Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What’s up with our differentials?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What’s up with our differentials?

Actually john, they were at 150shot, but the bottle pressure was almost 1000psi, so it was like a 163 shot or whatever that works out to. but they werent dumping the clutch, they were actually slight slipping. And if im not mistaken, it actually blew the spider gears on the 2-3 shift, not at launch.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fazm

Actually john, they were at 150shot, but the bottle pressure was almost 1000psi, so it was like a 163 shot or whatever that works out to. but they werent dumping the clutch, they were actually slight slipping. And if im not mistaken, it actually blew the spider gears on the 2-3 shift, not at launch.
or was that when the motor popped? LOL! (OMG!! you people better stop modding your 4.0's!!! They are junk and will break!!! PH, SCRMING and RYGEN have all broke there motors!!! The sky is falling!!!! LOL) The thing is they had already replaced the axles... they abused the trac-lock more then anyone in here will probably ever do... and like I said the origins of the trac-lock are unknown... All of those previous insane launches need to be figured into the equation... LOL!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cobra232

ORIGINAL: enorym

I just got a t-lok and 3.73's what are you running scrming? Ive been waiting for my stock diff to break so I could get one...and it broke. Ill add my 2 cents in on this conversation...the 7.5 may be smaller than the 8.8 but thats less rotating mass. Meaning more power gets to the wheels. I also havent seen anyone with a broken t-lok...nor with any problems with aftermarket ring and pinion gears. How many of you have less than 30k on your stangs with stock blown diffs or making noise? I just blew mine up ive had my car for a year now and bought it new.
if you can break the stock open differential you can break the T-lok as they are very similar. the open diff actually has more metal in the carrier. the T-lok is made from the same casting as the open differential. it's machined out to hold the clutchpacks. the spyders are essentially the same. not interchangable but real close and identical in size and strength.

my advise if from years of experience not formulated opinion. may V6's have had problems in the past with the Ford T-lok which hasn't changed in any aspect since it was introduced in the early 80's. all T-lok parts are interchangable and rebuild kits are not year specific.

like i said i have seen alot blown on 3.8 cars and they will break on 4.0 cars. i would rather do the rear end once and forget about it then to have to spend money on another differential and install and possibly new R&P or more.

also in my experience the small clutchpacks wear out quickly. i went through 2 sets in about 45,000 miles and the clutch kits are $90/set. you can reverse stack them and add 2 more i believe and get better grip but i would rather have the T-lok slip instead of grip as the small spyders just don't handle alot of shock.

it doesn't matter than the S197 is different than the SN95's or Fox's the 7.5 rear is the same internally from day one to current production
if they are such trash then why has NO ONE HERE BROKE ONE???? I've got 45,000 HARD MILES on mine and it's still going strong... and I don't even have a girdle!!!