Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

automatic transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 AM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: automatic transmission fluid

DonQ te gusta el Ron As they said ..its a sealed tranny. Race this made a thread about this and detailed step by step what he did. Look it up on the 4.0 collective
Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 PM
DonQ

Buenos dias Ron,
Thank you for your response. I cannot find the step by step thread that you referred to. Can you help me locate it. I am new to this site.
Thank You,
Don
Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

Here is the link http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=4874
Old 03-03-2007, 02:24 PM
djmessing

I made the same mistake. Drained the trans when I meant to drain the oil. I didn't even have the car on jacks, it was just sitting in the garage. Here is what I did to refill. I can't really recommend this since I am just a redneck, not a mechanic, but it worked OK for me. Basically it involves using a syringe to squirt fluid back into the transmission pan, from the bottom, through the hole in the center of the drain bolt. Note that this requires that you don't start the car between the time you drain the pan and refill it. You have to use another vehicle to go get the stuff you need!

Method / Procedure

The trans fluid drained into a catch pan. After I recovered from shock (I knew the trans had no fill tube), I used kitchen equipment to measure exactly how much had come out. In my case it was 10 and a half cups, or a little more than 2 and a half quarts. The fluid was contaminated since it had drained into a dirty oil catch pan. So I bought new fluid in the correct type and amount.

With the drain plug still removed from the transmission pan, I removed its center screw using a T-30 torx bit. In the kitchen I found a drinking straw that was the exact same diameter as the hole in the drain plug. The diameter of the straw was critical; it was just snug. It slipped in easily, but had enough tension against the hole in the drain plug that it was not going to be sloppy in the next phase. I cut the drinking straw to approx. 4" length, so that it would stick about 1 inch above the bolt when it was reinserted, and hang about two inches below the bolt head.

I found some clean, clear flexible vinyl fuel tube in the garage. It was marked 3/16 ID (inside diameter) and 5/16 OD (outside diameter). I had originally obtained this at my local Sears Hardware Store to carry on my motorcycle for emergency fuel siphoning activity. Actually I never needed it for that (yet), but it was just what I needed for this. I cut a five foot length of this tube so it would reach the area of the trans drain and extend out from underneath the car.

I made a slit in the end of the drinking straw piece and slipped the straw over the clear tubing. I used some really sticky clear packaging tape and sealed the connection between the tube and the straw. (If you could find some tubing that was an appropriate diamater, you could just use that and eliminate the drinking straw. My tubing was too big to fit into the hole in the bolt.)

At WalMart in the auto section I found the MixMizer Two Cycle Fuel Mixer by FloTool. http://www.autobarn.net/mix2cycfuelm.html It is basically a syringe that holds just two ounces. The tip of that fit right into the clear flexible tubing.

Now you're ready to inject the transmission pan: Reinsert the drain bolt (without the center screw). Put the straw into the hole in the drain bolt. Extract the plunger from the syringe. Fill the body of the syringe with trans fluid. Insert plunger and inject transmission pan with fluid! It took me about 25 minutes to finish the injection because you have to do it repeatedly, 2 oz. at a time. I think you have to do it about 40 times, taking care to put back the exact same amount that drained. Don't measure by adding up all your 2 oz. injections. Instead start with a stock of the correct amount of fluid, and inject all of it. That will be more precise. Maybe someone (Tim the Tool Man?) knows about a bigger syringe that would make this easier. Because the drinking straw was the right size, not a drop of fluid spilled during the injection.

Here was the hardest part, so plan it out: remove the straw and insert the screw into the center of the drain bolt. I found that a lot of fluid would drain out if I just removed the straw. Here you would benefit from having a friend with a LONG arm on the other side of the car who can put their finger over the hole as you remove the straw and pick up the screw and reinsert it. I did this myself with one hand, and it was the hardest part. I did put a bit of sealant on the screw where I noticed the factory had used some.

Finally, do your wife a favor and give the kitchen equipment a nice cleaning before putting it back in the cabinet. Otherwise your next batch of pancakes is going to be pink and taste like Mercon V.

Equipment List

New trans fluid (use correct type and amount)
T-30 torx bit
drinking straw
flexible tubing
sticky tape
MixMizer syringe
Permatex thread sealant