, which is true, but then again the more power you make, the more precise the tune is going to have to be to keep it safe. really, i would say the motor will be totally fine around 300rwhp or lower with a good tune, so just make sure you don't skimp on the details.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:00 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

The gentleman above is correct on some points.
However, it has been my experience that x-charging a stock engine is a coin toss.
Just remember, the more power your engine makes, the hotter it gets, the faster the engine oil gets dirty and it gets dirtier too.
The conn' rods are made to withstand quite a bit of punnishment over what the engine is tuned for.
The pistons however are only stock pistons as with the rest of the stock parts.
I've overhauled stock engines that were aftermarket x-charged over the years.
I've seen scored cylinders, cracked pistons, pistons with holes burned through them, bent conn' rods and so on.
6 to 7 PSI boost is not necessarily safe but it is less brutal on a stock engine than higher pressures are for sure.
In any case, if you use your x-charger a lot, expect pre-mature engine wear. I didn't say engine failure, it's just going to wear down faster/sooner than otherwise.
That's keeping in mind that you change your oil regularly.
If you do x-charge it, change the oil every time it starts to get dirty. Keep it squeeky (punn) clean and this will help a great deal.
I mean with a stock engine it is very important to keep up with the regularly scheduled maintanance.
With a modified / blown engine, it's imperative!
If I were you, I'd make sure I always have the money stashed away to pay for a new engine,,,just in case!
There are blown V6's out there running higher than normal boost levels. They are getting well more than 300 RWHP with turbo's and x-chargers.
I'm not against boosting an engine's performance. Just remember Horst Power Costs Money both now and down the road! That's the rule of thumb to always keep in mind.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Ronaele05
1st Gear Member

thanx so much. I just found my ultimate MOD. I will be doing this im just unsure when. Kinda lacking the $4500 and has anyone actually installed this item themselves. I am descent with my hand and im going to school for mechanics so i have a basic understanding of the way to do things.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:05 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

a few of us have installed them ourselfs i actually helped the owner of EE (i was the test mule) and i know 2 others that have done it themselfs in about 5-7 hours
Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

I dunno too much about the xcharger other than it sounds mean and one day i want to try it but i daily drive my car and it has been boosted for quite a while no problems as of yet.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:15 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

i think the xcharger is awesome, but i am just more and more skeptical about it being safe with the what...9 lb pulleys a few of you owners are running now without intercooling?! we get bad head soak already!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Ronaele05
1st Gear Member

ok im dumb, what do you mean by heat soak?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:27 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ronaele05

ok im dumb, what do you mean by heat soak?
heat soak is after running the engine hard...or actually just running it, the IAT's go up because the air under the hood gets real hot and such. This can start to drain power over time and with a boosted application, high IAT's (intake air temperatures) are dangerous as it can cause knocking/detonation. knocking on an n/a motor isn't good but it isn't instant death to the motor. on a forced induction engine it can get REAL bad. More boost=more heat and an intercooler cools the charge air or pressurized air. Cooling the air like this can drop the temperatures alot and keep it safe. It will actually add power too because when the air is cold it is more compressed (denser) so when it is ignited with the fuel, it expands more which creates more power. without one most of the time, you don't want to run much boost usually over like 6-7psi, but somehow (i have yet to udnerstand it) a few xcharger owners were running 9-10 psi pulleys without any form of cooling [&:]. Now i think Nav is using meth injection, but afixer, aren't you running a 2.8? isn't that like 10 psi on an m90....you aren't running any kind of injection are you?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Wolfey2K: You do know X-Charger is a specific brand name, right? not a generic abbreviation for supercharging. There's only about 1/2 a dozen in Mustangs so far (none of which have seen a failure of any sort to date as far as I know), so unless you've worked on a ton of the previous gen 4.0L truck X-Chargers, your comments seem a little unlikely.

As for additional wear, you're correct that's a factor in ANY high performance build. Making more power, whether it's via turbo, supercharger, nitrous whatever, will always stress an engine more than the same engine at a lower power output.

Quick Reply: X-Charger and boost questions