Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

wtf powerhouse turbo up in price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: wtf powerhouse turbo up in price?

well you guys figure they have to be charging big money for this stuff...i mean how big of a market is there for an item like this....not a big one at all as you can guess especially if the company mainly does mustangs
Old 01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I don't know if that's true that you can't beat the performance. Dollar for dollar I think there is a lot that can be done to an X-Charged engine to equal a turbo motor; heads, cams, stroke/bore, etc..
I might be wrong but for the price difference you can do a lot of neat stuff and really improve the performance. I'm not trying to start a turbo vs. SC thing here because that's been done to death, just speculating.
ORIGINAL: fazm

ya they gotta make money man. im still going to be getting it, you cant beat the performance of one
Old 01-26-2007, 06:07 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beaustang

I don't know if that's true that you can't beat the performance. Dollar for dollar I think there is a lot that can be done to an X-Charged engine to equal a turbo motor; heads, cams, stroke/bore, etc..
I might be wrong but for the price difference you can do a lot of neat stuff and really improve the performance. I'm not trying to start a turbo vs. SC thing here because that's been done to death, just speculating.
ORIGINAL: fazm

ya they gotta make money man. im still going to be getting it, you cant beat the performance of one
well there isn't really much you can do to the x to get to the performance the turbo can give you without exceeding the price of the turbo. The x-charger is very limited because of the lack of intercooling (which would cost alot of cash) and going heads/cams on top of the x would cost around another 2 grand+. Really a centri will outperform the x-charger for the money, but the turbo will still be ahead. I just could not bring myself to spend 6 grand+ all at once!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:11 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ya, heads, cams, and labor alone will be almost 3k. add a custom intercooler, theres another grand or so.

so 4k, plus 4k (assuming u install the x urself) ur lookinag at 8k and you will probably be able to get ... 350-400rwhp.

with the turbo ur lookin at around 6 grand installed. and u can run 400rwhp if you wanted

both cars have the same stock bottom end, and for 2k less u can have the turbo makin the same power.

im not anti roots blower, i own a roots blown car. just you cant beat a turbo when it comes to all out power. roots blowers are designed to be a street car first.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

wasn't the original price of the 4.0 turbo kit 4800 WITH tuner and everything else...now it is almost 5200? god damn, that is a ****load of money. with install, that will be almost 6500 bucks if not more
I am confused...how can you think thats alot of money when the turbo is already $4800.00....so it went up $400.00...thats nothing..its 8.5%

Now if it went up to $6000 + Install...then yes, that would be a large jump
Old 01-26-2007, 06:50 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

For me, there were a couple reasons why I decided to get the X instead of the PH unit....

1. I will be able to install the X in one day. If I were to get the PH, I would have to leave my car with them for a week.
2. I got my X in a group buy, and installing it myself, will save me at least $2500 over the cost and installation of the turbo, which I could use to do other fun things to the stang.
3. I may not be getting 300+hp and 300+tq, but with the Hi-Po kit and 2.8 pulley, I should be getting close to 280hp and 290tq roughly, which is good enough for me

In the end, it all comes to what you're looking for. I wanted more power at an affordable price, and I got it. Yes, the turbo will put out more, but I'm sure I'll be happy with the X.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:57 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Erdrickk

wasn't the original price of the 4.0 turbo kit 4800 WITH tuner and everything else...now it is almost 5200? god damn, that is a ****load of money. with install, that will be almost 6500 bucks if not more
I am confused...how can you think thats alot of money when the turbo is already $4800.00....so it went up $400.00...thats nothing..its 8.5%

LOL. 8.5% is nothing? 400 bucks to just jump in price is alot of dough my friend. if you can just throw away that money without caring, why don't you just send me 400 bucks?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

LOL. 8.5% is nothing? 400 bucks to just jump in price is alot of dough my friend. if you can just throw away that money without caring, why don't you just send me 400 bucks?
Got paypal? whats your email?

lol kidding

I dunno, its all about perspective I guess...sure $400.00 alone is alot of cash but when something already costs $4800 then $400 to me is not alot...I mean, if you are willing to spend $4800, whats another $400.00.....Do I make sense? lol

Anyways I wish they had stuff like this up in Canada....I would jump on it in a second....maybe I will have to take a road trip to the States one day [8D]
Old 01-26-2007, 07:35 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Got paypal? whats your email?

lol kidding

I dunno, its all about perspective I guess...sure $400.00 alone is alot of cash but when something already costs $4800 then $400 to me is not alot...I mean, if you are willing to spend $4800, whats another $400.00.....Do I make sense? lol

Anyways I wish they had stuff like this up in Canada....I would jump on it in a second....maybe I will have to take a road trip to the States one day [8D]
yea makes sense in a way, but you have to think about this....it costed 4800...that was the price. now it is 5200 just because....sure material costs may have gone up, but no way in hell it went up enough for them to jack it up 400 bucks! if anything they would make more money by bringing the price down a bit. if the turbo was priced near the x-charger pretty much nobody would be buying blowers anymore. i know it costs more to produce and there was alot of r&d, but 5200 bucks god damn!
Old 01-26-2007, 08:35 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

i dono about that man...rygen is still one step ahead of everyone with that built block [&:]
Im talkin about in are town. AZ man. Yea rygen doing his thing over there. ButDave's gunna be the first one in AZto have a PH Turbo on a 05-07V6 mustang! I would think. Hes gunna tear it up! the man can drive. He beat me NA'd with DRs! lol

Trust me, he isn't too far behind rygen! lol and like he said he's gunna show us what the stock block can do and hold up to! This is gunna be good.

Quick Reply: wtf powerhouse turbo up in price?