Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Awful Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:05 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Awful Gas Mileage

Quality of gasoline has something to do with it. Also with the addition of ethanol, MPG will drop naturally.
Also, do you reset your Average MPG and Gallons Used to ZERO at every fill up?
If you don't you will get less than accurate readings.

Fill it up, reset the two, then go right to the highway and do some driving for 50 miles or so. You might be surprised at the results.
If not, there is something wrong and it should be checked out by a professional to see what's causing it to run too rich.

I presume you are keeping your oil and filter changed regularly like every 3K to 5K miles?
Not doing so will make a big difference, a negative difference.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:18 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

Do you have any mods done on your Pony? Try disconnecting your battery for 15 mins... your computer may just need some spakin'.

ORIGINAL: retrosix
WTF? I get like 15 in the city and 19 on the highway. I've talked to enough people to know that most are getting like 18-19 in the city which is what i should be getting. This is starting to **** me off.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I've been getting nasty gas mileage too. Can't figure it out.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

same i been getting about 7 miles to a dollar...which really sucks..
Old 01-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

I get about 16-17mpg these days but I drive in horrible stop and go rush hour traffic. I also have 100lbs of sand in the trunk for the snow. I try not to put my foot in it - I'm usually careful but sometimes I have to - but I try not to do it that often.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:58 AM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

i never pay attention to my numbers. when the tank is low, i fill it up $25 worth. i only drive to work and back about 20 mins. 1 way.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I feel bad for many of you guys. I get around 20-21 around town in my stang, and I have a blower and 3.73 gears in the back.

Ethanol is definitely a factor in some cases. It simply contains less energy per unit of volume than gasoline.

Other things to check that can put a dent in mileage:
improper tire pressure and/or wheel alignment
dirty air filter
bad (leaking) injector(s)
Old 01-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Medicane84
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, how exactly do you check your miles per gallon - I have an 06'.

Some of you mentioned resetting something, etc.

Yea I share the same problem that most of you do, I have to refill more often than I would like to.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 AM
retrosix

What boggles my mind about this problem is that in the 4 times that I have had my car serviced at the selling dealership they haven't found anything wrong at all. Either they are slacking way hard (entirely possible) or the problem is something wierd and esoteric and not typical at all. I have noticed that my 6 cylinder does perform seemingly well, like better than it should be. Is it possible that my car got a better factory tune that other stock V6s? So many people have said "damn this car is fast" while riding shotgun, and most of the time I can see what they mean. I've driven some serious sports cars before, so I'm a bit jaded. But to those who haven't experience ferrari or AMG torque, then it sure would seem fast.

Whenever i take my V6 in i always kill time by test driving a GT and I swear that my car is equal to it until about 35 miles per hour. Once i get into 3rd gear the torque hits that flat curve for gas milage (which i don't get so i get screwed out of both). The only real difference i can feel is that there is about a 2 second delay between when you mash the petal in when trying to scoot from 50 to 80 or from 25-50 in the V6 but that delay is cut to about 1 second or less in the GT. I mean i can't really say with absolute certainty, because the cars were tested under completely different conditions with completly differnet mileage figures and octane ratings and what not. And of course, the GT feels a little stiffer at the wheel because of the extra suspension stuff.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

My bone stock stang has 24k on it and I get about 21 mpg. I drive it hard alot. Its like they said it's probably an ethanol deal. and if it isn't you need to really hammer on the dealer about it being a problem

Quick Reply: Awful Gas Mileage