Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Zex Nitrous questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:09 PM
ponyskunk06
1st Gear Member

Default Zex Nitrous questions

Ok i have a couple of questions and i appreciate any informed answers.
1. activation of the system specifically the zex system does it have the wide open throttle sensor or is it one switch to arm it and anoither to acually apply it.
2. another if it does have the wot sensor is that just a saftey measure where by it has to be above a certain rpm before you can use it and you still have to arm and activate it manually
3. I have heard you absoluty must use 92 oct gas with nitrous is this true even though ford recommend about 87 oct and i has been shown that our mustang get the best performace out of 87
basically what im asking for is if anyone have a detail install and rundown of the zex nitrous system i would acppreciate it very muct thank you guys alot i know im very clueless on the whole nitrous issue

Old 01-23-2007, 05:38 PM
ponyskunk06
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Zex Nitrous questions

one more question if i get a tune which adjusts the spark of the spark plugs do i still need to get ones which run colder?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:51 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Zex Nitrous questions

I'll take a shot...

1) The basic Zex kit includes an "arming" switch and an electronic WOT switch. The arming switch basically turns the system on. For the electronic WOT switch you splice a wire from the Zex control unit into a wire coming off your Throttle Body... The wire off the throttle body, is for the Throttle Position Sensor. Basically you "train" the Zex control unit to activate or spray when it sees a voltage from the TPS the coralates to WOT... BTW, our car are WOT at 82% pedal travel! So with the Zex control unit properly train, when you have the system on and you go wide open (about 82% pedal) the system will activate the solenoids.....

2) The WOT switch tells the control unit that the car is wide open and will spray, if the system is "armed" (turned on). It DOES NOT take RPM into account. For that you would need to add a "window" switch. It will work in conjunction with the arming switch and the WOT switch... so now you have 3 things that must happen in order to spray:
A) - System "armed"
B) - Car wide open
C) - RPMs in a given range

I highly recommend you add the window switch... you do not want to spray at to low of an RPM... trust me... I know... LOL!

3) Yes, when you spray you want a high octane gas... With 75HP shot you can run stock timing... for the 100HP shot you need to pull 2 degrees of timing..

4) Personally I think the stock plugs are just fine for the 75 and 100HP shot... I never had an issue...

One last thing... I would definitely look at gettting a custom dyno tune for your N20 setup... at the very least get it on the dyno and check your A/F to make sure you're not running lean when you spray...

hth...