Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help me decide on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Brewster

Default Help me decide on exhaust

I think I am getting close to decision on exhaust. I want performance/gas mileage improvement if possible, and louder than stock. But not too loud, and dont want highway crusing drone at around 2000 to 2500 rpm.

Probably not duals, not that much gain from what I am seeing on this forum.

Here is what I think I am seeing from studying posts on this forum

Singles

Flowmaster AT- possible drone, pretty loud. Might be good for performance and gas mileage.
Good appearance

MRT - good for performance, but too loud for me

Borla - dont like 4" tip, too big of tipfor me

Ford Racing, same as Borla with smaller tip - not too loud. Good appearance

Magnaflow - might be ricey, good appearance

JBA - good sound, not too loud, good performance. I am not sure if I like the long tip though. Would appreciate pictures from side and back.

So, I am narrowed down to probably Ford Racing, Flowmaster AT, Magnaflow and JBA.

I think JBA might be best compromise for balance of moderate sound and good performance. Flowmaster AT good, but loud. Ford Racing probably good, but are they real loud ?

Would the HP gains be about the same for JBA, Flowmaster, Magnaflow and Ford Racing ?

Which is quietest, which is loudest ?

I am guessing from quietest to loudest - JBA, Ford Racing, Magnaflow, Flowmaster AT.

I am guessing performance is about the same. Are any of these significantly better or worse than the others ?

Leaning towards JBA, but that long tip has me concerned. Does it extend too far out the back ?

Any pictures of the JBA from side and back appreciated.

Any input appreciated !!!

Old 01-17-2007, 01:33 AM
blkv6
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Help me decide on exhaust

ORIGINAL: Brewster

I think I am getting close to decision on exhaust. I want performance/gas mileage improvement if possible, and louder than stock. But not too loud, and dont want highway crusing drone at around 2000 to 2500 rpm.

Probably not duals, not that much gain from what I am seeing on this forum.

Here is what I think I am seeing from studying posts on this forum

Singles

Flowmaster AT- possible drone, pretty loud. Might be good for performance and gas mileage.
Good appearance

MRT - good for performance, but too loud for me

Borla - dont like 4" tip, too big of tipfor me

Ford Racing, same as Borla with smaller tip - not too loud. Good appearance

Magnaflow - might be ricey, good appearance

JBA - good sound, not too loud, good performance. I am not sure if I like the long tip though. Would appreciate pictures from side and back.

So, I am narrowed down to probably Ford Racing, Flowmaster AT, Magnaflow and JBA.

I think JBA might be best compromise for balance of moderate sound and good performance. Flowmaster AT good, but loud. Ford Racing probably good, but are they real loud ?

Would the HP gains be about the same for JBA, Flowmaster, Magnaflow and Ford Racing ?

Which is quietest, which is loudest ?

I am guessing from quietest to loudest - JBA, Ford Racing, Magnaflow, Flowmaster AT.

I am guessing performance is about the same. Are any of these significantly better or worse than the others ?

Leaning towards JBA, but that long tip has me concerned. Does it extend too far out the back ?

Any pictures of the JBA from side and back appreciated.

Any input appreciated !!!

flowmaster doesnt have that much drone. i have a friend from school with dual flows on a 94 gt and its louder but not too loud. i deffinetly recomend them
Old 01-17-2007, 02:08 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

I have a single Flowmaster Super 40 and I'm pretty happy. At first, there was a drone but after driving it for about two months... it is totally gone (maybe I'm just getting use to it, lol). It sounds great and definitely better than stock. As far as gas mileage, I'm getting 19city/27hi.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:08 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Can't really speak about the others, but I just put my Flowmaster AT single pipe on yesterday, and it's definitely a bit on the loud side, but it's certainly not unbearable. I noticed as I was driving around today, more people were taking notice of my Mustang than usual, most likely thanks to the Flowmaster, but really, that's what it's all about. A loud exhaust gets you more attention, and who doesn't like people checking out their Mustang as they cruise by? As for drone, there does seem to be a little bit around 2500, but personally I don't find it that annoying. With the windows up, the Flowmaster doesn't make it so loud that you can't talk to the person beside you or anything like that (which is a complaint I've heard about a few other aftermarket exhausts). While I'm crusing along at a constant RPM (usually lower than 2500, but still constant) there's very little cabin noise with the windows up. I don't think I've even had to adjust the volume on my radio. You can still hear a bit of a soft rumble coming from it, but I don't find it intrudes on driving comfort at all. If anything, it's nice to hear some noise coming from it. You paid for it, why should only people outside get to hear it, right? And when you walk on it, the Flowmaster responds and it's definitely a fun noise to hear.

The best thing about the Flowmaster AT in my opinion is the type of sound it makes. It's loud but not too loud, and the rough, grumbly sound you get out of it fits the muscle car look just perfectly.

For appearance, I also didn't really like the big huge tips sticking out of the back which was another plus for the Flowmaster. The pipe is very nice, a 3.5" rolled-edge chrome tip (although the muffler is just flat black, which some people don't like) and it just sticks out past the rear cutout by like an inch, or maybe an inch an a half. It's showy, but it's not like one of the big *** tips sticking out past the bumper by 4 inches. And remember, for the other mufflers, if you buy something you like the sound/HP-gain but don't like the looks of, you can always buy a replacement tip and get it put on just to clean up the visual and get exactly what you like.

As far as HP gain, Flowmaster is (apparently) pretty crappy. Maybe 1-2 HP at best. If I was looking for a boost in RWHP more than anything, Flowmaster wouldn't be the way to go. It's main high points as far as I'm concerned are the sound and the look.

Everybody has their different opinions about what they like for an exhaust and what they don't, but for me personally, I'm completely, 100% happy with my Flowmaster AT and how it sounds/looks (keeping in mind that I didn't at all care about HP gain, which may or may not affect your opinion.)

As for the other mufflers, I didn't look at the JBA and Ford Racing mufflers, but the main thing that kept me away from the Magnaflow was the sound and how it would or would not fit my opinion of how a Mustang should sound. After listening to all the Magnaflow sound clips I could find (which may or may not have justified the actual sound), I decided that the sound was a bit hollow and weak sounding and simply wasn't going to impress me on those grounds.

But in all fairness, the Flowmaster sounds much better and more full-bodied in person than it does in any of the video clips, so the Magnaflow might be the same case in that regard.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:53 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I like duals on a muscle car. GT take offs from Saleen is a good choice, sounds great and good price.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:09 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

I was going to work one day and a guy pulled up beside me in his six. Hehad a jba on his it sounded pretty good. It did not sound real loud but it was noticeable.